Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [149]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [47]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [46]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially ser [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) - it refers to pollutant (which is sulfur dioxide).
- 'to deal' is the correct idiom ??
(B) - of dealing isn't right
- 'because of diminishing doesn't seem correct'
(C) - i think deal requires 'to' preceding it
(D) and (E) out. Special appears to suggest one of a kind.

I'll go with A
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially ser [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
lexis wrote:
Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.

A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

What is the difference between CAPABILITY and ABILITY?

In my opinion, the difference is very little. Here are the definitions I looked up:

a·bil·i·ty Audio Help /əˈbɪlɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-bil-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties. 1. power or capacity to do or act physically, mentally, legally, morally, financially, etc.
2. competence in an activity or occupation because of one's skill, training, or other qualification: the ability to sing well.
3. abilities, talents; special skills or aptitudes: Composing music is beyond his abilities.

ca·pa·bil·i·ty Audio Help /ˌkeɪpəˈbɪlɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[key-puh-bil-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties. 1. the quality of being capable; capacity; ability: His capability was unquestionable.
2. the ability to undergo or be affected by a given treatment or action: the capability of glass in resisting heat.
3. Usually, capabilities. qualities, abilities, features, etc., that can be used or developed; potential: Though dilapidated, the house has great capabilities.

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Business Consulting
 Q44  V25 GMAT 2: 600  Q50  V22
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO A.

I faced the same question when I was taking the paper based SETS..
"ability to" is preferred to "capability of" .. Hence only A and E remain..

Between these 2, A is the better choice
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [6]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.

A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal[/quote]

All the parts in RED are awkward and hence wrong. I don't think you have to go for deciding b/w especially and specially.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
+1 for A.

There are three possible antecedents of "it":

1) Sulphur dioxide

2) acid rain : the phrase containing acid rain is mentioned as a modifier(seperated by commas) - a classic middleman. It is not the subject of the sentence and if you remove it from the sentence, the sentence will still hold. Hence ruled out as antecedent.

3) pollutant: pollutant in the sentence is used as a category/type and not as a specific entity. It refers to a specific entity, hence pollutant can't be the antecedent.

So "it" indeed refers to Sulphur dioxide.

INCORRECT :John encouraged Jerry to start a pest control business because he felt that the residents of the city would be willing to pay for the same.

Here the issue is the ambiguous answer to the question "Who felt that the residents ....?". Was it John or was it Jerry. Since the answer can be any of the two, usage of "he" is ambiguous here.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [8]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer choice D does sound a little awkward, but I think the bigger issue is the difference between "especially" and "specially"

https://englishplus.com/grammar/00000287.htm

That site is a pretty quick description of the difference, but basically you use especially to describe something that has an extraordinary characteristic (as in this case, the pollutant is extraordinarily serious). Specially is used when the thing you are describing has a purpose to be described that way (those shoes were specially made for running.)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [10]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
If you replace the word "capability" with "ability" you're left with "ability of the respiratory system to deal with..." - similar to "the respiratory system's ability to deal with..."

On the GMAT the answer will be the "best" answer choice. Simpler is better on the GMAT exam. THe use of ability vs capability can be debatable - but what is clear is that "the respiratory system's ability to deal with" is simpler than the "ability of the respiratory system to deal with..."

It eliminates many phrases that end in "OF", for example "capability OF THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM" to deal with. The topic here is "ability" so by rephrasing as "respiratory system's ability to deal with..." we capture it in the simplest way - which is preferred for the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [16]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos