Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
in choice D, why "he" is needed. we need only "hopes". in many OA in og books, the subject is not repeated before the second verb.

some questions test the split between a choice with subject is retained as in choice d and a choice without subject in the second clause.

pls, explain

Hello thangvietnam!

Thank you for your question. Let's look at option D with the non-underlined portion added in:

The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, winning prestigious awards in both London and Tokyo for his achievement at such a young age, and he hopes to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago.

We need the word "he" because the phrase (highlighted in blue) starts with a comma + and. That indicates that whatever comes after the coordinating conjunction "and" MUST be an independent clause! We need to repeat the subject to make this an independent clause, but instead of repeating the entire subject (The 19-year-old pianist and composer), we can just substitute the pronoun "he."

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 360
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work al [#permalink]
Hi Experts! GMATNinja egmat

Can you please explain what is the modifier "winning...." modifying here? As per my understanding, it is modifying the verb in the clause starting with "The 19-year-old pianist and composer.......". However, I don't understand the meaning of the sentence.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
saichandrateja wrote:

Can you please explain what is the modifier "winning...." modifying here? As per my understanding, it is modifying the verb in the clause starting with "The 19-year-old pianist and composer.......". However, I don't understand the meaning of the sentence.

I can see why you are confused, saichandrateja. It would not make sense to say that the -ing phrase is modifying performed. How could such an action win anything? No, it is the very subject you identified in quotes, the 19-year-old pianist and composer, as a person, who is capable of winning prestigious awards. Keep in mind that a participle has broad applicability, so you have to lean on context to guide you to an accurate interpretation. Here, a single line stands out as sensible. (If such were not the case, then you would need to reevaluate the phrase or seek other—clearer—options.)

You may find this thread useful. I particularly enjoy the to-the-point response by mikemcgarry.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 360
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
saichandrateja wrote:

I can see why you are confused, saichandrateja. It would not make sense to say that the -ing phrase is modifying performed. How could such an action win anything? No, it is the very subject you identified in quotes, the 19-year-old pianist and composer, as a person, who is capable of winning prestigious awards. Keep in mind that a participle has broad applicability, so you have to lean on context to guide you to an accurate interpretation. Here, a single line stands out as sensible. (If such were not the case, then you would need to reevaluate the phrase or seek other—clearer—options.)

You may find this thread useful. I particularly enjoy the to-the-point response by mikemcgarry.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Hi Andrew!

Thanks for your response. Following the thread mentioned by you, I found an intense debate on the usage of "-ing verbal modifiers". I am puzzled and surprised because that thread didn't lead to a conclusion about right usage, at least as per GMAT. It would be beneficial if egmat, GMATNinja or experts can shed some light on this.

-Sai Chandra Teja
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
saichandrateja wrote:
I found an intense debate on the usage of "-ing verbal modifiers".

Hi Sai, present participial phrases are intricate constructs. What they modify and how they behave, depends on quite a few factors, including their position in the sentence (at the beginning or at the end of a sentence) and even by the presence or absence of a comma.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses participial phrases, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Between B and D, I chose B as my answer because of parallelism between "writing" and "hoping".

Can someone please explain where did I go wrong ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AP6931 wrote:
Between B and D, I chose B as my answer because of parallelism between "writing" and "hoping".

Can someone please explain where did I go wrong ?

Hi AP6931, basically B is saying:

The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed his most recent work all over Europe, Asia, and North America last year, hoping to continue composing now that he has returned to Chicago.

hoping to continue composing.. is (what's called as) a present participial phrase. A Present participial phrase needs to have some relation with the previous clause (The 19-year-old pianist and composer.....North America last year).

However, in this case, there is no correlation. In other words, the fact that the 19-year-old pianist and composer performed all over the world, has no correlation with his hope to continue composing.

Since these are two independent fact, we should articulate the sentence as:

The 19-year-old pianist and composer performed......, and he hopes to continue composing.....

Another example of an incorrect usage of present participial phrase:

Peter was born in Africa, graduating from Europe.

Again, the fact that Peter is/was graduating from Europe, has no correlation with Peter being born in Africa. Hence, the usage of present participial phrase (graduating from....) is incorrect. Since these are two independent fact, we should articulate the sentence as:

Peter was born in Africa, and graduated from Europe.

An easy way to eliminate B:

Notice B states:

...winning prestigious awards both in London and Tokyo...

This is incorrect from a parallelism perspective. We can either say:

...winning prestigious awards in both London and Tokyo...

Or

...winning prestigious awards both in London and in Tokyo...

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses correlation issue in present participial prhases, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal DmitryFarber
Can you please explain if there is parallelism involved here in "performed his " "and he hopes". I chose B because I thought that D is eliminating the parallelism? Please help
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM