GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 22:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 09:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:08) correct 54% (01:16) wrong based on 480 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems that it is no more than a popular misconception: Economist Steven Levitt's analysis of the financial records of a Chicago gang showed that most street dealers actually earned less than minimum wage.

A) That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems that it is no more than a popular misconception
B) The fact that all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems no more than a popular misconception
C) It seems to be no more than a popular misconception that all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics
D) It seems that it is no more than a popular misconception that all drug dealers who sell narcotics make a fortune doing so
E) That all drug dealers make a fortune at selling narcotics seems no more than popularly misconceived
Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 10:27
i marked B in this SC and honestly i do not find anything wrong with B
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 12:30
aditya8062 wrote:
i marked B in this SC and honestly i do not find anything wrong with B

The problem with option B is the use of The fact and misconception at the same time. drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics cannot be a fact if it is a misconception. Facts are undisputed, so there is no chance of misconception.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 13:54
goodyear2013 wrote:
That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems that it is no more than a popular misconception: Economist Steven Levitt's analysis of the financial records of a Chicago gang showed that most street dealers actually earned less than minimum wage.

A) That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems that it is no more than a popular misconception
B) The fact that all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems no more than a popular misconception
C) It seems to be no more than a popular misconception that all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics
D) It seems that it is no more than a popular misconception that all drug dealers who sell narcotics make a fortune doing so
E) That all drug dealers make a fortune at selling narcotics seems no more than popularly misconceived

Dear aditya8062 & prasun9,
I am happy to respond to aditya8062's p.m.

I don't think this is the best question. Choices (A) & (D) & (E) are clearly out. There's no flaw in (C), so certainly that works as an answer. As to prasun9's explanation about why (B) is wrong: that's far more picayune that the GMAT SC gets. Yes, technically, a "fact" can't be a "misconception," but in practice, there are many many idea that large segments of the population would consider and treat as "facts" that actually are misconceptions. If know that X is not true, but person A is convinced that X is a fact, then in speaking to A, I might say, "The fact of A is a misconception." In other words, the thing you, Mr. A, think is a fact is actually a misconception. That would be a perfectly natural thing to say, so this is not a clear valid reason for dismissing (B), and other than that, there is no good reason to dismiss (B). This is a poorly written question.

That's my two cents.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 16:38
mikemcgarry wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:

Dear aditya8062 & prasun9,
I am happy to respond to aditya8062's p.m.

I don't think this is the best question. Choices (A) & (D) & (E) are clearly out. There's no flaw in (C), so certainly that works as an answer. As to prasun9's explanation about why (B) is wrong: that's far more picayune that the GMAT SC gets. Yes, technically, a "fact" can't be a "misconception," but in practice, there are many many idea that large segments of the population would consider and treat as "facts" that actually are misconceptions. If know that X is not true, but person A is convinced that X is a fact, then in speaking to A, I might say, "The fact of A is a misconception." In other words, the thing you, Mr. A, think is a fact is actually a misconception. That would be a perfectly natural thing to say, so this is not a clear valid reason for dismissing (B), and other than that, there is no good reason to dismiss (B). This is a poorly written question.

That's my two cents.

Thanks Mike for the explanation, but I still think A fact cannot be a misconception. Since I am no expert I got confused after reading your explanation.
But when I looked for the question online, I found that the question is from The Economist
https://gmat.economist.com/gmat-practice-question/9105f/sentence-correction-pronoun-questions-it
And to my delight the explanation at the link confirms my belief :)

P.S. Attached a screenshot of the OE.
Attachments

gmat_economist_question.jpg
gmat_economist_question.jpg [ 177.44 KiB | Viewed 2877 times ]

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Intern
Intern
Re: That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems that it i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 23:23
reto wrote:
B. The fact that all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems no more than a popular misconception
C. It seems to be no more than a popular misconception that all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics

I'm more inclined toward B than toward C. However, B refers to "fact"--I doubt whether a fact can be considered misconception.
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Re: That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems that it i [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2015, 03:13
reto wrote:

A. That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems that it is no more than a popular misconception
B. The fact that all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems no more than a popular misconception
C. It seems to be no more than a popular misconception that all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics
D. It seems that it is no more than a popular misconception that all drug dealers who sell narcotics make a fortune doing so
E. That all drug dealers make a fortune at selling narcotics seems no more than popularly misconceived

A good one right? For me pretty though, but one should consider the following before answering the question:

The verb + relative clause seems that ... cannot logically follow anything except an it subject, or it creates a grammatical redundancy:

Incorrect: Something seems that it is not right

Incorrect: John seems that he is sad
Correct: It seems that John is sad (It subject)
Correct: John seems to be sad. (John is the subject)

Does it help?

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2015, 03:17
reto wrote:

A. That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems that it is no more than a popular misconception
D. It seems that it is no more than a popular misconception that all drug dealers who sell narcotics make a fortune doing so
E. That all drug dealers make a fortune at selling narcotics seems no more than popularly misconceived

Official Explanation:

AC A:
This answer choice is grammatically incorrect and non-idiomatic. The verb + relative clause seems that ... cannot logically follow anything except an it subject, or it creates a grammatical redundancy:

Incorrect: Something seems that it is not right

Incorrect: John seems that he is sad
Correct: It seems that John is sad (It subject)
Correct: John seems to be sad. (John is the subject)

However, in this sentence the subject is (the idea) That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics.

AC B:
While this answer choice corrects the grammatical mistake in the original question, it is illogical and stylistically flawed. By adding the word fact the corrected sentence becomes illogical - something that seems to be a misconception cannot also be called a fact. Even if the sentence did make sense, the addition of the fact makes the sentence wordy and redundant.

AC C:
This answer choice corrects the original grammatical mistake by adding an it subject before the verb seems and turning the original subject into a relative clause describing misconception. Note that while this answer choice is stylistically flawed (the words to be are redundant), it is still the best answer choice.

AC D:
While grammatically correct, this answer choice is stylistically flawed. The phrases that it is, who sell narcotics, and doing so are wordy and redundant. There is an answer choice which conveys the same meaning in a more concise way. Find it.

AC E:
While this answer choice corrects the original grammatical mistake, it introduces a new one. The phrase no more than indicates a comparison, where both items compared should be grammatically parallel. However, the complex subject phrase (the idea) That all drug dealers make a fortune at selling narcotics is compared to the adjective phrase popularly misconceived.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2015, 04:10
" seems to be " is the correct usage..when something pretends as if it were something else..

Only C has it.

Regards,
Dom.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 08:18
"seem to" is the correct idiom. That was the only fact that help me to come up with correct answer.

Please kindly click on "+1 Kudos", if you think my post is useful

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2015, 09:18
Following the link provided in the forum, I found this to be the official explanation for choosing C as the best.

Quote:
Very good!
This answer choice corrects the original grammatical mistake by adding an it subject before the verb seems and turning the original subject into a relative clause describing misconception.
Note that while this answer choice is stylistically flawed (the words to be are redundant), it is still the best answer choice.

It looks as though C is the best of the available choices, if not the best, in view of the stylistic flaw of redundancy. It will be interesting to explore whether stylistic flaws have been tolerated in official GMAT questions.

Another amusing factor is that the whole perception of the Economist who proposed this hypothesis seems to be based on the financial records of a drug-peddling gang. The glaring question is which gang will maintain genuine financial records for such illegal activities as narcotic dealings? Although this premise is not part of the error area, still the misconception itself is arising from this fallacy. So it may be that it is not a misconception after all, but a reality

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 01:25
Isn't "seems to be" idiomatic? Thats why it was a clear C to me.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 01:38
noTh1ng
Hi

The author himself admits that 'seems to be' is unidiomatic.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 11:00
noTh1ng wrote:
Isn't "seems to be" idiomatic? Thats why it was a clear C to me.

daagh wrote:
noTh1ng
Hi
The author himself admits that 'seems to be' is unidiomatic.

noTh1ng and daagh,
I would say that, in and of itself, "seems to be" is perfectly correct and idiomatic. For example, it's fine in the construction:
Obama seems to be concerned that X.
It's very direct and clear in that construction. By contrast,
It seems to be no more than a popular misconception that all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics . . .
This is getting a bit long and unwieldy, although it's not clear that there is a better way to say it.
Mike

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 00:58
goodyear2013 wrote:

nice question. I missed this one, which is similar to og question (educator at fault)
the problem here is that

it seems that clause
it seems to be something.
in both cases, "it" is fake subject
something seem to be something

3 cases are the correct patterns. (do not read grammar books for this point because grammar books say little of this). end of story. this is all for "seem' and "that "clause.

something seems something
is incorrect pattern.

this is still meaning/logic point but is more close to pattern and grammar points.

thank you for posting.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 08:32
oh what a brilliant trap!
I chose B, but now I see what's wrong with it...
fact is a misconception - ai ai ai!
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 19:43
Could you please explain why option a is not correct?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 21:08
VKat wrote:
Could you please explain why option a is not correct?

Dear VKat,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am not sure how strong your command of English is, but for most native speakers, (A) sounds jarringly wrong:
That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems that it is no more than a popular misconception

You see, it would be natural-sounding to say either:
1) That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems no more than a misconception
or
2) It seems no more than a misconception that all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics
As a general rule, it's extremely awkward to have a "that" clause both before and after "seems." That's a general guideline, not a 100% rule.
In particular, I have trouble imagining any construction that wouldn't sound awkward with "X seems that it is Y," because I think in every case we could simply say "X seems Y."

Ideally, you would develop your English skills to the point at which this answer choice would sound jarringly wrong right away. I'm going to recommend this blog article:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
GPA: 3.8
That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2017, 08:18
Hey,
I only have one doubt regarding the use of colon. In this case it seems the phrase after de colon explains the popular misconception. If that's the case, shouldn't the correct version have "popular misconception" just before the colon?
That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2017, 08:18

That all drug dealers make a fortune selling narcotics seems

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap