Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6116 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Target 750, but achieved 570?! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
stickman, sorry to hear the bad news. And thank you for such a lively debrief -- it's awesome to see that you still have a lot of spirit, even after a not-so-enjoyable day.

The thing that jumps out at me -- loudly -- is just the issue of burnout and a lack of consistency. As I'm sure you know, the GMAT is an adaptive test, which means that the thing will absolutely eat you for breakfast if you miss easy questions that you're capable of getting right. And it doesn't take many of those avoidable errors to completely ruin your day. You can miss as many hard questions as you want, but if you miss stuff that's easy for you, you're toast in a big hurry.

If the GMAT were willing to show you exactly which questions you missed, I can promise that you'd roll your eyes at at least a half-dozen, maybe more like a dozen. So sure, it's always good to raise your "score ceiling" by improving your skills, but the most important thing is to become mind-numbingly consistent in your approach to everything so that you don't miss the cupcakes.

I don't think that this article will blow your mind, but it might help you think a little bit about what happened, and how to move forward: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 46658.html

Good luck with your retake, and please let me know how it goes! I'll keep an eye out for the next debrief. :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6116 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
stickman wrote:
broall wrote:
Hi stickman,

Sorry about your score. The GMAT score could be effected by many external factors, such as the mental health, the noisy sound at the test center, and internal factors, such as your real abilities. I think that you have lost your score in some sections. So I suggest that you order ESR file to know more what happened on your test day.

Next, I suggest you practice harder. Here is some common advice that I get from many people with GMAT 700+ have shared:

RC: Practice reading everyday. Try to read as much as you can. Improving your reading skill is the best way to improve your RC score.

SC & CR: Read Manhattan SC guide at least twice. Practice OG questions and other high-quality questions only. You could re-practice OG questions to understand the logic behind those questions.

You may find these posts useful
https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-a ... 53936.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-680-to-227741.html

After all, in case that you still get stuck with Verbal, you could purchase an online course so the tutor could help you improve your weakness.

Cheers broall . Your LSAT type questions have been pretty useful - but yes I guess it's good to go back to the basics and go back to the OG questions. The trouble is I've pretty much exhausted all of the OG17 questions from both V and Q and the main OG. Shall I still re-do them or will it affect my pre-thinking?

No problem. You could practice OG questions from other versions. Check this list for more:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-officia ... 28566.html

My friends who have scored 700+ said that they often practiced OG questions at least twice. The first time is to get farmiliar with the concept, the next time is to understand the logic.

If you re-do an OG question, you could still remember the OA of that question so you could quickly come to the correct OA. However, you should pay some time to read every choice and try to understand why 4 wrong choices are incorrect. After that, try to understand why the OA is correct.

Or you could be familiar with the logic of some areas in CR sections. Thus, you could make pre-thinking what the question is trying to say. After reading stem question, try to pre-think the solution before reading any answer choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
egmat wrote:
stickman - I am sorry that you were unable to do well on the GMAT. I understand your frustration of not having been able to score high despite putting in the hard work. We have a webinar this weekend to help people improve from low GMAT scores. I would recommend that you attend the same.
Also take a look at an article that I co-authored some time back to see if any of these traits resonate with you.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Thanks Rajat. I do remember watching a couple of your helpful webinars. Will continue to do so. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
broall wrote:
Hi stickman,

Sorry about your score. The GMAT score could be effected by many external factors, such as the mental health, the noisy sound at the test center, and internal factors, such as your real abilities. I think that you have lost your score in some sections. So I suggest that you order ESR file to know more what happened on your test day.

Next, I suggest you practice harder. Here is some common advice that I get from many people with GMAT 700+ have shared:

RC: Practice reading everyday. Try to read as much as you can. Improving your reading skill is the best way to improve your RC score.

SC & CR: Read Manhattan SC guide at least twice. Practice OG questions and other high-quality questions only. You could re-practice OG questions to understand the logic behind those questions.

You may find these posts useful
https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-a ... 53936.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-680-to-227741.html

After all, in case that you still get stuck with Verbal, you could purchase an online course so the tutor could help you improve your weakness.

Cheers broall . Your LSAT type questions have been pretty useful - but yes I guess it's good to go back to the basics and go back to the OG questions. The trouble is I've pretty much exhausted all of the OG17 questions from both V and Q and the main OG. Shall I still re-do them or will it affect my pre-thinking?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
x

GMATNinja - thank you!

You're one of the members whose explanations I can completely understand when going through questions on GMATClub - vital source of info!

As broall suggested, I think I'll go through the OG questions again all of them and try and do them as if I'm looking at the first time. Is there much point going through new resources right now, or just re-do the stuff I've already done so far? I don't want to build a false sense of ability improvement by doing them again, but I guess it's good to go back to the drawing board? I've also used my GMATprep exams (all 6 of them) but they were all pretty much low 600s score, so I'll only attempt them again when I feel more confident of going 700+. Still have about 3-4 MGMAT CATs left.

I will surely post a (hopefully massive improvement) debrief!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Target 750, but achieved 570?! [#permalink]
Received my ESR.

Quite shocking with regards to my CR ability. Attached. :dazed

I guess my next question is: did my poor ability in CR limit my ability to get harder questions in CR/RC ? Is it adaptive so much so that all 3 need to be in form?
Attachments

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 12.00.17.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 12.00.17.png [ 208.65 KiB | Viewed 2517 times ]

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6116 [0]
Send PM
stickman wrote:
Received my ESR.

Quite shocking with regards to my CR ability. Attached. :dazed

I guess my next question is: did my poor ability in CR limit my ability to get harder questions in CR/RC ? Is it adaptive so much so that all 3 need to be in form?

Great, now you know what your weekness is. Try to re-practice and use error log to keep track of everything. Good luck
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts