Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [12]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 2 yrs - Oilfield Service
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: [770 Q51 V44] Thank you GMATClub! [#permalink]
Excellent, excellent debrief. Kudos to your candid debrief.

Quote:
Be open to suggestions, and listen carefully when wisdom speaks, but that doesn't mean you transform yourself into a human dustbin for everyone's "pearls".

:)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow - 770!!!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
great job on the test score and the debrief - congrats and good luck with your apps
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
That is massive score and honest debrief.

Good luck and Keep us updated with your application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [1]
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you all so much! I will definitely keep you guys posted on my application process.

Quote:
i'm also within that range you're getting (slightly lower though) for all your practice exams. i just feel a bit nervous about test day that i'll fall in the shorter end of that range. so my best bet is to strive for > 770s consistently in the remaining CATS i have (haven't done any of the GMATPrep CATs yet; saving the "best" for last!).

Don't bother worrying about test-day - just focus on absorbing as much content as possible. Though I didn't do so myself, in retrospect I would recommend doing the GMATPrep twice - it really is very close to the actual test. I scored 770 and 780 on those, and they were an accurate predictor evidently. The questions are also representative of the difficulty you will probably encounter.

Good luck and do let me know how your test goes! I'm sure you'll achieve your target if you remain calm and confident on test-day: don't let anything distract you :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
thanks so much for your positive encouragements! i will definitely post back and write a nice descriptive debrief (if i do well, ill write a longer one!) and thank the forum for all the resources and motiviation.

until then... study away!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
Congratulations on your score and thank you for sharing your experience with us. Could you please answer the following questions:

1) Could you describe in greater detail your study routine?
2) How did you organize the balance between other activities and GMAT preparation?
3) How tough do you personally consider the GMAT is? It seems that it was like a walk in the park for you.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Status:it won't happen in one day but it'll happen one day
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
congrats..........

Quote:
Time-frame : 2 months
Sources: Grockit, Knewton course, BTG resources, GMATClub resources, OG, MGMAT SC guide, and other miscellaneous stuff I found in various member posts.

how did you manage all this in 2 months?.plz describe in greater detail.....once again hearty congratulations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:ISB
Send PM
AbhayPrasanna wrote:
Just got back home after my GMAT and am happy to report I managed a 770 [Q 51 V 44]. I am satisfied with my score and believe it is an accurate representation of my ability.

FIRST THINGS FIRST - If there's one thing I've learned (and let me put this up in bold to make sure you see it...)

What works for X MAY NOT work for Y!

Another important thing, which is absolutely essential to my philosophy of the bigger picture...

Your GMAT score is irrelevant to who you really are, which is pure, innocent, intent-less Awareness.

(Obviously the second disclaimer is slightly out of scope here, but if you're interested we can talk about that too :) )

With the formalities out of the way, let's kick some GMAT butt.

Things you SHOULD do:

1. Study from RELIABLE sources.

There is no such thing as the ONLY reliable source for the GMAT. All the different materials available have their distinguishing virtues, so don't jump to the conclusion that you absolutely must worship the OG or that the MGMAT SC guide is indispensable. People are quick to attribute cause-effect relationships (similar to those CR passages in the GMAT) once they are done with the GMAT.

In retrospect, it is easy to say that I did well because of a particular book, but this is not true. I believe a good, wholesome preparation strategy involves a lot of different kinds of material that contribute to a holistic and varied armory of question-approaches.

I, for example, did only about 150 questions from the OG and used the MGMAT SC guide only for certain concepts I was weak at.

In short, build your approach arsenal using a variety of quality sources.

2. Practice. A lot.

Obvious thing is obvious - but there's no substitute for good old fashioned practice. Here's how my preparation went:

Time-frame : 2 months (took a break from work since I needed to move to a new city as well)
Sources: Grockit, Knewton course, BTG resources, GMATClub resources, OG, MGMAT SC guide, and other miscellaneous stuff I found in various member posts.

Strategy:

Month 1 - Practiced about 1500 questions in Grockit. The timed environment from the get-go really honed my speed. Interaction with other GMAT-takers was an added boon. Some of the discussions really helped improve my approaches. You need more than one approach for every problem so that you will never be completely stumped at a question. Did OG Diagnostic + GMATPrep1, and all the free CATs available.

Month 2 - Focused on content that I was weak in conceptually. Completed the Knewton course - this is an excellent online course that is perfectly structured and it helps you ensure you haven't missed a question-type or are unaware of a concept. Did Knewton CATS 2-5 and MGMAT CATS 2-6. As you can see I attempted quite a few mock exams, and I stand by the fact that getting used to the time-constraints and improving your stamina is vital.

- Other than this I did about half of Kaplan 800 - you can do the whole book in 2 days if you care to. Good exposure to some tough questions.
- Got through the free MGMAT tutorials available online. They will give you some excellent takeaways. I also went through their free flashcards - really useful.
- Watched the "Thursday's with Ron" BTG Archive. Ron Purewal is this brilliant man whose explanations I've found extremely useful. They really created a paradigm shift in the way I approached questions.
- I also used https://www.platinumgmat.com/ ... some excellent questions available for free in the tough section, and they have a brief overview of several math and verbal concepts that you can get through quickly as a revision.
- Brushed up on Grammar basics with some free online resources.

Something that I did a lot of was answer questions on the forum. Members usually post questions they found challenging, so you are bound to come across stuff you yourself can't get your head around. When you set out to explain an answer to someone, you find your own reasoning getting polished. This was especially helpful in Critical Reasoning questions.

I really recommend talking to other GMAT-aspirants and sharing strengths and weaknesses. Speak to people who share a common goal with you.

NOTE: My Practice scores ranged from 730 to 780, averaging about 760.

Things you SHOULDN'T do:

1. Unauthentic or non-GMAT material

Do not waste your time with unreliable questions. If you are attempting a question, make sure you have an authentic explanation and a source for it. Do not do Olympiad or local entrance-exam questions - this heavily takes away from the simple, straight-forward thinking you will need to perform on the GMAT.

2. Buy too many books or spend too much time plan
ning

While I do advocate a varied strategy, don't buy every book in the store. Start with the stuff that has good reviews, and make use of the great free resources available on websites like this one.

It is important to have a study plan, but don't waste your time asking every person you encounter for advice. Be open to suggestions, and listen carefully when wisdom speaks, but that doesn't mean you transform yourself into a human dustbin for everyone's "pearls".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, read up on the exam, be informed of its nuances, develop a strategy and then get down to business. Practice as much as you can and make sure you understand every question you ever attempt - you should try not to get the same question wrong twice. Maintain error logs if you can, or if you are as lazy as I am, at least make a mental map of concepts you need to work on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEST-DAY tips:

1. Do whatever it takes to avoid getting too nervous.
2. You don't need Red Bull, chocolates, Gatorade, Tylenol and all the other stuff people recommend. I had a nice lunch before my 4pm appointment, and spent my breaks stretching, relieving myself, splashing some water on my face and sipping some water. Don't do anything new.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do let me know if I can help any of you with your preparation. I will continue to be active on the forum and look forward to interacting with you guys!

Peace!

Hearties congratulations to you Abhay . Its wonderful score and debrief ...

All the best for applications. ..... :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the useful information!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
I have never before heard about Grockit, could you please provide more infor aboit their praactice questions.
Do they repeat GMAT patterns?

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Send PM
Congratulations on ur score Abhay.
Thanks for sharing ur experience and inspiring us.

Good Luck for ur applications!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
 Q51  V44
Send PM
nonameee wrote:
1) Could you describe in greater detail your study routine?
2) How did you organize the balance between other activities and GMAT preparation?
3) How tough do you personally consider the GMAT is? It seems that it was like a walk in the park for you.

1. I was on a break from work, so I hard 2 good months to prepare. This is something I would highly recommend doing if it is feasible - take atleast a short break to get acquainted with the GMAT, the resources, how the test works and a practice-approach. Since I was completely free, I was able to spread my studies out throughout the day, and take frequent (long) breaks. This helped me ease into the syllabus and take my time figuring out where I needed work. I slept well throughout, and made sure I was fresh, hydrated and well-fed whenever I studied (scientifically proven to help retain content) I practiced a lot of questions from various sources. The forums themselves have some excellent questions that members put up. You could scout through them. I did a total of about 18 CATs and I maintain that this is the best way to get used to the time management. I reached a point where I never had to bother looking at the clock. On test-day, and I **** you not, I managed the quant section in 45 mins (though I should have spent longer on some questions that I skipped through) and the verbal in 60 mins. Sounds ridiculous, even to me, but trust me, you have more that enough time, so work on content, speed and stamina. One without the other can lead to unpleasant surprises on test-day.

2. I think I'm the wrong person to answer this one, because I had the advantage of 2 months of sloth :) For those who are in college or working, I really recommend you start preparing WELL before D-day. 3-4 months and as many breaks from work that you can accomodate. Ensure that your test-day is at a time when you expect o be relatively free and unpressured.

3. The math was slightly easier than the Manhattan CATs and slightly tougher than GMATPrep. However it is very doable if you have your basics in control. Verbal was tricky. The CR and RC passages were short but more convoluted than what I had seen. You need to spend a bit more time focussing on prephrasing answers because some of the choices are really built to distract / trap. If you've got an answer in your mind, you are safe from being fooled. I thought my verbal went slightly better than it actually did, so I'm not sure where I lost marks. In short, if quant is your strength, spend time on those tough verbal questions in the OG and other sources.

Hope that helps!

intellijat wrote:
how did you manage all this in 2 months?.plz describe in greater detail.....once again hearty congratulations.

Haha thanks, and yeah since I was on a break from work I had enough time to use a lot of different resources, and thus build my own customized approach to the questions.

Pkit wrote:
I have never before heard about Grockit, could you please provide more infor aboit their praactice questions.
Do they repeat GMAT patterns?

Grockit is a social game in which you can join a gameroom with other members and tackle quant/verbal questions in a timed, open environment. The questions are definitely largely GMAT- owrthy though you may come up with some that are ridiculously easy and some taht are slightly out of scope. However it is a great way to get used the the format of the test, and go at a large number of questions at once - something that really helps build stamina and timemanagement. They constantly review their questions and are improving their website a lot, I would recommend it simply as a go-to bank of questions when you are bored of the books and just want a relaxed hour of Q&A. Cheers!

Sorry guys I am currently on holiday so have limited access to the internet. I will definitely try and answer all you questions as soon as possible.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
Congrats on your great score. Excellent debrief... All the best for your application :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
congrats :D
770 is awesome ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Congrats and good luck with the apps ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: SCM, Strategy, General Management
Schools:Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
 Q48  V26
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Send PM
Congrats for your awesome score.... thanks for your great debrief
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts