It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That educators have not anticipated the impact of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2004
Posts: 170

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Location: MONTREAL
That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2005, 05:15
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:08) correct 28% (01:17) wrong based on 2395 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault : Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970


(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault to lower the underground water level and to dig trenches
(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 698

Kudos [?]: 63 [1], given: 0

Re: SC- The impact of microcomputer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2005, 11:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
mbassmbass04 wrote:
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault : Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970


(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault to lower the underground water level and to dig trenches
(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.


Any one care to parse why each answer choice is right or wrong.

A, has pronouns that have no referrents [second that???].
E, dont need "the fact" - redundant. You can just say "That educators are at fault...."
C. the 2nd "it" has no specific referrents.

Between B and D, D definitely sounds more pleasant to the ears. Whats wrong with B?

Kudos [?]: 63 [1], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5032

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 0

Location: Singapore
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2005, 23:46
The colon is used to equate two parts of a sentence where the second part is dependent on the first part.

D will do nicely for the sentence. The first part of the sentence "It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology" is now independent, and the second part after the colon is dependent on this frist sentence.

I'll go with D

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Posts: 838

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

Location: Hyderabad
Re: SC- The impact of microcomputer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2005, 00:05
gmataquaguy wrote:
mbassmbass04 wrote:
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault : Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970


(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault to lower the underground water level and to dig trenches
(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.


Any one care to parse why each answer choice is right or wrong.

A, has pronouns that have no referrents [second that???].
E, dont need "the fact" - redundant. You can just say "That educators are at fault...."
C. the 2nd "it" has no specific referrents.

Between B and D, D definitely sounds more pleasant to the ears. Whats wrong with B?


problem with B:
"at fault" = open to blame : RESPONSIBLE [couldn't determine who was really at fault]

IMO the meaning of at fault doesn't fit into the sentence - someone can be at fault. I am not sure if I am clear - Not able to explain it grammatically!

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 698

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- The impact of microcomputer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2005, 16:18
Vithal wrote:
gmataquaguy wrote:
mbassmbass04 wrote:
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault : Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970


(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault to lower the underground water level and to dig trenches
(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.


Any one care to parse why each answer choice is right or wrong.

A, has pronouns that have no referrents [second that???].
E, dont need "the fact" - redundant. You can just say "That educators are at fault...."
C. the 2nd "it" has no specific referrents.

Between B and D, D definitely sounds more pleasant to the ears. Whats wrong with B?


problem with B:
"at fault" = open to blame : RESPONSIBLE [couldn't determine who was really at fault]

IMO the meaning of at fault doesn't fit into the sentence - someone can be at fault. I am not sure if I am clear - Not able to explain it grammatically!


"At Fault" is used in the same context in both B and D. Can someone jump in to explain why B is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 698

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2005, 15:01
OA please?? What is the grammatical reason that B is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 698

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2005, 19:01
Bumping up this thread. OA please. Also any explanations on why B is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2227

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- The impact of microcomputer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2005, 21:19
(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

Simplify to be:

Something (a fact, whatever) can't be said to be at fault ...

The point in the stem is that the educators are not at fault, not the fact itself not being at fault.
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 894

Kudos [?]: 55 [1], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2005, 10:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
B is awkward. "That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault " what/who is at fault?

Kudos [?]: 55 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2004
Posts: 126

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- The impact of microcomputer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2005, 02:30
mbassmbass04 wrote:
[u]
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology.


Some one says that the 2nd it has no referent. OK. But if "it" is changed to "this", C would be right?
Anyone can help.
_________________

Regards,
Wunderbar03

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

6 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1790

Kudos [?]: 1101 [6], given: 5

Location: New York
That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2008, 15:44
6
This post received
KUDOS
46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1101 [6], given: 5

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 127

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2008, 16:03
My pick is D, but I dont have strong reasons for eliminating others.
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said
>> awkward & passive.

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 100

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 0

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2008, 18:45
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said


D is the answer. Don't know simply why we put "that" phrase in front, when we can have a form of "it~that~". Each choice, on top of it, has some mistakes and are written wordy...

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1878

Kudos [?]: 1468 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2008, 18:54
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said


1. I am sensitive with "the fact that" in gmat
2. "It can hardly be said that + clause"- the polite way to express your position that are not favor any side.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1468 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 286

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2008, 20:57
D is correct.
The reason for elimination of A was in my log, so I remember the Q,

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 310

Kudos [?]: 188 [2], given: 1

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2008, 09:42
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said


D for me.

That is used to introduce a subordinate. Using that at the start of the sentence is incorrect since a main clause should be introduced rather than a subordinate. E is flawed it is incomplete.

C is wordy and the noun (educators) should come directly before the modifying phrase "It can hardly be said ..."

Kudos [?]: 188 [2], given: 1

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1339

Kudos [?]: 875 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2008, 20:36
I pick D

We need an independent clause here.
A,B->out

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said

Kudos [?]: 875 [0], given: 10

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 504

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2008, 23:11
I pick D too...

A, B are out.. its passive

E: ]can hardly be said seems wrong..

C: wordy..

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1790

Kudos [?]: 1101 [0], given: 5

Location: New York
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 18:54
Thanks guys...

OA is D
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1101 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Posts: 50

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 18:41
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault
(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said



[Reveal] Spoiler: My doubt
Well, this post has already been posted, but there are no answers to explain why C isn't correct?

I think C is more clear. pls come a master to explain it. Thank you

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2011, 18:41

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 77 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

That educators have not anticipated the impact of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.