GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Suitability of US B-schools

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Suitability of US B-schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2020, 20:45
Hi Team,

I want to check if US B schools are good in making a career switch from IT to FInance( Corporate Finance, Private Equity, Non-investment banking roles). If roles above are not suitable then please suggest which type of roles are possible in Finance. I am considering GMAT only because US Full-time MBA is considered good for a career switch unlike Indian Executive MBA.
I have the option of pursuing MBA from Indian B-schools also for roles likes IT consulting or Product/Program Manager. Pursuing MBA from US will be a big decision considering the financial aspects and Visa related issues in current scenario. So I want to know if a career shift is possible or not.

I am an Indian Male Engineer with not so good gpa.
I have around 6 yrs of experience in IT with Accenture
I have worked in an NGO for 3 yrs along with the job
Scored 700 in my first attempt but will retake GMAT in next couple of months.

Thank You!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge
Re: Suitability of US B-schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2020, 12:56
Hi achilles229, thanks for reaching out. Yes, US full-time/two-year programs will be a great option to make a career switch from IT to Finance. It is typically harder to make such a switch via a part-time or Executive offering. That said, there are certain areas/roles within finance that are harder to switch into, like Private Equity often requires some Finance/Banking experience already. It is worth considering the visa component, and targeting programs that have a STEM offering for their MBA, and targeting companies that have a history of sponsoring visas (typically larger firms/banks). Check school employment reports and check with current students/recent alumni to see what the job market has been like for them. Many programs will have a Finance-focused student club, so that would be a good place to reach out.
And yes, with a not so good GPA, I would put your effort into your GMAT to ideally get to 730+.
Good luck!
Kate

achilles229 wrote:
Hi Team,

I want to check if US B schools are good in making a career switch from IT to FInance( Corporate Finance, Private Equity, Non-investment banking roles). If roles above are not suitable then please suggest which type of roles are possible in Finance. I am considering GMAT only because US Full-time MBA is considered good for a career switch unlike Indian Executive MBA.
I have the option of pursuing MBA from Indian B-schools also for roles likes IT consulting or Product/Program Manager. Pursuing MBA from US will be a big decision considering the financial aspects and Visa related issues in current scenario. So I want to know if a career shift is possible or not.

I am an Indian Male Engineer with not so good gpa.
I have around 6 yrs of experience in IT with Accenture
I have worked in an NGO for 3 yrs along with the job
Scored 700 in my first attempt but will retake GMAT in next couple of months.

Thank You!

Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Suitability of US B-schools

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate