GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     November 18, 2018

     November 18, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 858
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2014, 09:49
3
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:49) correct 44% (02:11) wrong based on 725 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website Cyberepicuria have recently made a breakthrough, solving a hard programming problem. They finally have perfected a special program in which users can enter any foods or any flavors they like, and the website will suggest different foods and food combinations with somewhat different flavors that the users will also like. The website will charge users a modest fee for access. Users of the beta version ecstatically have reported that, because of the program's suggestions, they have discovered whole new categories of food that they absolutely love. No other website offers anything like this. Because Cyberepicuria is the only website offering this service, anyone who invests in Cyberepicuria right now is likely to double or triple their money in a very short time.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the analyst's argument above?

A) Last year, the Cooking Channel aired a few episodes of "Like This? Try That!", a show in which chefs recommended foods similar in taste to known popular foods, resulting in such popularity that the show will be released as a weekly national serial later this month

B) According to surveys, as many as 60% of Americans report being tired of eating the same foods over and over again.

C) The flavor or taste of any food depends on number of complex chemical properties, making it an extremely difficult quality to model with a computer program.

D) The human experience of a taste of any food has more to do, than most people realize, with the subtle scents received by the olfactory system as well as with the texture and tenderness of the food.

E) When a dish has a number of ingredients, adding or subtracting or substituting just one spice or flavor involved, however small the quantity involved, can radically change the overall taste of the dish.

_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 713
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2014, 22:36
this question has a good long premise
A seems justified
reasoning
conclusion of the argument is: anyone who invests in Cyberepicuria right now is likely to double or triple their money in a very short time.

one of the premises: Because Cyberepicuria is the only website offering this service

if A is true then there is every reason to believe that people investing in "Cyberepicuria" might suffer losses as people might get attracted to the the "new program" that is starting in a month
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2014, 07:50
This OA is strengthening the argument instead of weaken it... Isn't it??
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 858
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 10:56
singhz wrote:
This OA is strengthening the argument instead of weaken it... Isn't it??


No OA actually weakens it in fact directly

Premise :
Users of the beta version ecstatically have reported that, because of the program's suggestions, they have discovered whole new categories of food that they absolutely love. No other website offers anything like this. Because Cyberepicuria is the only website offering this service, anyone who invests in Cyberepicuria right now is likely to double or triple their money in a very short time.

Hence A)
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2014
Posts: 6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2014, 00:13
how A can be the answer ofr this one..
It is strengthening it instead of weakening
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 11 Mar 2014
Posts: 148
Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2014, 01:38
lakshey1993 wrote:
how A can be the answer ofr this one..
It is strengthening it instead of weakening


HI Lakshey

Answer choice (A) has already been explained above. I guess it would be helpful if you share your thought process for the question.

Regards,
Dolly Sharma:)
_________________

Our GMAT Program- Creating 750+ Scores
Our MBA Consulting- Top Schools and significant Scholarships
PythaGURUS Education
http://www.pythagurus.in

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 245
Location: India
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Reviews Badge
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 04:43
Ok the fight for me was between Option A and C.
The only reason i rejected A was because the premise states that Cyber.. is the ONLY WEBSITE offering this service, while option A is a PROGRAM offering this service so that, even though is a weakener, seemed not the best choice compared to Option C that basically implies that the Computer program cannot be as well suited to tastes and......basically critiquing the computer service and so direct weakener.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 59
Location: United States
Concentration: Other, Finance
Schools: SDSU '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 2.76
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 14:54
kinjiGC wrote:
singhz wrote:
This OA is strengthening the argument instead of weaken it... Isn't it??


No OA actually weakens it in fact directly

Premise :
Users of the beta version ecstatically have reported that, because of the program's suggestions, they have discovered whole new categories of food that they absolutely love. No other website offers anything like this. Because Cyberepicuria is the only website offering this service, anyone who invests in Cyberepicuria right now is likely to double or triple their money in a very short time.

Hence A)


I'm still not convinced ! i still feel that those are different concepts: one is an interactive website (people can put their own input and have personalized results) and the other is a TV show for the general public !
am i missing smth ?
thx
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 858
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 03:50
clipea12 wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
singhz wrote:
This OA is strengthening the argument instead of weaken it... Isn't it??


