Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic [#permalink]
I chose option C
appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at
But the second part of option C is suspicious .
The second part of the sentence tells a universal fact , but the original sense of the sentence is not a universal fact .
Also what will come at the end of the sentence at or on?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
arvind910619 wrote:
I chose option C
appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at
But the second part of option C is suspicious .
The second part of the sentence tells a universal fact , but the original sense of the sentence is not a universal fact .
Also what will come at the end of the sentence at or on?

Hello arvind910619,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :)

Use of although never sighted is incorrect in Choice C. The original sentence says that the Sunspots have not been seen so far on the Sun’s poles or equator. But the way Choice C is worded, it seems to convey that Sunspots never sighted anything on the equator.

Also, use of at is not correct. The preposition on should be used in the context of the sentence as the sentence says that Sunspots are visible on the surface of the Sun, but have not been seen on the Sun's poles.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Can 'have' and 'are' be parallel? They are brilliant but have never practiced the sport. Seems funny.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
OreoShake wrote:
Can 'have' and 'are' be parallel? They are brilliant but have never practiced the sport. Seems funny.

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, remember that parallelism is primarily a logical structure, and the grammar is secondary to the logic. Remember that we always can create parallel structures that are grammatically flawless and logically absurd.
I cooked dinner with fresh carrots, with enthusiasm, and with my friend Chris.

The short answer to your question is "yes"---of course "are" and "have" can be parallel. In fact, "is/are" can be parallel with any other verb. The caveat, as with all parallelism, is that the parallelism must be logically sound.
He is a brilliant scientist and has several honorary degrees from universities around the world.
She is an authority on submarine warfare and has written several award-winning books on the topic.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja - I solved this question for the second time and unfortunately got it wrong both the times. Your detailed analysis on this question would be highly appreciated.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ydmuley wrote:
Hello GMATNinja - I solved this question for the second time and unfortunately got it wrong both the times. Your detailed analysis on this question would be highly appreciated.

Hi ydmuley ,

Can I explain you please? :)

We have

Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.

Quote:
(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on

Okay, this sentence implies the sun spots were not seen in the past and not even now. But still they are visible as dark spots. Hence, Correct answer.

Quote:
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun

This choice is run on. Try to connect this choice with the original sentence. You will find the error as highlighted below:

Sunspots are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun the Sun’s poles or equator.

Did you notice what I am saying? Sun the Sun's poles?? What is this? Hence, Incorrect.

Quote:
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at

Okay, here is the catch. It says never sighted at. So, this happened in the past. Does that mean they are sighted now? We don't know, right?

Now, you could ask me which is the correct idiom "sighted at" or "sighted on". My answer will be I don't care about idioms unless I don't have any other option than to care about it. Technically, I believe sighted on means I have an object on which I am having something while sighted at means at some place? Again, I don't care about it.

Hence, it is not giving the intended meaning. Hence, out.

Quote:
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at

The usage of having been is incorrect here. Although should have a clause with it. But when I am saying 'never having been..', I am missing the correct usage.

Quote:
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun's surface, which have never been sighted on

It implies Surface of the sun have been sighted on the pole. Lol. This cannot happen. Hence, Incorrect.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
skim wrote:
Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.

(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at

Let me try my hands on this one. :-)

INTENDED MEANING --
Sunspots are the vortices of gas associated with the strong electromagnetic activity. These sunspots are visible as dark spots on the surface of the sun but these sunspots are till date never sighted on the sun's poles or equator.

Quote:

The intended meaning is perfectly clear. Correct!
Plural verbs “are” and “have never been sighted” agree in number and make sense with the plural Subject “Sunspots”. The verbs are both logically and gramatically parallel.

Quote:

There are overall 4 errors in this choice,
1. The VERB CONSTRUCTION -- "never have been sighted" is INCORRECT. (Note : Here, never is an adverb). The correct construction is -- "have never been sighted", which is not used in this choice though.
2. MEANING ERROR -- If the dark spots are never sighted on the surface of the sun, then how are these sunspots visible as dark spots. Therefore, the meaning implied in the current form of this option is NON-SENSICAL. Also, as per the intended meaning it was that those sunspots are never sighted at the sun's poles or equator but not the sun's surface.
3. There is NO CONTRAST MARKER (eg, but) in this choice, thus the intended contrast is lost in this choice.
4. The sentence construction is even awkward for this option choice, just notice at the last part of this choice and try to connect it with the non-underlined part of the sentence, it will be as follows,
Sunspots are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun the Sun’s poles or equator. This construction is ungrammatical.

