Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Re: The 2008 ZERO admits club [#permalink]
Kudos
I too really hope everyone gives the app process another shot. The best ways to improve, if your GMAT is not too low, is to get more responsibility at work and to get invovled in more organizations, clubs, sports, etc outside of work. Do all of those things, and you will see that your application will be more focused and impressive than the previous year. And, don't let me hear the word "CAN'T." There's always a way; it may take you outside of your comfort zone, but you do what you gotta go.

Also, start early. Starting in the summer for R1 apps will give you time to research schools, find the intricacies that separate them from other schools (intricacies not found on the school's website), talk to students, and it will also give us '10'ers some time to thoroughly help you--if need be.

Not to mention, all of your GMAT scores are high enough to bump up any school's average. All of that work ethic and brainpower needs a home...b-school is that home. GO TO YOUR HOME!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Kudos
Your profiles can cumulatively make for an impressive resume book for a UE. Seriously, you guys have some amazing #s, work experience as well as XCs.

I am sure some of you will get off the WL. For others, you have a terrific leg up over this year's fresh applicants. I am pretty confident that none of you will be empty-handed by the end of the next app season. I will be around to help in any way I can.

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I did a little statistic. Us zero admits have an average GMAT score of 730 and average WE of 5 years. We've, on average, applied to 5 schools and ended up with results of 1 WL after 2 interviews. Cumulatively, we can bring up the stats of any b-school in the world (including HSW) - hell maybe I should start a new b-school (like in that movie "Accepted").
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
You guys have strong profiles, and the right attitude is not to give up.

Many of you already know what went wrong, and honestly, for some of you that I know more close histories and essays I'd say that timing was the biggest issue. Even if the WLs do not turn into admit, you guys already know that R1 is the key. R2 sucks.

Looking for my own case, I believe that what I did right was to understand my competition, I was planning to apply with a 670GMAT, had chosen a handful of schools, but after studying a lot (I'm not as smart as you guys) I was VERY lucky, and that made me change some of my target schools (though GSB was already there). I wouldn't apply neither to Stanford nor to MIT, and changed my mind because I knew, specially with Sloan, that with the score I got my whole profile was stronger. I think that you guys should reflect about what would bring excitment on the other side of the table: GMAT, WE, EC...

I'll have a very hard April month (work and personall things), but I'd like to help you with what I can. Later I'll let my whole GSB and MIT application on the essay vault, and if you want I can read your application and see what I can help (if I can help).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Technically, I do not have 0 admit, but I have almost made my mind not to accept what I have and to pine for what I do not have :(

GMAT Score : 770
Work Experience : 3+ years
#Applications : 4
#Dings : 1
#Interviews : 3
#WL : 1 ( admit from other 2, which I am now not very eager to join)
Which ding hurt the most and why ?
Chicago hurt the most. Both of my recommendations failed to meet even the extended deadlines for recommendations. I did not even get an interview!
What next ?
Writing letters of intent to my waitlist school and preparing for next years application rounds.
Why the lack of success?
Not staretgizing properly and applying late. I started my Chi application essays 8-9 days before deadline. Did not apply to EA round for my target school even knowing that is my first choice ( but I had other concrete reasons for not applying to EA too), but the decision proved costly.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
ashaker wrote:
This thread has really unnerved me..seems like nothing really gurantees you a spot in the top ten ! Out of morbid curiosity..How did recommenders react to dings ? Did supervisors just say-its ok , get back to work now ? Thats one of my major fears before i approach recommenders in my company. what if i go through this whole process..and then I get rejected everywhere ?!

My manager wrote my recommendation and he knows about my dings. From what I've noticed, most managers (via friends and my own experience) are quite supportive of people going to get MBAs. He continues to ask me about my progress on the waitlist and is keen that I get into school. In the meantime, he has also told me that I will be getting promoted soon, so he is not holding the fact that I am applying to business school against me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [1]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Kudos
ashaker wrote:
This thread has really unnerved me..seems like nothing really gurantees you a spot in the top ten ! Out of morbid curiosity..How did recommenders react to dings ? Did supervisors just say-its ok , get back to work now ? Thats one of my major fears before i approach recommenders in my company. what if i go through this whole process..and then I get rejected everywhere ?!

When I spoke to my recommenders I basically showed them how competitive it is. Is some cases your talking about 14% admittance rates. I think this encourages them to do their best for you but also builds a foundation in case you don't get accepted. Especially if your in a situation where if you don't go top 10 your going to wait until next year.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Kudos
definitely apply to a "safety" school that you will go to if that's the only school you got into. If such a school doesn't exist, then be prepared to re-apply again next year if this year doens't work out...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
My piece of advice would be to really commit yourself to these schools. That means to spend a lot of time with your essays to make sure you have a polished and clear story explaining who you are, why you need an MBA, and why an MBA from that school is the logical next step. You really should visit the schools and sit in on classes. You should go to info-sessions and talk to people. If you can find a way to differentiate yourself so that adcom, current students, etc. all know how excited and gung-ho you are about the school, they will have a much harder time turning you down. If you present yourself with a weak set of essays, lifeless interview, no word of every visiting the school, etc. they will likely just ding you and pick another person who has demonstrated enthusiasm.

Put yourself into the shoes on adcom...you would pick the energetic, confident, down to earth, cool, humble, polite, and appreciative guy with good stats over the aloof person who comes in with the attitude of "you guys are lucky to have me and if you convince me, i might decide to go to your school", etc.

Good luck everyone on the WL. I know many students who have a lot of luck reapplying because the reapplication tells adcom that they really really want to go there.

RVD.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
bsd_lover wrote:
3 member all 700+ scores, goes to show how competitive life is when it comes to b-school admits.

damn, this thread makes me want to jump off a bridge. :evil:
in all fairness, everyone is aiming at top 10 here (i.e no one is applying to a nonranked program)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
The saddest post on the forum. I hope the WL will turn out positive and then you can renounce your membership. Hopefully no one else will have to join this thread. I hope I won't next year. :wink:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
I feel your pain sango - that is an incredible GMAT score - you sure you don't wanna reapp next year ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
I am still trying to figure out by getting experts on the forum to review my essays.

I am no expert .. not even close. But I sincerely want you to turn one of your WL into admit. Failing that, have tremendous success next year. So, if you think that my review may help you even a bit, then send me your essays. I'll try to do my best reviewing them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Sorry to hear guys, but don't lose hope! Cliché aside, life works in mysterious ways and the next opportunity is always around the corner.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for sharing tsaditya - the what next part is perhaps the most difficult part for all of us.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
I'm sorry, guys.. bsd & adc.. you guys should have gotten in :(

if you need my help, please let me know.. my wish is that the people in this thread will be in the 2009 Clean Sweep Club!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Hey guys.. its tough out there... but you don`t have to go to the USA for an MBA if your goal doesn`t need you to.
It gives you a lot more options when you apply. I applied to USA schools and schools in Europe and Asia, my focus/goal doesn`t require me to work in the USA afterwards (although i would have liked to have that exposure), but i still feel i can achieve my goals without being based in the USA, and still get USA exposure via student exchange.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5