No OA actually weakens it in fact directly

Premise :
Users of the beta version ecstatically have reported that, because of the program's suggestions, they have discovered whole new categories of food that they absolutely love. No other website offers anything like this. Because Cyberepicuria is the only website offering this service, anyone who invests in Cyberepicuria right now is likely to double or triple their money in a very short time.

Hence A)


I'm still not convinced ! i still feel that those are different concepts: one is an interactive website (people can put their own input and have personalized results) and the other is a TV show for the general public !
am i missing smth ?
thx


You are getting into two much detail.

Suppose I have two ways to go from point A to point B. If I have two ways to travel from point A to point B, obviously the traffic will get divided. Now you doubt is about preferences. Always fix the scope. The tougher GMAT problems will play with the scope and conclusion.

I hope it helps.
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2014
Posts: 138
Premium Member
Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2015, 21:13
3
Argument Deconstructed
- Background Info: the situation about this website and how it works.
- Premise 1: Users have loved the beta version
- Premise 2: Cyberepicuria is the only website offering this
- Conclusion: Anyone who invests in Cyberepicuria right now is likely to 2x or 3x his/her money.


Answer Choice Analysis
A- CORRECT. This implies that Cyberepicuria will start having a competitor. This directly weakens the linkage between Premise 2 & Conclusion.
B- This kind of strengthens the argument, more specifically the linkage between Premise 1 & Conclusion
C- Well... The passage states that the programmers solved this "difficult" problem. So, yes, the task was hard but it was solved.
D- Who cares? Completely irrelevant. It doesn´t attack any Premise-Conclusion linkage.
E- Who cares? Completely irrelevant. It doesn´t attack any Premise-Conclusion linkage.
_________________

Consider giving me Kudos if I helped, but don´t take them away if I didn´t! :)

What would you do if you weren´t afraid?

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 71
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 05:19
I marked D and clearly even i thought A is actually working as a kind of an analogy here . SO i went with D and with full confidence ;
:evil: still if A is the answer it coming out in a very indirect manner after a lot of thinking ;
_________________

KUDOS pls if you like My Post

SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1367
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 17:43

Official Explanation


The technology analyst's glowing prediction about the success of this website hinges on a Supply & Demand argument: what they offer is unique (i.e. in short supply) and the demand is high. Large demand and small supply means big profits folks on the supply side. The Law of Supply & Demand is quite solid, so we want to weaken this argument, we really have to call into question whether the supply is really so small.

(A) is the credited response because it does exactly that. If nationally syndicated TV show provides much the same service, then what the Cyberepicuria website offers is no longer unique. Supply increases, so price drops. This weakens the argument.

(B) reaffirms the high demand, so this would strengthen the argument.

(C) & (D) & (E) all deal with how difficult the problem would be to solve, but we are told: Cyberepicuria already had a programming breakthrough. If they already can model flavors with their program, they have already taken all three of these into account.

FAQ: Why is A correct, if it's talking about a TV show, not a website?

A: Here is a general summary of the analyst's argument: "investors are likely to triple their money because Cyberepicuria is the only website offering this service." This means that Cyberepicuria is offering a one-of-a-kind service that can't be found elsewhere. The competitive advantage here is that no other company has a similar product-- not that it is a personalized taste experience for each individual.

Imagine if there were a lot of services offering the same thing. Then Cyberepicuria's new program wouldn't be anything special, and therefore wouldn't be very valuable (you could go anywhere else and find the same thing). It's precisely because their product is so unique that they can make a profit from it. This follows the law of supply and demand: people who sell things that are rare, unique, or difficult to find can set a high price for their goods.

What would weaken the argument in this passage is if we could prove that Cyberepicuria's program is in fact not one-of-a-kind. If we could show that someone else is offering a similar product, we effectively strip Cyberepicuria of its uniqueness, so its price would drop.

That's why Choice A works so well: it says that there exists a national TV show that provides virtually the same service to millions of viewers. Even though Choice A is talking about a TV show, the comparison is between the service that is offered to customers. Users of Cyberepicuria and viewers of the TV show are getting the same experience, so that's why they are comparable.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 235
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 07:43
aragonn wrote:

Official Explanation


The technology analyst's glowing prediction about the success of this website hinges on a Supply & Demand argument: what they offer is unique (i.e. in short supply) and the demand is high. Large demand and small supply means big profits folks on the supply side. The Law of Supply & Demand is quite solid, so we want to weaken this argument, we really have to call into question whether the supply is really so small.