Quote:

This option choice is NOT as clear as option A. Also,
This option choice violates parallelism because the verb “appear” is not parallel to the adjective “sighted”. "sighted" is a VERB-ed modifier here, as the action of sighting is not performed by the sunspots themselves. INCORRECT.

Quote:

The structure, "never having been" is incorrect. The correct structure is -- "having + never + been".
Also, the usage of "HAVING + Verb-ED" is incorrect in this choice. HAVING + VERBed is used to denote the previous of the two causally related actions but there is no need of such logical sequencing as per the intended meaning of the sentence. INCORRECT.

Quote:

"Sun’s surface” has never been sighted is not what the sentence wants to convey. It’s the Sunspots that have never been sighted on the Sun’s surface. So the placement of clause “which have…” makes this choice incorrect. Also, there is NO CONTRAST MARKER present to show the intended contrast. INCORRECT.

NOTE : The usage of "although" is NOT wrong either in choice C or D. Its correct!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
daagh wrote:
This is indeed not a test of //ism; rather it is about meaning and grammar. If you are thinking about the verb //ism here, there is only one // marker, namely, the fanboy conjunction but. The verbs on either sides of the ‘but’ are in present and present perfect tenses, which is acceptable.

(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on ---- correct choice.
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun ----- the vortices have been sighted on the surface; Choice says they never have been sighted; total reversal of the original meaning
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at ---- although never have been is a fragment; The subordinate conjunction’ although’ requires a subject and verb or minimum a verb’
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at – ‘although never having been sighted at’ is not a sub-clause; same problem as in C
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun's surface, which have never been sighted on – which flouts the relative pronoun touch rule

A is the choice

Hi
Do we need a comma before the FANBOYS?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
LevanKhukhunashvili wrote:
Hi
Do we need a comma before the FANBOYS?

Yes, but would suggest you don't select/reject an option just based on the presence or absence of comma before FANBOYS.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the correct choice! Before we dive in, here is the original question, with any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

After a quick glance over the options, a couple major differences jump out:

1. How they begin: visible as / appear as
2. Verb tense: have been sighted / sighted / having been sighted

It's always a good idea to start with any issue that will eliminate 2-3 options at once. Let's start with #1 on our list because it'll eliminate the most options to get us started!

While it may seem that appear and visible are interchangeable terms, they do mean slightly different things:

Visible = The object already exists, is not moving, and you are able to see it. (The stop sign is visible from a distance of 200 yards.)
Appear = The object is created as you're looking, or it moves into your path of vision. (My dog appears at my feet when he's ready to go for a walk.)

It makes more sense in this context to say that sunspots are visible on the surface of the Sun. They already exist, and they aren't moving into your vision path - they are stationary. The sentence is merely stating that you are able to see them, not that they move around or are created in front of your very eyes.

Therefore, we can eliminate options C, D, and E because they use the more vague "appear," rather than the clearer term "visible."

Now that we have it narrowed down to only 2 options, let's take a closer look at the remaining options:

This option is CORRECT! It uses the clear term "visible" to describe sunspots, and it makes logical sense to use "have never been sighted" to refer only to the poles and equator.

This is INCORRECT because it drastically changes the original meaning of the sentence! The original sentence states that we can see sunspots on the surface of the Sun, with the exception of the poles and equator. This sentence says they have never been sighted on the surface, which isn't true!

There you go - option A is the correct choice! It uses clear terminology and makes logical sense!

**************************************************************************************************************

Now, I'm sure you're wondering what would happen if we tackled #2 on the list instead. Here is how we could break down this question based on verb tenses:

This is CORRECT because it uses the correct verb tense (present perfect) to show that they weren't found in the past, and haven't been found in the present too.

While this sentence uses the correct verb tense, the location of the verb is wrong! In this case, it's referring to the surface of the Sun, which doesn't make sense - we CAN see sunspots on the surface! This is INCORRECT because it drastically changes the intended meaning, which is a big no-no on the GMAT!

This is INCORRECT because it uses past tense to show that the sunspots were not visible in the past, but says nothing about the present. The original sentence suggests that the sunspots are still not visible on the poles or equator today, so we need to use present perfect tense to show that.

This option is INCORRECT for a couple reasons. First, it doesn't make sense to say that sunspots aren't visible AT the poles or equator - it's clearer to say they aren't visible ON those areas. Second, it uses the wrong verb tense (past perfect) in passive voice, which changes the meaning somewhat. This states that sunspots were not visible on the poles and equator in the past, but doesn't say anything about the present!

This option does use the correct verb tense, but it is still INCORRECT because it uses the term "appear" rather than "visible," which is much clearer.

As you can see, starting your process with #2 on our list is much more complicated and doesn't help you eliminate large chunks of options easily. You can certainly answer a question this way, but it may take you MUCH longer to arrive at the correct answer!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

You mentioned A is correct by using have never been sighted on (past perfect) but said D is wrong because of that as well?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Expert Reply
icandoit1995 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the correct choice! Before we dive in, here is the original question, with any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

After a quick glance over the options, a couple major differences jump out:

1. How they begin: visible as / appear as
2. Verb tense: have been sighted / sighted / having been sighted

It's always a good idea to start with any issue that will eliminate 2-3 options at once. Let's start with #1 on our list because it'll eliminate the most options to get us started!

While it may seem that appear and visible are interchangeable terms, they do mean slightly different things:

Visible = The object already exists, is not moving, and you are able to see it. (The stop sign is visible from a distance of 200 yards.)
Appear = The object is created as you're looking, or it moves into your path of vision. (My dog appears at my feet when he's ready to go for a walk.)

It makes more sense in this context to say that sunspots are visible on the surface of the Sun. They already exist, and they aren't moving into your vision path - they are stationary. The sentence is merely stating that you are able to see them, not that they move around or are created in front of your very eyes.

Therefore, we can eliminate options C, D, and E because they use the more vague "appear," rather than the clearer term "visible."

Now that we have it narrowed down to only 2 options, let's take a closer look at the remaining options:

This option is CORRECT! It uses the clear term "visible" to describe sunspots, and it makes logical sense to use "have never been sighted" to refer only to the poles and equator.

This is INCORRECT because it drastically changes the original meaning of the sentence! The original sentence states that we can see sunspots on the surface of the Sun, with the exception of the poles and equator. This sentence says they have never been sighted on the surface, which isn't true!

There you go - option A is the correct choice! It uses clear terminology and makes logical sense!

**************************************************************************************************************

Now, I'm sure you're wondering what would happen if we tackled #2 on the list instead. Here is how we could break down this question based on verb tenses:

This is CORRECT because it uses the correct verb tense (present perfect) to show that they weren't found in the past, and haven't been found in the present too.

While this sentence uses the correct verb tense, the location of the verb is wrong! In this case, it's referring to the surface of the Sun, which doesn't make sense - we CAN see sunspots on the surface! This is INCORRECT because it drastically changes the intended meaning, which is a big no-no on the GMAT!

This is INCORRECT because it uses past tense to show that the sunspots were not visible in the past, but says nothing about the present. The original sentence suggests that the sunspots are still not visible on the poles or equator today, so we need to use present perfect tense to show that.

This option is INCORRECT for a couple reasons. First, it doesn't make sense to say that sunspots aren't visible AT the poles or equator - it's clearer to say they aren't visible ON those areas. Second, it uses the wrong verb tense (past perfect) in passive voice, which changes the meaning somewhat. This states that sunspots were not visible on the poles and equator in the past, but doesn't say anything about the present!

This option does use the correct verb tense, but it is still INCORRECT because it uses the term "appear" rather than "visible," which is much clearer.

As you can see, starting your process with #2 on our list is much more complicated and doesn't help you eliminate large chunks of options easily. You can certainly answer a question this way, but it may take you MUCH longer to arrive at the correct answer!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

You mentioned A is correct by using have never been sighted on (past perfect) but said D is wrong because of that as well?

Thanks for the question, icandoit1995!

A is correct because it uses PRESENT PERFECT tense. D is wrong because it uses PAST PERFECT tense.

I hope that clears it up!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear AnthonyRitz GMATGuruNY AjiteshArun IanStewart EducationAisle MartyTargetTestPrep DmitryFarber GMATRockstar GMATNinja VeritasPrepHailey

Why is choice E. wrong?
I see no grammatical error in it since grammatically and logically "which" must logically modify "dark spotS", not "surface" (The singular "surface" doesn't agree with plural verb after "which". Also, its meaning is completely logical.).

If choice A. and E. are both logical, am I forced to choice A. by default?

Originally posted by kornn on 20 May 2020, 04:05.
Last edited by kornn on 04 Jul 2020, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Why is choice E. wrong?
I see no grammatical error in it since grammatically and logically "which" must logically modify "dark spotS", not "surface" (The singular "surface" doesn't agree with plural verb after "which". Also, its meaning is completely logical.).

If choice A. and E. are both logical, am I forced to choice A. by default?

A is correctly parallel: Sunspots are this... but are not this... is essentially the structure. E is a bit more convoluted in phrasing, and conveys, as you point out, a different meaning. It says that "dark spots" have never been seen at the sun's equator, but I don't think it's reasonable to think that's what the sentence is trying to say. The sentence intends to talk about whether sunspots have been seen at the sun's equator. So to me, A is clearly right here.

Regardless, if A is well-written and conveys a logical meaning, pick A. Don't pick a different answer choice that changes the meaning. It's rare you'll need to worry about that, though.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Why is choice E. wrong?

When John cooks, splattered bits of grease invariably appear as dark spots on his shirt, which have never been sighted on his left sleeve.
Here, the portion in red conveys superfluous information and thus is unwarranted.
Common sense tells us the following:
The dark spots in blue must be found on a particular portion of John's shirt, perhaps the collar.
Clearly, these spots on the collar could not also have been sighted on the left sleeve.
Any spots on John's left sleeve would have to be DIFFERENT from those on his collar.
Thus, there is no justification for the portion in red.

Option E makes a similar error.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
When John cooks, splattered bits of grease invariably appear as dark spots on his shirt, which have never been sighted on his left sleeve.
Here, the portion in red conveys superfluous information and thus is unwarranted.
Common sense tells us the following:
The dark spots in blue must be found on a particular portion of John's shirt, perhaps the collar.
Clearly, these spots on the collar could not also have been sighted on the left sleeve.

Any spots on John's left sleeve would have to be DIFFERENT from those on his collar.
Thus, there is no justification for the portion in red.

Option E makes a similar error.

But without the red portion, we wouldn't know where dark spots do not appear.
I think "which" modifier, as a non-essential modifier, provides extra information describing the blue portion.
Then why is the portion in red superfluous or redundant?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
why is the portion in red superfluous or redundant?

Consider the following case:
At 10am today, sunspots appear as dark spots on the surface of the sun.
Let's call these dark spots A, B and C.
Since A, B and C have ONLY JUST APPEARED, they DID NOT EXIST before their appearance at 10am.
Moreover -- since A, B and C did not exist before 10am -- they clearly have never been sighted on the Sun's poles.
For this reason, the information conveyed by the red modifier seems superfluous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Dear GMATGuruNY,
GMATGuruNY wrote:
varotkorn wrote:
why is the portion in red superfluous or redundant?

Consider the following case:
At 10am today, sunspots appear as dark spots on the surface of the sun.
Let's call these dark spots A, B and C.
Since A, B and C have ONLY JUST APPEARED, they DID NOT EXIST before their appearance at 10am.
Moreover -- since A, B and C did not exist before 10am -- they clearly have never been sighted on the Sun's poles.
For this reason, the information conveyed by the red modifier seems superfluous.

I'm not sure if I'm mistaken.
Choice E: Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, appear as dark spots on the Sun's surface, which have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.

If "dark spots" APPEAR, then they MUST necessarily BE SIGHTED, right?
So, the "never" in choice E. is contradictory.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts