Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Value Considerations

Total Projected Outlay at List Price:
In-State: c 65k
Out of State: c 99k

https://mba.mccombs.utexas.edu/admission ... /index.asp

FT05 Value for Money #79
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Hi!

The school has dipped in the ranking and is even ranked #35 on the REGIONAL list on the WSJournal. Then again they ranked HBS and Stanford #14 and 15 respectively.

I live in Austin, and am seriously considering the EMBA program in Marketing, since I get to keep my job while going to school. Any thoughts?

I have a 740 GMAT and 3.5 years of excellent experience at a fortune 500. What I am worried about is my 3.0 undergrad GPA, I have a BS. in Computer Engineering.

Thanks in advance!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Texas-McCombs does seem to jump around in the rankings from year to year. However, if you take a long view of the rankings, it clearly belongs in this cluster. In addition, it seems to be more sensitive to the regional economy than schools with a firm international reputation.

I suppose people have spent time and effort compiling the WSJ rankings so I see little need to mock them, but that ranking system is so flawed that sometimes I wonder if it is supposed to be some sort of satire of the other business periodicals for their ranking systems. Even if Texas is regarded as a regional school, it more or less dominates the region. There are only two or three schools that come close- SMU, Rice, and Tulane.

Texas-McCombs is a logical choice for marketing and there are few others schools with a similar reputation to choose from in the region.

RE the GPA, my main concern would be in what courses you received lower grades.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Appreciate the response, Hjort.

I see McCombs as a trade-off in my case, in that I would not lose my income and a fairly comfortable life here in Austin, but I certainly don't want to settle when it comes to the quality of the education I will receive. I believe I can offer a compelling package to any business school I choose to apply to, and I am confident I will not leave an interview empty handed if it came to that.

So I am struggling with the choice of staying with UT in Austin, or leaving to try my chances elsewhere. Unforunately, McComb's slide in the rankings is not helping, and I'd appreciate your insight on this.

As to the GPA, is it fair to compare a 3.0 Engineer from a top 15 engineering school, to a 3.5 or higher Business or Econ major, with all due respect to these majors? Do the schools give any weight to the major when evaluating the GPA? My heart was not in engineering during school, and I slacked off Junior year and it cost me. I'm not sure if I made up for this with my GMAT score.

Thanks again.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
So we are really talking about a trade off between present income and future earnings. Should you pay more and earn less in the short run for greater potential at a school in a higher cluster? To me this has little to do with the the variability of the rank of Texas and much more to do with which schools will offer greater opportunity regardless of rank. Accordingly, I would strongly consider schools in the ultra elite and elite clusters.

1) The University of Texas/McCombs is a fine school that happens to located near you. However, you should pick your portfolio on the basis of return not convenience. Ask yourself this: If it were located in Maine or Seattle would you make the journey to McCombs? If you (subjectively) view it as not the type of school you would move to attend why would you commit several years of your life to attending that school?

2) Are you comfortable with the prospect of looking back years later and wondering if you could/should have gone elsewhere?

3) Do you plan to return to the state of Texas?

4) If you go elsewhere would you participate in a full time program?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
These are some excellent questions Hjort. I agree I have to try, at the very least.

I've spoken to MBAs in training at UT, and I have no doubt I can succeed in that program, but I feel I would waste an opportunity if I didn't try for at least one of the top 5.

I expected applications not to be easy, but I'm surprised at the work some schools expect of each applicant! Some are worse than others, I found HSB's almost oppressive. :-D

I think, and hope, Columbia. And not only because it's in NYC. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Are the career prospects at UT as great as they seem? I really like the PLUS program and their L.L.C. Fund. These make the school really appealing and I think would be a great experience of "real world" practicality. Also, do you think that a good GMAT and GPA (700-730, 3.56) would be able to get me in even without "great" work experience?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: Texas-Austin (McCombs) [#permalink]
Hello,
I am applying in Round 1 for Full-Time MBA at McCombs School of Business. I have a few questions, which are listed below-

1.My undergrad did not have a GPA score. Should I submit the division or the percentage obtained over 100?
2.I have a B2 visa. Do I need to apply for F1/J1?
3.I completed my undergrad in English from University of Delhi, India. Do I need to submit a TOEFL score? If yes, What is the minimum required total score, and minimum required for each section?
4.As I might take my GMAT again in November'12, can I send my updated score before the Decision Notification deadline in December?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q58 V58
GRE 1: Q161 V156
Send PM
The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business is a highly-ranked business school located in Austin, Texas. It offers a variety of undergraduate, graduate, and executive education programs in business.

McCombs is consistently ranked among the top business schools in the United States by various publications and organizations, including U.S. News & World Report, Bloomberg Businessweek, and the Financial Times.

The undergraduate program at McCombs offers majors in Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Management, and Business Honors. The graduate program includes a full-time MBA, an Executive MBA, a Master of Science in Business Analytics, a Master of Science in Finance, and a Master in Professional Accounting.

McCombs has a strong focus on entrepreneurship and innovation, with numerous centers and programs dedicated to supporting startups and entrepreneurship. The school also has a strong network of alumni, including many successful business leaders and entrepreneurs.

Overall, McCombs offers a top-notch business education with a strong reputation and impressive resources for students interested in entrepreneurship and innovation.
GMAT Club Bot