Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [53]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [11]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [4]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: The 1950 Graver Tank & Manufacturing Co. v. Linde Air Products Co. Sup [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I disqualified option A because of the usage of plural "toward" and went for option E because of the usage of singular "towards.

But then, i have my ressrvations about option E because of the "they" at the terminal part. I think "it" should be accurate as the subject of the clause there is "the doctrine of equivalents" - a singular subject.

I think we need more clarification as to why A is most correct

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [3]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: The 1950 Graver Tank & Manufacturing Co. v. Linde Air Products Co. Sup [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
The 1950 Graver Tank & Manufacturing Co. v. Linde Air Products Co. Supreme Court decision went a long way toward establishing the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents, which allows patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction, and explaining how and when it was to be used.

A. toward establishing the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents, which allows patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction, and explaining how and when it was

E. towards establishing the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents, allowing patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction, and explaining how and when they were

E is wrong because it changes the meaning of the sentence. I have seen the GMAT use this parallelism trap multiple times in the difficult questions.

The decision of the supreme court went a long way toward establishing.... and explaining. The clause "which allows patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction" modifies the preceding clause and provides more information. By changing "allows" to "allowing", the sentence implies that the decision of the supreme court went a long way toward establishing, allowing, and explaining (which is not the case).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 32
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The 1950 Graver Tank & Manufacturing Co. v. Linde Air Products Co. Supreme Court decision went a long way toward establishing the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents, which allows patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction, and explaining how and when it was to be used.

A. toward establishing the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents, which allows patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction, and explaining how and when it was

B. toward establishing the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents, which allow patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction, and to explain how and when it was

C. towards the establishment of the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents, which allows patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction, and explaining how and when it was

D. toward establishing the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents, which allows patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction, and explained how and when they were

E. towards establishing the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents, allowing patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction, and explaining how and when they were[/quote]

Answer:
This question can actually be solved without getting into the mess of toward vs towards, though they seem as easy elimination but not error proof.

So the question is basically saying,
The 1950 Supreme Court decision went a long way TOWARD/TOWARDS (lets keep both for now)
a. establishing the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents
and
b. explaining how and when it was to be used

notice that 'which allows patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction' is modifying the doctrine (of equivalent in prepositional phrase, so which can reach back) and also it is enclosed within double commas which here serve as the start and end of the modifier. Also, 'how and when it (read it as doctrine) was to be used' is explained by Supreme court decision and not by doctrine itself.

So clearly point a and point b above,are the two consequences of supreme court action, hence they both should be parallel.

Choice A): seems alright, clearly 'it' in 'explaining how and when it was' refers to doctrine
Choice B): establishing and to explain are not parallel, definitely wrong.
Choice C): establishment and explaining are not parallel, again wrong.
Choice D): here the major problem is they (as verb-ing and verb-ed can be parallel), clearly they cant refere to doctrine as its singular, again wrong answer
Choice E): Again a they, wrong answer.

So clearly our right answer is A.

Hit Kudos, if you like the explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
The 1950 Graver Tank & Manufacturing Co. v. Linde Air Products Co. Sup [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,
I am one of the 37% who answered incorrectly and chose E.
The reason why I chose E is the use of singular towards and option C does not have parallel phrases. E has an ambiguous "they" but I still chose it. Could you please explain why use of toward is right?
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
The 1950 Graver Tank & Manufacturing Co. v. Linde Air Products Co. Sup [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Can anyone please explain?

I chose E.
"they" is referring to air products.
In A : what is "it" referring to?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bookmarks
Doer01 wrote:
Hi,
I am one of the 37% who answered incorrectly and chose E.
The reason why I chose E is the use of singular towards and option C does not have parallel phrases. E has an ambiguous "they" but I still chose it. Could you please explain why use of toward is right?
Thanks.

I did the same thing. Although I didn't spend long enough on the question to catch the ambigious "they". I googled this, and apparently toward and towards are exactly the same!?! Surprised by that, and wish I could confirm this with a GMAT source.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Nnamdi92 wrote:
shaarang wrote:
Quote:

E. towards establishing the propriety of the doctrine of equivalents, allowing patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction, and explaining how and when they were

E is wrong because it changes the meaning of the sentence. I have seen the GMAT use this parallelism trap multiple times in the difficult questions.

The decision of the supreme court went a long way toward establishing.... and explaining. The clause "which allows patent law to accommodate reason outside of its exact jurisdiction" modifies the preceding clause and provides more information. By changing "allows" to "allowing", the sentence implies that the decision of the supreme court went a long way toward establishing, allowing, and explaining (which is not the case).

I am quite surprised you didnt make mention of the significant distinctive features of options A and E which are "it" and "they", respectively.

What do those pronouns refer to and are they correctly used?

Posted from my mobile device

You are correct, but that was already mentioned in the discussion. I wanted to add something that hadn't already been discussed given that the parallelism trap is quite common in mid-700 level question and one should always be alert to the shift in meaning.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 208
Schools: Fisher (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
Send PM
Kudos
How come 'decision' and 'toward' are correct in this sentence. Shouldnt it be towards instead of toward?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [1]
Send PM