GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 09:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: help o clear doub sc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 00:18
E is a simple subject-verb issue. It should be each . . . dates.

In B, "have dated" doesn't make sense. Dating in this sense is not something they have actually done. It's just a way of describing how old they are. We'd say "This legend dates back to the 12th century," not "This legend has dated back to the 12th century." (This issue also rules out C, with "has dated.")

D is just not a sentence. It links a modifier to the main clause with "and," and that doesn't work.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 09:02
pqhai wrote:
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.

B. both of which have dated
Wrong. "which" should modifies the closest noun --> "which" modifies "communities", not "Acoma & Hopi" --> Wrong.

- of which - is a prepositional phrase and not a which clause. Therefore, which in this sentence is not modifying "communities". It is modifying "Both".

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

VP
VP
S
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2016, 01:06
I look at the word in a dictionary and see that
date back
means
have existed since.

so, this verb is used only in present time because its meaning is similar in meaning in present perfect. I think this verb is used only in present time. not in any time.

am i correct.

can this verb is used in the past tense. ?

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 05:02
sondenso wrote:
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.

(A) both dating
(B) both of which have dated
(C) and each has dated
(D) and each one dating
(E) each one of which date

From Ron (Manhattan Prep)

(c) and (d) are incorrect because of the word "and"; the sentence is not presenting two separate, independent facts, so "and" is inappropriate as a conjunction.

(b) and (c) are incorrect because of the tense used; "has dated" implies that this is not the case anymore. (this particular construction really only makes sense in the present tense -- or as an -ing modifier attached to a present-tense clause, since -ing modifiers adopt the tense of the clause to which they are attached.)

(e) has subject-verb disagreement ("each one of which" must be singular).

(d) uses complete sentence + comma + "and", a conjunction that should be followed by another independent clause. since "dating" isn't a verb, that second half is a fragment.

GMATNinja & GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain "VERBing - dating" in this problem? Why "dating" is placed after the pronoun "both"? What is being modified here?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 14:52
hazelnut wrote:
GMATNinja & GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain "VERBing - dating" in this problem? Why "dating" is placed after the pronoun "both"? What is being modified here?

The -ing modifier ("dating") modifies "communities" -- and the adverb "both" modifies "dating." In other words, both the Acoma community and the Hopi community date back at least a thousand years, and the word placement isn't a problem at all.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 23:36
Hi GMATNinja,

Can you please explain why the tense used is incorrect here? My understanding about present perfect tense is - An action that begins in the past and continues to the present. But in the explanation given above its mentioned that '"has dated" implies that this is not the case anymore (this particular construction really only makes sense in the present tense -- or as an -ing modifier attached to a present-tense clause, since -ing modifiers adopt the tense of the clause to which they are attached.)'.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 00:59
Imo A .
But not sure
Which in B is ambiguous .
The is one more doubt I have .
If in option D we remove one will it be correct then.?
Please explain .

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 07:42
hazelnut wrote:

Hello hazelnut,

Although your question has already been answered, I would like to present to you how at e-GMAT we treat the modifier both dating back at least a thousand years.

We call this modifier Noun + Noun Modifier in which both = Noun and dating back at least a thousand years = Noun Modifier. Well, technically both is a pronoun. But since it refers to a noun entity, it is used in the Noun + Noun Modifier structure in the place of Noun as we see in this official sentence.

A Noun + Noun Modifier can modify any noun in the preceding clause or even the entire preceding. The modification by this modifier depends upon the context of the sentence.

In this official sentence, the Noun + Noun Modifier both dating back at least a thousand years modifies the noun The Acoma and Hopi.

For all the details, explanations, and examples (official sentences included) pertaining to the Noun + Noun Modifiers, please review our article named Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-noun-modifiers-the-most-versatile-modifier-137292.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 07:57
Vyshak wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Can you please explain why the tense used is incorrect here? My understanding about present perfect tense is - An action that begins in the past and continues to the present. But in the explanation given above its mentioned that '"has dated" implies that this is not the case anymore (this particular construction really only makes sense in the present tense -- or as an -ing modifier attached to a present-tense clause, since -ing modifiers adopt the tense of the clause to which they are attached.)'.

Hello Vyshak,

I would like to help you resolve your doubt. :)

It is a general fact about the two communities mentioned in the official sentence above that these communities are at least a thousand years old, a fact that cannot be changed or will not remain true in the time to come. Hence, this fact must be written either in simple present tense verb or in the form of verb-ing modifier as we in this sentence.

When an event is written in present perfect tense, it denotes that the event may change in the future.

We say: Sun rises in the east because this fact is never going to change. If we say: Sun has risen in the east, the sentence will mean that in present the Sun is rising in the east. But in future it may not do so.

For this reason, usage of has dated back (present perfect tense) does not work in the context pf this official sentence.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 08:08
arvind910619 wrote:
Imo A .
But not sure
Which in B is ambiguous .
The is one more doubt I have .
If in option D we remove one will it be correct then.?
Please explain .

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hello arvind910619,

I would like to help you resolve your doubt. :)

Let's take a look at the sentence with Choice D inserted in it.

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, and each one dating back at least a thousand years.

Even if we remove one from the above mentioned sentence, it will stand incorrect because and is preceded by a comma. This means that we need an independent clause after comma + and. But there is no verb for the subject each as dating cannot act as verb as it is not preceded by any helping verb such is/was etc. Hence, this choice is incorrect.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 09:21
sondenso wrote:

(A) both dating
(B) both of which have dated
(C) and each has dated
(D) and each one dating
(E) each one of which date

A) both dating = both of which dates

B) "both of which dates" would be correct.

C & D) "and each dates" would be correct.

E) "each one of which dates" would be correct.

Seize the day.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 23:21
Vyshak wrote:
Can you please explain why the tense used is incorrect here?

Hi Vyshak, the issue is not as much of tense as of voice.

B says that both communities have dated. This is active voice.

This is incorrect because the communities cannot date themselves; clearly, someone else has dated them.

So, the correct usage would be the one using passive voice: both of which have been dated

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 23:28
Option A sound right but option C is also looking somewhat similar.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 01:56
EducationAisle wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
Can you please explain why the tense used is incorrect here?

Hi Vyshak, the issue is not as much of tense as of voice.

B says that both communities have dated. This is active voice.

This is incorrect because the communities cannot date themselves; clearly, someone else has dated them.

So, the correct usage would be the one using passive voice: both of which have been dated

I disagree.

date back to can be used both actively and passively.

An example from Collins:

The brooch dates back to the fourth century BC.

Seize the day.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 03:28
tireks wrote:
date back to can be used both actively and passively.

An example from Collins:

The brooch dates back to the fourth century BC.

Hi tireks, this is not the same usage. The sentence under consideration uses dated at. Hence, we should be looking at the usages of dated (as a past participle) and not dates (as a verb).

Also, if you could cite an official example, that might be more useful.

Thanks,
Ashish

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 23:37
GMATNinja wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

The -ing modifier ("dating") modifies "communities" -- and the adverb "both" modifies "dating." In other words, both the Acoma community and the Hopi community date back at least a thousand years, and the word placement isn't a problem at all.

Hi GMATNinja,

As per your explanation "both" is an adverb modifying dating. And we know that COMMA + -ING modifier always modifies the entire previous clause. But I am not able to understand how "dating... " can modify the previous clause. I see no relation of -ING modifier to the verb of the previous clause. Can you please explain? Thanks a ton!!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 17:56
Quote:
And we know that COMMA + -ING modifier always modifies the entire previous clause.

Not always. "-ing" modifiers can modify an entire clause... or just a noun (see the explanation by egmat above). We could argue that "dating" modifies the Acoma and Hopi, or that it modifies "communities" -- but the difference between those two isn't terribly important, because those two are the same in this sentence, anyway.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 19:01
Thanks a lot GMATNinja :-D

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 10:01
yt770 wrote:
As per your explanation "both" is an adverb modifying dating. And we know that COMMA + -ING modifier always modifies the entire previous clause. But I am not able to understand how "dating... " can modify the previous clause. I see no relation of -ING modifier to the verb of the previous clause. Can you please explain? Thanks a ton!!

Hi yt770, there is correlation between the participial phrase (both dating back...) and the previous clause.

The clause states that the Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities; subsequently, the participial phrase elaborates to what extent these communities are old: both date back at least a thousand years.

On the other hand, had the sentence been (say):

The Acoma and Hopi considered children born into the mother's clan, both dating back at least a thousand years.

In this sentence, there is indeed no correlation between the clause and the participial phrase. Hence, use of participial phrase would be incorrect here.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these issues with participial phrases, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish

Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jun 2017, 10:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 45 posts ] 

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap