Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Re: Tattoos and taboos [#permalink]
Kudos
2012dreams wrote:
yea, i've thought about that which is why i always wear pantsuits to networking events and interviews, i just hate having to think my life will be confined to pants should i really try to go the consulting route. oh well, nothing i can do about it now

My male perspective exactly. If it were socially acceptable for dudes to wear skirts to interviews or ever (outside Scotland), I'd do it a lot more often. They look a lot more comfortable than pants. Summers would be a bajillion times more bearable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Kudos
I think I'd be the odd one out here.

I promised myself that if I got into the school of my choice, I'd get a tattoo on my arm.

I can't break that promise. This will be my first.

Hope there are some good tattoo shops in Evanston
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
coakleym wrote:
My male perspective exactly. If it were socially acceptable for dudes to wear skirts to interviews or ever (outside Scotland), I'd do it a lot more often. They look a lot more comfortable than pants. Summers would be a bajillion times more bearable.

Even in Scotland they would think it very odd, as it is formal wear equivalent to a dinner jacket.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Kudos

Originally posted by gmatbschool on 11 Apr 2010, 20:44.
Last edited by gmatbschool on 12 Jul 2010, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Visible tattoos will make you standout at any program...I know lots of people with them but most have one or two small ones that you dont ever see when they are in t-shirts. Our generation is becoming much more accepting but honestly MBA types are probably overly conservative and most are very career focused so wouldnt dream of getting loads of tattoos out of fear of what it may do, even if they would love to get them. Maybe in 20 years it wont be shocking to see more people with them but right now the people making hiring decisions are a from a generation where tattoos were for sailors, soldiers, bikers, and criminals. Getting a tattoo is a huge commitment, even more so when they drop below your elbow...and multiply that commitment every inch closer to your hands or neckline you get.

That said there are industries where tattoos wont hurt you and may infact be a benefit. If you are going into a creative area like advertising you can get away with 1000x more than you ever could at goldman.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 814 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Yes .. tatoos are more common now a days :) I wish you will not have any problem.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
You may encounter some problems.

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
You may want to stick to pants suits or wear dark stockings to cover it up. My old firm while not outright banning visible tattoos very much frowned on them. It comes down to what the firm thinks their clients will feel about a consultant with a tattoo. As a consultant you'll generally be working with more senior people in the organization (read: older) who may not think that tattoos are professional. Clients can be very fussy about the appearance of their consultants. I even worked with a client who made us send home women on our team if they wore open toed shoes.

It also depends on how big it is, if it's small, say less than an inch, it probably wouldn't be as big a deal as if it's bigger and harder to miss.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
yea, i've thought about that which is why i always wear pantsuits to networking events and interviews, i just hate having to think my life will be confined to pants should i really try to go the consulting route. oh well, nothing i can do about it now
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
I've got a bigger one on my foot that shows in most shoes, even in a pantsuit. Dark stockings are the way to go. I've also been known to wrap it in a length of Ace bandage or moleskin, haha. (I did that for school interviews with longer pants, and it seems to have worked). I'm not into consulting, so I'm hoping I won't have to worry about it forever. But for interviews, etc., I figure it's better safe than sorry...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Trust me, you aint got nothing on my tattoos and I don't think they hurt me during recruiting. If you conceal them most of the way people wont really think about it too much. Yes older people may not like them as much and it depends on the industry...but personally if a company cared that much about my tattoos (which are barely noticable in a suit) not to hire me I wouldnt enjoy working there anyways.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
i just hate having to think my life will be confined to pants should i really try to go the consulting route.

i think i'd like to snip this and make it my new signature
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
unplugged wrote:

I promised myself that if I got into the school of my choice, I'd get a tattoo on my arm.

None in Evanston but let me know if you are serious and I can tell you the names of a few great artists in Chicago.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
---
None in Evanston but let me know if you are serious and I can tell you the names of a few great artists in Chicago.

I'm very serious river.

If everything goes as per the plan, I'll have it before the KWEST trip.

Pls let me know
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
You may want to stick to pants suits or wear dark stockings to cover it up. My old firm while not outright banning visible tattoos very much frowned on them. It comes down to what the firm thinks their clients will feel about a consultant with a tattoo. As a consultant you'll generally be working with more senior people in the organization (read: older) who may not think that tattoos are professional. Clients can be very fussy about the appearance of their consultants. I even worked with a client who made us send home women on our team if they wore open toed shoes.

It also depends on how big it is, if it's small, say less than an inch, it probably wouldn't be as big a deal as if it's bigger and harder to miss.

I would tend to agree. Even if your own company doesn't care, you will be subject to whatever rules your client has. Many times for us, when we were in the client's office, it wasn't a big deal, but when we visited the hospital, tattoos definitely needed to be covered up.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
unplugged wrote:

Do you know anything about Revolution?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
If you are going to get a large involved piece you are going to want a good artist and chances are you will have to wait to get an appointment. I would say Deluxe, Family Tattoo, or the soon to be opened Pioneer (two guys from deluxe new shop) would be the go to artists in the city. It depends on the style you want as to which shop/artist would be right for you.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2