GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Technological advancements affect all aspects of human

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-20-2014
GMAT ToolKit User
Technological advancements affect all aspects of human  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Mar 2014, 20:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (01:19) correct 79% (01:18) wrong based on 778 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Technological advancements affect all aspects of human development but their repercussions affect the flora, fauna, and geology of the planet as well.

A) Technological advancements affect all aspects of human development but their repercussions affect the flora, fauna

B) Technological advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that reach into the flora, fauna

C) Technology advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that reach into the fauna, flora

D) Technological advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that can reach into the fauna, flora

E) Technology advancements affect all aspects of human development but have repercussions that reach into the flora, fauna

Originally posted by idinuv on 08 Mar 2014, 03:55.
Last edited by idinuv on 08 Mar 2014, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Re: Technological advancements affect all aspects of human  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 04:25
Quote:
Technological advancements affect all aspects of human development but their repercussions affect the flora, fauna, and geology of the planet as well.

A) Technological advancements affect all aspects of human development but their repercussions affect the flora, fauna

B) Technological advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that reach into the flora, fauna

C) Technology advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that reach into the fauna, flora

D) Technological advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that can reach into the fauna, flora

E) Technology advancements affect all aspects of human development but have repercussions that reach into the flora, fauna

Let's start with the initial split by asking should it be "Technology advancements" or "Technological advancements".
"Technology advancements" is incorrect because "Technology" is a noun and we need an adjective for "advancements".
This eliminates options C and E. Now we won't go back to these.

Moving on, in option A, whose repercussions are we taking about?
Is it the repercussions of "Technological advancements" or of "all aspects of human development" that we are talking about?
Even though it sounds like Technological advancements have repercussions, use of "their" makes it ambiguous.
For the lack of clarity in meaning, I will eliminate A.

Moving on to B, it has a suitable parallel structure and clear cut meaning.
[ Don't get confused. I will give you an example: I am a Tutor and have a score of 750 on GMAT. (Is this parallel? Definitely yes) ]

Now, if you look at option D, the only difference from option B is the use of word "can" which entirely changes the meaning of the sentence.
[ "I have a Mercedes" or "I can have a Mercedes" are two entirely different sentences, aren't they? ]

This leaves us with option B as the correct option choice.

Any further doubts?

Academic Team,
Pythagurus Education
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2014, 10:32
No idea whether it should be 'technology advancements' or 'technological advancements' and how to make out what is the right pick?

Experts, please help?
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2014, 12:44
idinuv wrote:

A) Technological advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that reach into the flora, fauna

B) Technology advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that reach into the fauna, flora

C) Technological advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that also reach into the fauna, flora

Between A and D the only difference is the word 'can'. Experts please suggest how this usage renders option D as a wrong option.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2014, 22:40
Picked B because it sounds better.
Though I am confused why A isnt right?Help....
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2014, 00:49
Very subtle differences between options.Still cant understand why A is wrong!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2014, 02:37
The word Repercussions means consequences. So it does not make sense to say consequences affect flora, fauna. Thus A I think is wrong.

C & E are incorrect because of usage of technology advancements.

I was confused between B & D and chose D. But D is changing the intended meaning of the sentence.

The non-underlined part of original statement uses "as well"

....and geology of the planet as well.

So the sentence is trying to convey the idea that what ever affects A has repercussions that reach into B as well.

So "can reach into" is incorrect.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2014, 04:16
Technology is a noun and Technological is its adjective form, and we require adjective to modify advancement. (C and E out).
I am not sure if we can rule out A for the ambiguous pronoun(their - aspects vs advancements), but I kind of like A. 'their' could refer to the subject of Technological Advancement'

in B and D, 'are affecting' but 'have repercussion' - do not sound parallel, as you would expect two clauses joined by a conjunction.
Experts please advise.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 03:41

A) Technological advancements affect all aspects of human development but their repercussions affect the flora, fauna >> pronoun ambiguity, aspects or advancements?

C) Technology advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that reach into the fauna, flora >> Technology is not an adj.

D) Technological advancements are affecting all aspects of human development but have repercussions that can reach into the fauna, flora >> can change the meaning "introduce capability"

E) Technology advancements affect all aspects of human development but have repercussions that reach into the flora, fauna >> same as in choice C.

Please kindly click on "+1 Kudos", if you think my post is useful

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 09:10
Problems with this question

1. Humans are part of the fauna of a given area. Humans are mammalian animals such as rats, cattle, lions, tigers or bats and the like. I see no logic in separating the fauna from humans.

2. While advancements affect (help) all aspects of human development, in the planet, the advancements’ repercussions affect (disturb) the other dependants in the same planet. That is perhaps the contrast intended by the fanboy ‘but’. The problem is the use of the same word ‘affect’ with different meanings in different contexts. This is a logical aberration.

3. What is the difference between the ‘affect’ in the original and ‘reach into’ or ‘can reach into’ most of the answer choices? There must be a valid reason for changing the original version.

4. The passage focuses on the difference between technological developments and technology developments, both which mean the same thing after some point. No GMAT question will hinge on such a flimsy point.

I have a doubt. Is this question from Economist GMAT or has the source been mistakenly represented?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 09:07
idinuv wrote:

I have read the posts and they focus mostly in two differences: the correct choice between "technology or technological" and the ambiguity of the pronoun "their".

I agree that the pronoun "their" is ambiguous, but I would not eliminate it right away.

I also believe that the correct choice for the word is the adjective "technological"; however, I believe that nouns can also be used as adjectives, as in "chicken soup" or "home improvement", so I would not eliminate this choice right away either.

Getting these two factors together it is easy to see that B is the best choice.

Nevertheless, I disagree with choice B. No one has mentioned anything about the verb tense. The original uses the present simple "affect", while B uses the present progressive "are affecting". As I see it, this change affects the meaning of the sentence: while the present simple means "always", the present progressive means "these days". This change in meaning makes B, C, and D incorrect.

A uses the ambiguous "their", and E uses the word "technology" instead of "technological.

If I had to choose one, I would choose E, because it is the only choice that reflects the correct meaning without ambiguity.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 00:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Technological advancements affect all aspects of human &nbs [#permalink] 29 Nov 2018, 00:52

Technological advancements affect all aspects of human

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap