Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [11]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Suppose I have promised to keep a confidence and someone asks me a que [#permalink]
What do ya' mean by seems to be the closest one...Aren't some of the others close too?

Pl post explanation along with your answers!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Suppose I have promised to keep a confidence and someone asks me a que [#permalink]
sunaimshadmani wrote:
IMO C. As it seems to be the closest one

Can anyone suggest how to approach these kind of questions......please help one month to go and still struggling with 'similar reasoning' type of questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Here is how I solved it:
There are two promises:
A. Keep the secret
B. Tell the truth
But, if you are asked the question, you can either keep the secret and lie (break Promise B) or tell the truth but break the confidence (break Promise A). So you have to break ONE of these necessarily.

Answer C follows the same logic. We have:
A. Right to say what we want
B. Obligation to be civil.

But if you say what you want then you won't be civil (Break B) or you can be civil but then can't say what you want (Break A). So you have to break ONE of these necessarily.

I hope this is clear.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
for me B seems to be a close one.
any other explanations for C?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
Send PM
Answer choices are in this order in the original question

Suppose I have promised to keep a confidence and someone asks me a question that I cannot answer truthfully without thereby breaking the promise. Obviously, I cannot both keep and break the same promise. Therefore, one cannot be obliged both to answer all questions truthfully and to keep all promises.

Which one of the following arguments is most similar in its reasoning to the argument above?

A) It is claimed that we have the unencumbered right to say whatever we want. It is also claimed that we have the obligation to be civil to others. But civility requires that we not always say what we want. So, it cannot be true both that we have the unencumbered right to say whatever we want and that we have the duty to be civil.

B) Some politicians could attain popularity with voters only by making extravagant promises; this, however, would deceive the people. So, since the only way for some politicians to be popular is to deceive, and any politician needs to be popular, it follows that some politicians must deceive.

C) If we put a lot of effort into making this report look good, the client might think we did so because we believed our proposal would not stand on its own merits. On the other hand, if we do not try to make the report look good, the client might think we are not serious about her business. So, whatever we do, we risk her criticism.

D) If creditors have legitimate claims against a business and the business has the resources to pay those debts, then the business is obliged to pay them. Also, if a business has obligations to pay debts, then a court will force it to pay them. But the courts did not force this business to pay its debts, so either the creditors did not have legitimate claims or the business did not have sufficient resources.

E) If we extend our business hours, we will either have to hire new employees or have existing employees work overtime. But both new employees and additional overtime would dramatically increase our labor costs. We cannot afford to increase labor costs, so we will have to keep our business hours as they stand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Suppose I have promised to keep a confidence and someone asks me a que [#permalink]
LSAT - June 2007, Logical Reasoning - Section 2, Q12 - Keeping confidence : On youtube has the explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
itzmyzone911 wrote:
Suppose I have promised to keep a confidence and someone asks me a question that I cannot answer truthfully without thereby breaking the promise. Obviously, I cannot both keep and break the same promise. Therefore, one cannot be obliged both to answer all questions truthfully and to keep all promises.

Which one of the following arguments is most similar in its reasoning to the argument above?

(A) Some politicians could attain popularity with voters only by making extravagant promises; this, however, would deceive the people. So, since the only way for some politicians to be popular is to deceive, and any politician needs to be popular, it follows that some politicians must deceive.

(B) If we put a lot of effort into making this report look good, the client might think we did so because we believed our proposal would not stand on its own merits. On the other hand, if we do not try to make the report look good, the client might think we are not serious about her business. So, whatever we do, we risk her criticism.

(C) It is claimed that we have the unencumbered right to say whatever we want. It is also claimed that we have the obligation to be civil to others. But civility requires that we not always say what we want. So, it cannot be true both that we have the unencumbered right to say whatever we want and that we have the duty to be civil.

(D) If we extend our business hours, we will either have to hire new employees or have existing employees work overtime. But both new employees and additional overtime would dramatically increase our labor costs. We cannot afford to increase labor costs, so we will have to keep our business hours as they stand.

(E) If creditors have legitimate claims against a business and the business has the resources to pay those debts, then the business is obliged to
pay them. Also, if a business has obligations to pay debts, then a court will force it to pay them. But the courts did not force this business
to pay its debts, so either the creditors did not have legitimate claims or the business did not have sufficient resources.

Lets have some discussions first after which OA shall be posted...

Source: LSAT papers

This is How I think:
If I always follow A then I will not be able to follow B always
If I always follow B then I will not be able to follow A always
So I can not follow both A and B both at once.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts