It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:05

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2014, 21:33
Quote:
I understand c is the correct answer, but at the same time i wonder if "derive" is the right verb form on this example. Shouldn't it be "were derived"?

if you use passive "were derived" then the implied meaning wound be that this stuff was derived by someone ,which in fact might not be the case .here the implication is that language evolution is taking place on its own

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2014, 07:35
Thanks, but we can still say derived, instead of derive as the action happened in the past, is that correct?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Director
Director

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2014, 08:18
hyunlee1030 wrote:
Thanks, but we can still say derived, instead of derive as the action happened in the past, is that correct?

we can but that will not be a make or break for selection .

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9491 [0], given: 1203

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2014, 05:39

Kudos [?]: 9491 [0], given: 1203

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 00:38
metallicafan wrote:
+1 C

A "which" refers to "it"
B "and from which..." is not a clause
C Correct
D "derives" is wrong; we are talking about northern AND southern alphabets
E "deriving from..." is not a clause

Request you to please elaborate more on the Option E ! why is it wrong.

I understand C is correct , however if we talk about parallelism isn't C giving us that?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [2], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
GRITTY16 wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 C

A "which" refers to "it"
B "and from which..." is not a clause
C Correct
D "derives" is wrong; we are talking about northern AND southern alphabets
E "deriving from..." is not a clause

Request you to please elaborate more on the Option E ! why is it wrong.

I understand C is correct , however if we talk about parallelism isn't C giving us that?

E is wrong because of multiple reasons:
1. 'with it the aramaic script' - so 'it' refers to "The Achaemenid empire of Persia". The thumb rule is that we cannot change the reference of pronoun in one statement; therefore, 'it' should refer to "The Achaemenid empire of Persia" throughout the statement. Well this is an issue because the second part of statement, "deriving from it", refers it as aramaic script. Hence it is incorrect.

2. Second issue is parallelism across both...and...
"both the northern and southern India alphabets"
'the' is missing in southern India alphabets..which makes it fault parallelism. We need 'the' to compare apple and apple.

3. when we have a construction of "S+V+Obj, -ing form" - usually -ing refers to subject of the sentence. In this case 'deriving' refers to 'The Achaemenid empire of Persia', changing the meaning of the sentence - as if 'The Achaemenid empire of Persia' were deriving something..

Hope it helps

Cheers

Kudos [?]: 21 [2], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 101

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 11:02
The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C., bringing the Aramaic script with it, from which was derived both northern and southern India alphabets.

1: meaning analysis:
The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C. while it brings the Aramaic script with it,
the Aramaic script was the source of both northern and southern India alphabets

2: error analysis:
the sentence intend to say: both northern and southern India alphabets were derived from Aramaic script

bringing with it the Aramaic script, from which...
from which is referring to the Aramaic script and must be placed as close as possible to it.

the second part of the sentence has SV error.
both X and Y were derived

3: POE:
A
B the Aramaic script with it, and from which deriving both the northern and the
the first sentence must ended with Aramaic script otherwise we have modifier error+ "and" is problematic here
C with it the Aramaic script, from which derive both the northern and the both derive correct the SV error in the original sentence
D with it the Aramaic script, from which derives both northern and
E with it the Aramaic script, and deriving from it both the northern and
it seems that bringing and deriving are parallel . it implies that Achaemenid empire did act of deriving

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 101

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Schools: IIMA
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 04:37
The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C., bringing the Aramaic script with it, from which was derived both northern and southern India alphabets.

A the Aramaic script with it, from which was derived both northern and (which should be close to modifiers- Aramaic script )
B the Aramaic script with it, and from which deriving both the northern and the (Same here -wrong )
C with it the Aramaic script, from which derive both the northern and the (Correctly modifies as well as s-v 'derive' :we are talking about northern AND southern alphabets )
D with it the Aramaic script, from which derives both northern and (Derives -wrong)
E with it the Aramaic script, and deriving from it both the northern and (Wrong )

this SC can be solved by usases of which and s-v agreement

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 09:17
The correct answer is "C"

Reason being the "from which" in C is correctly modifying the Aramaic script whereas in sentence A it is modifies the Achaemenid empire of Persia.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 196

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2014, 07:27
Fistail wrote:

A the Aramaic script with it, from which was derived both northern and
C with it the Aramaic script, from which derive both the northern and the

A) "from which" seems to incorrectly refer to the empire (referenced by the pronoun "it") rather than to the script. Also, the singular verb "was derived" does not agree in number with the plural subject "northern and southern Indian alphabets". Finally, the subject "northern and southern Indian alphabets" is unclear: are there several alphabets, or only one of each?

B) "and" creates a lack of connection between the two parts of the sentence. Additionally, "deriving" is an incorrect verb tense.

C) CORRECT. "From which" correctly refers to the script. Additionally, "derive," a plural verb, correctly agrees with the plural subject "the Northern and the Southern Indian alphabets."

D) "derives," a singular verb, does not agree with the plural subject "Northern and Southern Indian alphabets."

E) The second pronoun "it" is ambiguous: does it refer to the "empire" or to the "script"? Additionally, the original intent of the sentence is significantly changed in meaning.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2014, 07:28
Fistail wrote:

A) "from which" seems to incorrectly refer to the empire (referenced by the pronoun "it") rather than to the script. Also, the singular verb "was derived" does not agree in number with the plural subject "northern and southern Indian alphabets". Finally, the subject "northern and southern Indian alphabets" is unclear: are there several alphabets, or only one of each?

B) "and" creates a lack of connection between the two parts of the sentence. Additionally, "deriving" is an incorrect verb tense.

C) CORRECT. "From which" correctly refers to the script. Additionally, "derive," a plural verb, correctly agrees with the plural subject "the Northern and the Southern Indian alphabets."

D) "derives," a singular verb, does not agree with the plural subject "Northern and Southern Indian alphabets."

E) The second pronoun "it" is ambiguous: does it refer to the "empire" or to the "script"? Additionally, the original intent of the sentence is significantly changed in meaning.

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 10:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2015, 06:47

The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C.
EOP brought the Aramaic script.
the northern and southern India alphabets came/drive from AS.

A. the Aramaic script with it, from which was derived both northern and
B. the Aramaic script with it, and from which deriving both the northern and the
>>Changes the meaning as E.
C. with it the Aramaic script, from which derive both the northern and the
D. with it the Aramaic script, from which derives both northern and
E. with it the Aramaic script, and deriving from it both the northern
>>Changes the meaning by making -ing modifier ||.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 606

8 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 240 [8], given: 49

GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS

Pre-thinking:
"script with it, from which" - "it" refers to "empire", "from which.." modifies "it" that is "empire", but "from which..." was not derived from the "empire",. It was derived from the "script". So we need "script, from which" construction.

A. the Aramaic script with it, from which was derived both northern and - Incorrect as per the explanation above
B. the Aramaic script with it, and from which deriving both the northern and the -
(1) Repeats the same error in A.
(2)There are multiple uses of "and" here, so let's see the final sentence in its entirety with this choice:

The Achaemenid empire of Persia
reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C., bringing the Aramaic script with it,
and from which deriving both the northern and the southern India alphabets.

Now, there are 2 things that the "empire" did - it "reached" and "from which deriving". This is incorrect, as the "script" did the "deriving" part.

C. with it the Aramaic script, from which derive both the northern and the - Hold on
D. with it the Aramaic script, from which derives both northern and - reverse the second half of this clause, it becomes "both northern and southern india alphabets" WERE (plural verb) derived. So coming back to the original sentence, "derives" which is singular is incorrect verb tense form.
E. with it the Aramaic script, and deriving from it both the northern and -

(1)There are multiple uses of "and" here, so let's see the final sentence in its entirety with this choice:

The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C., bringing with it the Aramaic script,
and deriving from it both the northern and the southern India alphabets.

Now, there are 2 things that the "empire" did - it "reached" and "deriving". This is incorrect, as the "script" did the "deriving" part.
(2) Also, the "it" in the "it the Aramaic script" refers to "empire", and the same use of "it" is present in "it both the northern". However, in the second half, "it" should not refer to the "empire", it should refer to the "scripts"

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Kudos [?]: 240 [8], given: 49

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2015, 01:57

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 09:28
Fistail wrote:

Nice question. GMAT prep is the resource.

A and B are out - if it is preceded by the script, It has two possible pronoun reference.
E out. Same as A and B

D - the verb derives has the subject 'both x and y' which is plural and not the 'script'. So D is out. SV error.

C solves this SV error and is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 12:14

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 309

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 02:32
Fistail wrote:

Got this one wrong because of the inverted word order of option C. Reading it in the following way makes sense:

Option C - The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth century B.C., bringing with it the Aramaic script, from which both the northern and the southern India derive alphabets.

Option A also makes sense as Northern and Southern India could have been modifying alphabets, however the preferred modifier should be northern and Southern Indian (IMO), finally the which seems to refer to "it" (Achaemenid empire) which is wrong.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 600

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 07:46
Is there really a difference between these two: "the Aramaic script with it" & "with it the Aramaic script" ?
I know you that you could have made a decision based on other factors, but I am still wondering, wether the first part plays a role.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 600

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 07:54
AK125 wrote:
Is there really a difference between these two: "the Aramaic script with it" & "with it the Aramaic script" ?
I know you that you could have made a decision based on other factors, but I am still wondering, wether the first part plays a role.

IMO the following modifier "which" modifies "it" in the first case and "Aramic script" in the second. Apart from this, to me nothing else rings a bell..

Re: The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2016, 07:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 66 posts ] 

The Achaemenid empire of Persia reached the Indus Valley in the fifth

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap