It is currently 28 Jun 2017, 00:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 545
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2009, 22:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have made converting solar energy directly into electricity far more cost-efficient in the last decade. However, the threshold of economic viability for solar power (that is, the price per barrel to which oil would have to rise in order for new solar power plants to be more economical than new oil-fired power plants) is unchanged at thirty-five dollars.

Which of the following, if true, does most to help explain why the increased cost-efficiency of solar power has not decreased its threshold of economic viability?

(A) The cost of oil has fallen dramatically.
(B) The reduction in the cost of solar-power equipment has occurred despite increased raw material costs for that equipment.
(C) Technological changes have increased the efficiency of oil-fired power plants.
(D) Most electricity is generated by coal-fired or nuclear, rather than oil-tired, power plants.
(E) When the price of oil increases, reserves of oil not previously worth exploiting become economically viable.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Posts: 103
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2009, 23:07
reply2spg wrote:
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have made converting solar energy directly into electricity far more cost-efficient in the last decade. However, the threshold of economic viability for solar power (that is, the price per barrel to which oil would have to rise in order for new solar power plants to be more economical than new oil-fired power plants) is unchanged at thirty-five dollars.

Which of the following, if true, does most to help explain why the increased cost-efficiency of solar power has not decreased its threshold of economic viability?

(A) The cost of oil has fallen dramatically.
(B) The reduction in the cost of solar-power equipment has occurred despite increased raw material costs for that equipment.
Out of scope.
(C) Technological changes have increased the efficiency of oil-fired power plants.
Hold it.
(D) Most electricity is generated by coal-fired or nuclear, rather than oil-tired, power plants.
Doesn't make any difference to the argument here.

(E) When the price of oil increases, reserves of oil not previously worth exploiting become economically viable.
Yes, but but doen't really explain why the price of oil might differ for this reason.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 297
Location: Hungary
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 04:05
I went for C.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1260
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 04:48
my choice is C though I dnt find any reason to reject A. Can sum 1 throw light on this?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 727
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 06:31
ritula wrote:
my choice is C though I dnt find any reason to reject A. Can sum 1 throw light on this?


IMO, A is wrong because 'the threshold of economic viability for solar power is unchanged at thirty-five dollars.'
if threshold is unchanged, something other than drop in price of oil should have happened.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 428
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 09:10
I'll still go with A

Cheers,
Unplugged
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1260
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 09:57
yes that is a valid point
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
ritula wrote:
my choice is C though I dnt find any reason to reject A. Can sum 1 throw light on this?


IMO, A is wrong because 'the threshold of economic viability for solar power is unchanged at thirty-five dollars.'
if threshold is unchanged, something other than drop in price of oil should have happened.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 238
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 10:26
ritula wrote:
my choice is C though I dnt find any reason to reject A. Can sum 1 throw light on this?



The threshold of economic viability is 35 dollars; this is true regardless of whether oil prices rise or fall. The oil prices have to rise above 35 dollars for solar to become economically viable regardless of the improvement in efficiency of solar as a technology.

I eliminated all the other choices and went for C.

A is not valid since the price of oil is one thing but it does not impact the threshold mentioned in the question statement.
_________________

-----------------------
tusharvk

Re: CR: Technological improvements   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2009, 10:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have TomB 12 17 Nov 2011, 01:19
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have spriya 4 11 Aug 2008, 00:59
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have goalsnr 16 31 May 2008, 09:06
3 Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have lexis 15 05 Jan 2011, 05:53
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have JCLEONES 2 06 Mar 2008, 13:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.