Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[#permalink]
My brother works at a Wall St. hedge fund and he confirms almost everyone (who works in Wall St. ) wears black suits (including black with pin stripes)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks cbreeze... ok, so I'm not color blind or crazy... :P

btw, river, congrats on your 1500 post and "CEO in training"... woot! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm loving this thread right now. Hopefully we can all agree that the "rules" are different (or nonexistent) in different places. New York City is different than Northern California which is different than Europe.

The bottom line for interview dress is that as long as you don't offend and make some effort to look decent and polished, you're fine. It sort of like a decent GMAT score - a good score doesn't get you in but a bad one can keep you out. A great suit won't get you into school, but showing up in shorts and a ratty t-shirt will probably keep you out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi there,

I've been thinking about buying clothes in the US, but online (ebay for instance). I am in Europe and given the current USD/EUR rate, I would probably find some good deals. Or maybe even better deals in Asia...

My "British" (I live in Ireland) size is a 42L. Would that be the same in the US/Asia? Would you recommend any particular store/brand to order to? Has anyone of you bought clothes online? Any good/bad experience?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lumone wrote:
Hi there,

I've been thinking about buying clothes in the US, but online (ebay for instance). I am in Europe and given the current USD/EUR rate, I would probably find some good deals.

My "British" (I live in Ireland) size is a 42L. Would that be the same in the US? Would you recommend any particular store/brand to order to? Has anyone of you bought clothes online? Any good/bad experience?

i have no experience and frankly would never want any. A well tailored suit makes the man. period. Women get MAC, peep toes, LV bags, and tennis bracelets, we get...none of that :(

On top of that, different designers cut their clothes differenetly. I'm a 52 coat in Kenneth Cole, but a 48 most other places, and I can't fit into a 52 Clavin Klien to save the free world.

Find a place close to home, try on lots, and do not get a floral tie to go with your pin striped suit, I don't care what they wear on ESPN, it still looks like crap.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
lumone wrote:
...My "British"...

p.s.

Go Man U!

Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
[#permalink]
Glory, glory, Manchester United!
:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V47
Send PM
[#permalink]
lumone wrote:
Hi there,

I've been thinking about buying clothes in the US, but online (ebay for instance). I am in Europe and given the current USD/EUR rate, I would probably find some good deals. Or maybe even better deals in Asia...

My "British" (I live in Ireland) size is a 42L. Would that be the same in the US/Asia? Would you recommend any particular store/brand to order to? Has anyone of you bought clothes online? Any good/bad experience?

Lumone, 42L will also be your size in US brands, but the Italians are roughly +10, so look for a 52L if you go Italian.

SierraTradingPost.com is great for finding awesome suits for cheap. I got a $1700 suit for $400 about a month ago for my UNC interview. Not sure about how their overseas shipping rate is, but that exchange rate should help regardless! If you find something you like, send me a PM; I can usually find a code for another 20% off their already reduced prices.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am lucky there is a hickey freeman outlet 5 miles from my house. Also a burberry outlet a little further north, I was thinking of getting a nice overcoat...gonna need that in the winter where ever I end up.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]
Here`s a question... I have an interview upcoming... what should i wear? The interview is over SKYPE with WEBCAM!
Suit-wise,i am sorted. Just had 4 suits and 7 shirts tailor fitted and made whilst i am in Vietnam... Italian Cashmere Wool, so all good quality. at approx $300 altogther :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
Here`s a question... I have an interview upcoming... what should i wear? The interview is over SKYPE with WEBCAM!
Suit-wise,i am sorted. Just had 4 suits and 7 shirts tailor fitted and made whilst i am in Vietnam... Italian Cashmere Wool, so all good quality. at approx $300 altogther :)

Professional on top, party on the bottom.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
I am lucky there is a hickey freeman outlet 5 miles from my house. Also a burberry outlet a little further north, I was thinking of getting a nice overcoat...gonna need that in the winter where ever I end up.

Burberry contracts out a lot of their production to Hickey Freeman :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
togafoot wrote:

Oh man, I'm adding Vietnam to my list of countries to visit this spring... to get suits! ;)

How long did it take to tailor make those suits?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Hoi An is the place for tailored suits... give it upto 3 days. They do the suit in a day, but you want them fitted so it can take a couple of times to get it just right.

To get to Hoi An, you can fly to Da Nang and get a taxi there. Its a lovely place.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
thanks for the tip!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
I am having some issues picking a suit and hoped you guys could chime in. I currently have three four suits to choose from:

Gray 2-button w/subtle (barely visible) square pattern: Just bought this weekend and have not yet altered. Purchased it with the intention of wearing a blue micro check shirt with a burnt orange tie. It looks good, but I’m not sure it’s business school interview appropriate. Furthermore, I already have three suits, one of which will probably get the job done. I may return this suit as it has not yet been altered.

Black 3-button w/pin stripes: This is the suit I am leaning toward. The pinstripes are visible, but don’t make me look like a 30s mobster or anything. The first downside to this suit is that I purchased it when I was less informed, picking up a 3-button (I am about 5’10 and somewhat slender). I had planned to wear this with a simple light blue shirt and a dark blue tie. The second downside to this suit is that it has a TINY (slightly larger than the size of a pin head) tear in the rear of the pants. 99% of people would never notice it unless I pointed it out. But, I’d hate to have somebody notice and wonder why I didn’t have it fixed. Again, it’s so slight, they might just think it’s a speck of dust or something.

Charcoal 3-button: I bought this suit and had it tailored, but it still seems to look a bit too big for me at times. The collar and shoulders aren’t as tight as I would prefer, but I am probably just being overly picky.

Black 3-button: This suit is more of a tapered cut, and is by far my least conservative suit. It’s one that you could wear to work with a tie, or out to a club with an interesting shirt and some funky shoes. I suppose I could go this route, as the right shirt and tie choice could work.

Originally posted by MeddlingKid on 03 Nov 2008, 12:15.
Last edited by MeddlingKid on 03 Nov 2008, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Go with the Charcoal 2 button.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10