(A) is the credited response because it does exactly that. If nationally syndicated TV show provides much the same service, then what the Cyberepicuria website offers is no longer unique. Supply increases, so price drops. This weakens the argument.

(B) reaffirms the high demand, so this would strengthen the argument.

(C) & (D) & (E) all deal with how difficult the problem would be to solve, but we are told: Cyberepicuria already had a programming breakthrough. If they already can model flavors with their program, they have already taken all three of these into account.

FAQ: Why is A correct, if it's talking about a TV show, not a website?


A: Here is a general summary of the analyst's argument: "investors are likely to triple their money because Cyberepicuria is the only website offering this service." This means that Cyberepicuria is offering a one-of-a-kind service that can't be found elsewhere. The competitive advantage here is that no other company has a similar product-- not that it is a personalized taste experience for each individual.

Imagine if there were a lot of services offering the same thing. Then Cyberepicuria's new program wouldn't be anything special, and therefore wouldn't be very valuable (you could go anywhere else and find the same thing). It's precisely because their product is so unique that they can make a profit from it. This follows the law of supply and demand: people who sell things that are rare, unique, or difficult to find can set a high price for their goods.

What would weaken the argument in this passage is if we could prove that Cyberepicuria's program is in fact not one-of-a-kind. If we could show that someone else is offering a similar product, we effectively strip Cyberepicuria of its uniqueness, so its price would drop.

That's why Choice A works so well: it says that there exists a national TV show that provides virtually the same service to millions of viewers. Even though Choice A is talking about a TV show, the comparison is between the service that is offered to customers. Users of Cyberepicuria and viewers of the TV show are getting the same experience, so that's why they are comparable.


aragonn , gmatexam439 , MagooshExpert , GMATNinja

I disagree with the OA. The premise very clearly states that people can enter their preferences of flavour or food and input and get various food combinations as output to explore. This approach is very specific and can be customised on a person to person basis. TV show on the other hand will show something which will be very general. The option of customization on a person to person basis won't be available. So how can a TV show be detrimental to Cyberepicuria's interests??
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1367
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 16:19
1
Prateek176

So in most critical reasoning questions, we have to attack on reasoning. let see what is the reasoning here. In whole question stem only last few lines define the real reasoning.--- "No other website offers anything like this. Because Cyberepicuria is the only website offering this service, anyone who invests in Cyberepicuria right now is likely to double or triple their money in a very short time." So basically Cyberepicuria is going to boom cause no one else shows anything like this. This is a weaken question. if we find something that is even remotly close to this it will weaken the conclusion and bingo. A does that.

Now lets come to your query. First of all my friend you are making too many assumptions here. 2nd in weaken questions if you can affect the answer even a bit then it could be an answer. yes for sure you are right by saying that statement is general, but can you notice there is a pattern. you see chef is saying if you like X you will like Y and Z too. this is just a mapping between foods. For sure it is the same concept as the website has. So no it is not general. just food mapping is used in both cases.

Now let look at the market and "likely to double or triple their money in a very short time" --- Author is predicting that this website will boom cause "The website will charge users a modest fee for access." while option A says that one can get same thing free of cost on TV every week. I think this is going to hurt website for sure.

we are able to weaken it. we dont need to break the conclusion. just weaken it. Hope it was helpful.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 May 2018
Posts: 15
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 21:54
1
Here are my thoughts on this ..

Program suggest something --> then people try it --> People love it.

Program is UNIQUE.
Investing in this --> $$$

Option A is correct.
If there is a TV show that also suggests food. Now, program is not unique anymore.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Other
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Transportation)
CAT Tests
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 19:54
Assumption : people will earn profit by investing in a technology that offers an unique experience.

Weakner: what if there are some other services offering similar kind of experience (online or someway else)

A: correct as it provides info regarding a similar program that may provide similar experience though not in the same way but performs same function i.e to introduce people to new variety of food.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website &nbs [#permalink] 02 Nov 2018, 19:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Technology Analyst: The programmers at the website

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.