Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1135 [24]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The people most likely to watch a televised debate between political [#permalink]
Kudos
I discarded B because it talks of people not watching the debate. The passage is more about the people watching the debate. New Information is added that provides the current analysis wrong. Good Question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: The people most likely to watch a televised debate between political [#permalink]
Kudos
First in you mind be clear what you have to negate.

Statement - Hence, winning a televised debate does little to bolster one's chances of winning an election
We have to prove that winning a debate will help the candidate to get some more votes

A) watching the debate make people to vote - very close. hold it
B) the voting behaviour of people who do not watch debate, depends on the reports of debate. - Agian close
C) there are differences of what consititutes winning or losing the debate - it hardly matters to me. I want to know if winning will help the candidate.
D)people's voting behaviour may be influenced in unpredictable ways by comments made by the participants in a televised debate - Okay...I have already read commited people will vote to thier candidates they have decided and uncommited once are undecided about who won. This sentence is confusing let me read my STATEMENT again. Oops I'm concerned about how winning a debate can help a candidate. Morever, the word may be in sentence makes it all the more irrelevant
E) People who a commited will vote the candidate they decided even if he loses. - This was given in question itself. so no use for me. Anyways I'm concerned about winning.

Lets get back to A) and B)
A) If this were true, more people would vote and may vote to the candidate who won the debate. Wait...they haven't written who the new voters will vote. Maybe this will help me negate this one. Lets go to B)

B) Okay it talks about voting behaviour and reports based on the debate.

E.g. If I'm Barack Obama...candidate for President. If I win the debate on television. Someone reads the report in morning and will have a change in his voting behaviour.

According to me B) is way stronger than A)

@holidevil Although it talks about "people who do not watch debate" it is not alien.

An alien (out of scope) is like
F) The candidate may speak about somehing controversial during the debate

Think about this are we concerned about what a candidate says in a debate? Nope we care about winning.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
The people most likely to watch a televised debate between political [#permalink]
The people most likely to watch a televised debate between political candidates are the most committed members of the electorate and thus the most likely to have already made up their minds about whom to support. Furthermore, following a debate, uncommitted viewers are generally undecided about who won the debate. Hence, winning a televised debate does little to bolster ones chances of winning an election.

So conclusion says that winning a televised debate does little to bolster ones chances of winning an election. Why? Because following a debate, uncommitted viewers are generally undecided about who won the debate

The reasoning in the argument is most vulnerable to criticism because the argument fails to consider the possibility that

(A) watching an exciting debate makes people more likely to vote in an election ( exciting, happy, sleepy, hungry, etc not concerned :) )

(B) the voting behavior of people who do not watch a televised debate is influenced by reports about the debate ( true if commentators influence voting behavior of commentators, so if someone wins commentator will scream :lol: CORRECT.

(C) there are differences of opinion about what constitutes winning or losing a debate ( not comcened with different opinions)

(D) peoples voting behavior may be influenced in unpredictable ways by comments made by the participants in a televised debate ( unpredictable comments could have unpreducatble results :lol: so out of scope)

(E) people who are committed to a particular candidate will vote even if their candidate is perceived as having lost a televised debate ( this is is neutral option. so out of scope)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
(A) watching an exciting debate makes people more likely to vote in an election
That may be the case we have no idea however whether it will be positively or negatively influence the same

(B) the voting behavior of people who do not watch a televised debate is influenced by reports about the debate
This can result in a favoured outcome for the viewer who's watching the debate let us hang on to it

(C) there are differences of opinion about what constitutes winning or losing a debate
This cannot influence since people who have already taken a decision is watching the debate

(D) peoples voting behavior may be influenced in unpredictable ways by comments made by the participants in a televised debate
Similar reasoning as C

(E) people who are committed to a particular candidate will vote even if their candidate is perceived as having lost a televised debate
restating the premiseof the argument
Hence IMO B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
A typical GMAT-style question. "Help/Kill a plan"

Option B shows that the televised debate still helps the plan, which is to increase the chances of winning an election.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
The people most likely to watch a televised debate between political [#permalink]
Although option B is the correct answer, but not the obvious answer :

(B) the voting behavior of people who do not watch a televised debate is influenced by reports about the debate.

1. The voting behavior of people is influenced by reports about the debate - Not influenced by the RESULT (win or loss) of debate

2. The voting behavior of people is influenced - Influence is not directly translated into Vote for Winner. May be sympathetic attitude of people at large influences in different ways - Vote for Loser
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Crytiocanalyst wrote:
(A) watching an exciting debate makes people more likely to vote in an election
That may be the case we have no idea however whether it will be positively or negatively influence the same

(B) the voting behavior of people who do not watch a televised debate is influenced by reports about the debate
This can result in a favoured outcome for the viewer who's watching the debate let us hang on to it

(C) there are differences of opinion about what constitutes winning or losing a debate
This cannot influence since people who have already taken a decision is watching the debate

(D) peoples voting behavior may be influenced in unpredictable ways by comments made by the participants in a televised debate
Similar reasoning as C

(E) people who are committed to a particular candidate will vote even if their candidate is perceived as having lost a televised debate
restating the premiseof the argument
Hence IMO B

But if the reasoning to not choose A is that we can't say whether or not more votes mean favoring the winner of debate or not how can be assume that the reports of the debate "POSITIVELY' influence the decisions and hence is the right answer?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts