It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 00:30

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That educators have not anticipated the impact of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gianghoang217 wrote:
But I thought the present perfect tense should be used here. The action 'anticipate' occurred in the past, furthermore, the sentence has one of the example which also occurred in the past.

Pls help. I always have problem understanding questions regarding tenses.

As you have anticipated, the usage of present perfect for "anticipate" would be correct. However the options (A, B and C) using present perfect have other serious grammatical issues.

In option D, using simple present for the verb "are" is correct since the educators are still at fault - the fact is a general truth.

Kudos [?]: 3636 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 07:59
sayantanc2k wrote:
gianghoang217 wrote:
But I thought the present perfect tense should be used here. The action 'anticipate' occurred in the past, furthermore, the sentence has one of the example which also occurred in the past.

As you have anticipated, the usage of present perfect for "anticipate" would be correct. However the options (A, B and C) using present perfect have other serious grammatical issues.

In option D, using simple present for the verb "are" is correct since the educators are still at fault - the fact is a general truth.

Thank you very much. Per my understanding, we should eliminate other serious grammar mistakes first and left the tenses for last, is it right? I often see the grammar mistake to be very hard to recognize.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6122 [1], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gianghoang217 wrote:

hi,
there is one verb ARE which is correct as we are talking of todays educator..
But I think where you are going wrong is taking anticipate as a verb..
'anticipating' here is a GERUND and "not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said. " is an OBJECT of preposition FOR..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6122 [1], given: 121

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8331 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 11:00
I think choice A and B are wrong not because of the use clauses as subjects, but because of other reasons. Uses of clauses that have their own verbs are acceptable in Grammar. See the following link for an understanding of this theme.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/f ... subjpp.htm

That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault --- That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology--- is a subject clause and can hardly be said is the verb; So nothing wrong about that. However, what does the word ‘stand’ for? There is no precise referent for the pronoun ‘it’

(B) that educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault --- Although this removes the problematic ‘it’, still we cannot say that a phenomenon of some people not anticipating is at fault.

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology -- yet again the problem of a referent-less second ‘it’

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology --- Good enough

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said -- the same problem as in B., in addition, the ending is weird.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8331 [0], given: 366

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 277 [1], given: 64

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
When I review this question with students, I find the best way to think about it is to think of the following structure as an idiom:

"It's surprising that __________"

"It can hardly be said that ________"

"It's unfortunate but true that __________"

This construction is a particular type of English idiom that's used to avoid putting a very long, complicated clause at the beginning of a sentence. Given the choice, most of us native English speakers should prefer (1) to (2) below:

(1) It's unfortunate that Jordan and Lee unexpectedly divorced after five seemingly happy years of marriage. - Good
(2) That Jordan and Lee unexpectedly divorced after five seemingly happy years of marriage is unfortunate. - Weird

You might want to cross off (1) because the 'it' doesn't seem to refer to anything. However, that's because in this particular idiom, there's a 'hollow it' that doesn't refer to anything at all, and that's okay. The 'hollow it' shows up in other English sentences too, like "It's raining" or "It's going to be beautiful outside today."

Really, what I think is being tested in options (A) and (B) is whether you recognize the 'it can hardly be said that ______' idiom, and whether you know that it's better to keep an idiom in its normal form than to move the bits around.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 277 [1], given: 64

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 330 [1], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
gianghoang217 wrote:

Context and meaning determine the tense usage. Hopefully it is clear that anticipate means predict/expect. From the sentence, it is very clear that educators were proven wrong because microcomputer technology did have a significant impact (which is something that educators did not anticipate). So, anticipation and proving wrong of that anticipation, all happened in the past. Hence, present perfect is not a valid tense.

Let’s look at an analogy that will hopefully ring bells.

Would we say:

i) Economists did not predict the great depression of 1930s (simple past)

Or would we say:

ii) Economists have not predicted the great depression of 1930s (present perfect)

It should be clear that ii) does not make any sense, since the prediction as well as the failure of that prediction (in this case great depression) all happened in the past. Hence, simple past should be used, not present perfect.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 330 [1], given: 13

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 10:28
gianghoang217 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
gianghoang217 wrote:

Thank you very much. Per my understanding, we should eliminate other serious grammar mistakes first and left the tenses for last, is it right? I often see the grammar mistake to be very hard to recognize.

Tense errors are serious grammatical mistakes - it would not be appropriate to prioritize them low. Have you tried to understand the tense issues using a time line? The timeline approach helps clarify the concept of tense.

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

D

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 10:39
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault
full part in bold is the subject here. the construction "SUBJECT + can hardly be said that it is their fault" is wrong and make no sense.

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
same as A.

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
wrong construction. we call it 'empty it'.

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said
D wins over E due to brevity. E is wordy.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 113

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 01:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 04:39
HI ... I just have a quick question -
Answer D does seem right although one of the grammar rules I learnt was that a pronoun always needs an antecedent. In answer D, the pronoun 'It' has no antecedent.

What am I missing? Please help.

Ref:
(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

Sheetal

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8331 [1], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 19:42
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
1. No. One can’t take the antecedence rule that rigidly. As may be seen, the antecedent always precedes the pronoun. However, in Choice D, the pronoun is starting a sentence. Obviously, we cannot have an antecedent. Can we therefore logically claim that all sentences that start with a pronoun are wrong? That is why we have to say that a pronoun must have either an antecedent or a postcedent, meaning that the referred noun appears later in the clause.

2. Again, there is a factor known as placeholder pronouns. Some pronouns that are used to start a sentence sometimes serve the purpose of filling up the flow of the clause, without any real value. This is an accepted norm in formal English.
Consider the following. It was reported in the TV that India would have sumptuous rains this year. – Here the word it has no particular antecedent or postcedent. Still, it is not a faulty sentence.
Another example will be: it is polled that the controversial presidential candidate is losing ground due to his antics in public platforms. What is the 'it' standing for? It has neither antecedence nor postcedence.

Similarly, the 'it' in choice D is a placeholder it. However, when the same pronoun is used in the middle of the sentence or at the end, then one has to be careful. The second it mostly will be required to have some reference in the form of a noun, either in the front or in the back.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8331 [1], given: 366

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 20:04
Wow thank you so much. This surely helps clear my concept! :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 14

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 21:26
This post received
KUDOS
Sentence Construction
Subject Verb

That //that used as pronoun and refers to the line "educators...."
    educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
can hardly be said
that it is their fault : //that used as a connector. "it" refers to the line "educators...."
Alvin Toffler,
    one of the most prominent students of the future,
did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock,
    published in 1970

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault
- do not find any big issues other than sounding awkward and using too many pronouns
(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
- simplified sentence "That... can hardly be said to be at fault", "at" should be "their" in this context for the correct meaning
(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
– changes meaning, puts onus on educators to anticipate the impact which is incorrect
- Concise. Only one pronoun "it" used
(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.
– changes meaning from “hardly (not) being at fault” to “responsible for being at fault”

Thanks.

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 14

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 71

GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 14:33
x2suresh wrote:

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said

D) => It is/was/seems ________+that clause
or It is /was/ seems ______to verb
Then it will not be treated as pronoun

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 71

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 13:06
Its a silly question but can someone tell me what does "it" refer to in option d?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9428 [1], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
santro789 wrote:
Its a silly question but can someone tell me what does "it" refer to in option d?

Hello santro789,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The pronoun it does not refer to any noun in Choice D because it is not meant to do so. In Choice D, pronoun it has been used as a placeholder.

So yes, apart from referring to a logical noun entity, certain pronouns are also used as placeholders.

As suggested by the name itself, the placeholder pronouns just hole the subject or the object place in a sentence without referring to any noun.

For example:

1. It rained all night.

2. The teacher made it very clear that the project must be submitted with 48 hours.

In the above-mentioned sentences, pronoun it does not refer to any noun. Similar is the usage of it in the relevant official question.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9428 [1], given: 348

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 408

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 05:53
x2suresh wrote:

look at choice A and B.
"be said that" can be used in the following
it can be said that I am good at gmat test.
in above pattern, "it" is fake subject. choice A dose not meet this standard. A is wrong
I am said to be a good person
in this case, "I" is real subject.
we can not use "that clause " to be subject in this pattern. B is gone.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 408

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 05:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 77 posts ] 

That educators have not anticipated the impact of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap