It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 09:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That educators have not anticipated the impact of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 16:34
Option D seems to be the best option amongst the answer choices.C is too wordy.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2014, 07:29
egmat wrote:
freakygeek wrote:
Hi experts,

I understand that opening sentence is Dependent clause followed by ";", followed by Independent clause and we need to somehow convert dependent clause to independent clause.

Can you please explain why each of the answer choices are wrong here ? Especially what is the difference between C and D

Hi there,

Before we respond to your question, we would like to see your analysis of this question. This way, we can give you a more effective response based on your understanding of the question. Please attempt an analysis based on the three-step process.

I look forward to your response. :)

Thanks,
Meghna

Hi Meghna,
Let me try to answer this and then correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd focus on C and D only as rest is either grammatically wrong or awkward.

There is a shuttle change in meaning between C and D, I think.
C narrows down the educators' set to only those who have not anticipated the impact. So, it could be that there are other educators as well who are not involved here...But the intended meaning is not the same, the sentence actually refers to the (all)educators without narrowing down the set...and D makes it clear.

Now, please share e-GMAT's awesome analysis and explanation :-)

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 !!! NEW !!!

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2014, 09:13
Hi Meghna,

Can you please respond to my analysis

Its not over yet!!!

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2014, 00:38
I have a query related to option(B).

I don't see any problem with (B). And as per OE from OG, it is grammatically acceptable to start the clause with THAT.

That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault.

"THAT" introduces an idea.So, it the educators who can hardly be said to at fault.

Please suggest!

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2014, 10:45
Replace "that" with "the idea that" or "the fact that". Option B is saying that this idea can hardly be said to be at fault. Here, they want to say that the educators (not an idea) are not at fault. Option D does this.

Btw, you can start sentences with "that". Here's an example:
That he is intelligent is beyond dispute.

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

--Prasad
EnterMBA

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 22:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer
technology can hardly be said

Meaning : It can hardly be said that the educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology. Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

POE:

Option A) The Sentence starts with "that" and kind of inverted.

It can hardly be said That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology. And also “it is their fault”. The usage is educators are at fault.

Option B) Not sure who is at fault.

Option C) “it is the fault”. What does “it” signify?
We can say
“It can hardly be said that educators are at fault.”

Option D) Looks good.

Option E) Only issue I can find is the predicate of the sentence “The fact can hardly be said” is very far away and we lose track of it.

D) Looks good as per POE.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 00:44
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said

this is a hard question because we do not know the reason for wrongness though we can choose the oa.

in A, "it" can not be a fake subject because there is no idiom in which "it" can be a fake subject. so, "it" has not referent. wrong.

in B, the intended meaing is "the educators is at falt" not" that educator have not anticipated... is at falt". this is distorted meaning situation which is typical on gmat. Wrong.

in C. this choice is also a distorted meaning. the main meaning here is "it is the falt of educator" while the intended meaning is "the eduator is at fault" . wrong

between D and E. there is no idiom like E. the idiom is the pattern in D. in other words, E is wrong simply because it is not idiomatic.

D is left.

though I try to explain, I am not satisfiied and want more explanation. pls, join and share your idea. only when I have clear reasons for the wrong choice we can be confident .

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 03:21
bagdbmba wrote:
egmat wrote:
freakygeek wrote:
Hi experts,

I understand that opening sentence is Dependent clause followed by ";", followed by Independent clause and we need to somehow convert dependent clause to independent clause.

Can you please explain why each of the answer choices are wrong here ? Especially what is the difference between C and D

Hi there,

Before we respond to your question, we would like to see your analysis of this question. This way, we can give you a more effective response based on your understanding of the question. Please attempt an analysis based on the three-step process.

I look forward to your response. :)

Thanks,
Meghna

Hi Meghna,
Let me try to answer this and then correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd focus on C and D only as rest is either grammatically wrong or awkward.

There is a shuttle change in meaning between C and D, I think.
C narrows down the educators' set to only those who have not anticipated the impact. So, it could be that there are other educators as well who are not involved here...But the intended meaning is not the same, the sentence actually refers to the (all)educators without narrowing down the set...and D makes it clear.

Hi eGMAT,
Any update on this ? It's pretty long pending!

Would much appreciate your feedback.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 !!! NEW !!!

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 05:40
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi @freakygeek,

This one slipped my attention - very sorry about that. :-/ Thanks @bagdbmba for the reminder.

Thanks @freakygeek for providing your detailed analysis as suggested. I really like how you've paid attention to the structure of your sentence, particularly for your analysis of option A: you are right that two DCs don't make an IC, and you can use that justification to eliminate option A. Having said that, I wouldn’t use sentence structure as the primary focus when eliminating options for this question. Each of the incorrect options has a meaning issue here. Let’s see how.

Option A: Incorrect, as you’ve pointed out.

Option B: Completely distorts the intended meaning. “That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology” is the subject of the verb “can hardly be said”. Logically, this statement can’t be said to be at fault. It’s the educators who aren’t at fault.

Option C: “Educators who have not anticipated” restricts the meaning to those educators who haven’t anticipated the impact of microcomputers. However, the intended meaning is that educators in general can’t be faulted, not that a certain group of educators can’t be faulted.

Let’s see how the meaning gets restricted here. Look at these examples:

• The teacher distributed the notebooks among the students who had completed their homework.
=> Meaning: Only some students had done their homework. Only these students were given the notebooks.
• The teacher distributed the notebooks among the students, who had completed their homework.
=> Meaning: All the students referred to in the sentence had done their homework.

While these examples don't exactly correspond to the structure of this choice, I hope the meaning change is clear. "Educators, who have not..." means "all educators have not..." "Educators who have not..." means "some educators have not..."

Option D: Correct.

Option E: Again, this choice completely distorts the intended meaning. “The fact that educators are at fault” is misleading, since the point made by the sentence is that educators are NOT at fault. Moreover, ‘that fact’ is the subject of the verb ‘can hardly be said’. So, this choice says that “the fact… can hardly be said.” This meaning is illogical. If something is a fact, it’s already happened. So in other words, this choice is saying that the fact that educators are at fault has already happened, but it can hardly be said. There’s a serious meaning discrepancy here.

bagdbmba wrote:

@bagdbmba: I agree with your analysis of the meaning of option C: this option distorts the intended meaning of the original sentence, which refers to educators in general and not to a specific group.

I hope this analysis helps!

Regards,
Meghna

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 06:49
freakygeek wrote:
Overall we have DC + DC ; IC

Can you please explain where you noticed ";" in the sentence? I only see ":".

Also, I believe that there is no DC+DC. There is IC+DC. Following looks like a IC:

That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.

It's like this:

That people don't follow the rules is the reason for most law and order problems.

This seems to be a IC to me. Not sure what others think.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2014, 08:29
Although it is possible to begin a sentence with a subordinate clause beginning with that, this inverted construction often results in errors such as those found here. In the original sentence, the subordinate clause that... technology is followed by the main verb, can ... be said, but then the verb is followed by yet another subordinate clause, that it is their fault. The best way to solve this problem is by putting the sentence in the expected order,with the main clause (It can hardly be said) preceding the subordinate clause (that...). For greater clarity and concision, the two subordinate clauses should be condensed into one: educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology.

Remember that potential unused turns into pain. So dedicate yourself to expressing your best.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 01:31
This post received
KUDOS
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said

In GMAT world that primarily has two usages either a connector or act as a subject (please read the e-gmat's post on that). When that acts a connector, it will connect two clauses, each having it's own subject and verb. That as a subject will have a verb and will be modifying a noun.

Option A and B seems to have it's own subject and verb which means it's role should be of a connector but there are no clauses to connect hence incorrect.
C-Change in the meaning and wordy (changes the scope from Educators to Educators who have not anticipated)
D-Correct
E-Wordy.

Let's Kudos
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 09:27
I eliminated choices A and B because they start with "That".
then eliminated C and D, because I could not figure out to what "it" refers to.
the only answer that is left was E.

Now I understand that "the fact...can hardly be said" is incorrect, a fact cannot be hardly said, it is a fact!!
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2015, 15:48
Here are my 2c...
The first part before the colon must be able to stand alone as a sentence --> Eliminate A and B, a sentence starting with THAT (subordinate clause) can not stand alone
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology -> wrong meaning, wordy
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology -- CORRECT (IT is a placeholder here + postpones THAT-Clause)
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said. -> The fact can hardly be said ...?

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Chat Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2015, 04:15
D is the best answer. The rest change meaning.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg '17, ISB '17
GMAT Date: 05-20-2015
GPA: 3.06
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
Beautifully explained ; Kudos for you

Option E can also be eliminated on the following grounds :

When you see colon ' : ' , MAKE SURE the preceding part of the sentence is STAND ALONE ( as in a separate clause )

E can clearly be eliminated now

For more info about COLON , or any punctuations - Refer MGSC

Consider Kudos , if you found this post helpful :)

PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
A - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

That something has happened can hardly be said that it is their fault.
something = educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

The second that is problematic.

If we change the construction to - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be their fault, I don't see any grammatical lapses, the construction is inelegant and awkward. I would look for a better construction.

B - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

That something has happened can hardly be said to be at fault.
something = educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

What does it even mean? Who is at fault? An event cannot be at fault.

C - It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology is just a modifier modifying educators. So the sentence in essence reads - It can hardly be said that it is the fault of a certain kind of educators.

certain kind - those educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

Now what is the fault of educators? it has no referent.

E - The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.

Something can hardly be said - Okay

Something - The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

- Changes meaning. it is not a fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology. In fact this very thing is debatable.

D - It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology - Perfect.
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2015, 06:04
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
A - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

That something has happened can hardly be said that it is their fault.

The second that is problematic.

If we change the construction to - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be their fault, I don't see any grammatical lapses, the construction is inelegant and awkward. I would look for a better construction.

B - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

That something has happened can hardly be said to be at fault.

What does it even mean? Who is at fault? An event cannot be at fault.

C - It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology is just a modifier modifying educators. So the sentence in essence reads - It can hardly be said that it is the fault of a certain kind of educators.

certain kind - those educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

Now what is the fault of educators? it has no referent.

E - The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.

Something can hardly be said - Okay

Something - The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

- Changes meaning. it is not a fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology. In fact this very thing is debatable.

D - It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology - Perfect.

this posting is so nice that after giving you a kudos, I am writing here to say that this posting is great. AN EVENT CAN NOT BE AT FAULT. this thinking can be expanded to solve many other questions because it is typical of gmat thinking.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Insead '14, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 10-17-2014
WE: Analyst (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 23:09
Request the moderators from egmat or OptimusPrep help understand the logic for eliminating C.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 03:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nishith17 wrote:
Request the moderators from egmat or OptimusPrep help understand the logic for eliminating C.

nishith17

Ask the question: What can hardly be said?

The answer is the clause: it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology.

Now think of this clause independently.

First eliminate the modifier who have not.....technology referring to educators.

The clause becomes: it is the fault of the educators. ........ this is an incomplete clause.

The clause should have continued in the following way:
It is the fault of the educators that they did or did not XXXX.

Here the pronoun it acts as a placeholder that is used in place of the whole phrase that they did or did not XXXX.
Without the phrase that they did or did not XXXX, the pronoun it is incomplete .

This is the reason that option C is wrong... incomplete clause because of absence of an antecedent for the placeholder it.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 06:06
But I thought the present perfect tense should be used here. The action 'anticipate' occurred in the past, furthermore, the sentence has one of the example which also occurred in the past.

Pls help. I always have problem understanding questions regarding tenses.
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2016, 06:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 77 posts ] 

That educators have not anticipated the impact of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap