It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1443 [2], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2009, 03:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:23) correct 34% (00:38) wrong based on 968 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.

(A) both dating
(B) both of which have dated
(C) and each has dated
(D) and each one dating
(E) each one of which date
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Last edited by hazelnut on 28 May 2017, 02:17, edited 2 times in total.
OA added

Kudos [?]: 1443 [2], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [2], given: 11

Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2009, 05:43
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.
A. both dating
B. both of which have dated
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating
E. each one of which date

Guys, I found the problem in meaning of the OA. OFFcourse 4 remainings problematic too. Need more reasonings on why OA is the OA? :-D

Option E and D have redundancy problem - Use of 'one' and 'each'

Option B is wordy and awkward 'both of which'

Now between A and C, A looks perfect as it uses correct parallel construction 'surviving' and 'dating'

So the best option is A.

what is the OA?

Kudos [?]: 73 [2], given: 11

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 234 [2], given: 4

Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2009, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="hasham222"][quote="sondenso"]The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.
A. both dating
B. both of which have dated Wordy
C. and each has dated Wrong Tense
D. and each one dating Redundancy
E. each one of which date Awkward

In C\D\E the reference of "each"or"which" is not clear

OA should be A

Kudos [?]: 234 [2], given: 4

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 368 [3], given: 15

Schools: Fuqua

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2009, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here is my take.

Always use BOTH when pointing out similarities and use EACH when pointing out differences.

In the original question, The Acoma and Hopi are dating back at least a thousand years(Trying to explain the similarities.) Hence BOTH should be the pick.

Obviously, from A and B, B is wordy. So the answer must be A.

Kudos [?]: 368 [3], given: 15

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2009, 21:14
I'm not saying that EVERYTHING in the NYTimes is gramatically correct, but probably 99.999999% of it is.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=990DE4D9113DEE32A25751C2A96E9C946397D6CF

nytimes wrote:
In the double-header which was played to-day by the New York and Pittsburg baseball teams each won and lost a game.

This addresses a few of the previous posts. One post says that when something is the same, we should use "both" which is not true and this sentence is an example. As "style" goes when writing, it might be a better "style", but it is not incorrect to use "each" when describing something that is the same. With this sentence, the two baseball teams are similar in the games won.

I must modify the example somewhat to show my second point, in that when the subect is compound, the decision of whether to use "each" or to use "both" depends upon how the subject is used.

If you have "Miami and Los Angeles will play in the NBA Finals, both of which have already won at least one NBA title." This sentence is correct, while so is this one:

"Miami and Los Angeles will play in the NBA Finals; each has already won at least one NBA title."

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 32

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2009, 22:09
jallenmorris wrote:
I'm not saying that EVERYTHING in the NYTimes is gramatically correct, but probably 99.999999% of it is.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=990DE4D9113DEE32A25751C2A96E9C946397D6CF

nytimes wrote:
In the double-header which was played to-day by the New York and Pittsburg baseball teams each won and lost a game.

This addresses a few of the previous posts. One post says that when something is the same, we should use "both" which is not true and this sentence is an example. As "style" goes when writing, it might be a better "style", but it is not incorrect to use "each" when describing something that is the same. With this sentence, the two baseball teams are similar in the games won.

I must modify the example somewhat to show my second point, in that when the subect is compound, the decision of whether to use "each" or to use "both" depends upon how the subject is used.

If you have "Miami and Los Angeles will play in the NBA Finals, both of which have already won at least one NBA title." This sentence is correct, while so is this one:

"Miami and Los Angeles will play in the NBA Finals; each has already won at least one NBA title."

One uses independent clause while first one uses subordinate clause. If you look closely then it will match the first one ie with subordinate clause.

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 35

Re: Pueblo Communities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2010, 12:48
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/the ... t9670.html

This should help eliminate the choices.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 35

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8185 [3], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2010, 19:29
This post received
KUDOS
A for using the right participle -dating -; B and C are out because of using
the perfect tense indicating that the dating back is about to end. The second part of D is a fragment while E has S-V disagreement

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8185 [3], given: 364

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 65

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2010, 22:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A

A. both dating
Use of present participle followed by both is correct.

Present perfect suggests that these communities no longer exist

C. and each has dated
Coordinating conjunction introduces a separate idea rather than modify the communities.
Present perfect suggests that these communities no longer exist

D. and each one dating
Coordinating conjunction introduces a separate idea rather than modify the communities.
A complete clause must be followed by a coordinating conjunction and

Subject 'each one of which' is singular.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 65

13 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8185 [13], given: 364

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2010, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am afraid lots of misconceptions are going round in regard to this text. First of all, ‘each one’ is not redundant. Each can be used both as a noun (when you say just each) and as an adjective when it modifies another noun as in each person, or each one etc. But D is wrong because of the intruding conjunction ‘and’ followed by a participial phrase rather than a full-fledged clause with an action verb. E is wrong because of S-V number disagreement – ‘each one’ of which ‘date’ - the verb should be ‘dates’ to match the singular subject each one
B a C are grammatically wrong because, both are using wrong tense of present perfect – ‘have dated’ and ‘has dated’, meaning that the dating has ended and is no more relevant.

A is the perfect choice with the use of the present participle phrase just modifying – both – and has no unnecessary conjunction.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8185 [13], given: 364

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1124 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 14:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A. both dating
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating

My doubts:
1) I know that C and D are wrong in part because we need a modiphiyng phrase and not a parallel clause. However, how can be sure that an idea must be subordinated or kept independent from the main clause? For instance, if choice C were "and each is dating", would it be incorrect?
2) I read in other post that B is wrong not only because is wordy but because the tense is wrong. Because the action has concluded in the present and it is not going on. Is it right?, could someone provide a detailed explanation about it?
Thank you!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Kudos [?]: 1124 [0], given: 109

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 3

Re: Acoma and Hopi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2012, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
Answer should be "A" beacuse:

c,d,e:...has "each" which refers to the communities and hence it refers to all the members rather than just two mentoned.

b is wordy and hence eliminated.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 3

8 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8185 [8], given: 364

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2012, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
What is a main factor and what is a subordinate factor? In the given case, the text wants to establish that the two sites are examples of the oldest communities; in proof of that, it gives the dating data. Therefore, the data are additional facts and supportive ideas to the main theme of oldness. Putting them on equal footing with the main clause using a co-ordinate conjunction namely ‘and’ will end up in alteration of intent. Hence, C and D are wrong. Even if C were to be amended grammatically as has been stated by metallicafan, it would not make an ideal choice as far as meaning is concerned.

B is wrong because, when you use the present perfect, you are trying to imply that both are doing the dating themselves and that the effect of dating is no more. The effect of dating namely that they are part of the oldest communities is going to be there forever and a universal fact. Therefore, we need to use a simple present tense to express such a feeling.

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8185 [8], given: 364

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2012, 16:13
metallicafan wrote:
A. both dating
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating

My doubts:
1) I know that C and D are wrong in part because we need a modiphiyng phrase and not a parallel clause. However, how can be sure that an idea must be subordinated or kept independent from the main clause? For instance, if choice C were "and each is dating", would it be incorrect?
2) I read in other post that B is wrong not only because is wordy but because the tense is wrong. Because the action has concluded in the present and it is not going on. Is it right?, could someone provide a detailed explanation about it?
Thank you!

hi metallicafan, in response to your doubts

1. "and each is dating" would still be wrong because each in this sentence is a vague pronoun reference. the subject here is a compound one and plural (Acoma and Hopi). Also 'is' would then be wrong as it has to be 'are'
2. i feel that the correct explanation for B was that the tense (have dated) doesnt fit in this sentence with the other one (surviving). Surviving is a present progressive tense (-ing form) which denotes an action in the present. Have dated is present perfect which denotes an action that happened in the past and still happening. since tenses need to be consistent for meaning, surviving and dating are the right tenses.

kudos if you like my answer!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2012, 02:41
IMO A
C,D are wrong - "and" joins 2 Independent Clauses but we need a Dependent Clause
B uses incorrect plural verb "date"
E uses incorrect present perfect tense

Last edited by vikram4689 on 07 May 2012, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 20

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1704 [1], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
Though the answer has been given, I just want to share my part of discussion. Before advancing, many thanks to metallicafan for the question.
My take:
Always remember, there are two requirements of COMMA + ING construction:
a) it should be adverbial, modifying the entire previous clause
b) it should be attributed to the subject of the previous clause.

The options C and D neither explain the preceding clause nor become a consequential effect.
Same goes for e as well.
Now when we move to B, here we see a change of tense which is nog required at all, in fact is incorrect.
Hence A.

Please give me kudos, if you liked the post.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1704 [1], given: 62

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3553 [2], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2013, 13:56
This post received
KUDOS

A. both dating
Correct. Verb-ing modifier + comma --> modifies a preceding clause.==> "dating" is verb-ing modifier that provides more information for the preceding clause (why Acoma & Hopi are the oldest surviving Pueblo communities).

Wrong. "which" should modifies the closest noun --> "which" modifies "communities", not "Acoma & Hopi" --> Wrong.

C. and each has dated
Wrong. "each" of communities or "each" of "Acoma & Hopi"??? --> Very obscure.

D. and each one dating
Wrong. Same error as in C. "each" of communities or "each" of "Acoma & Hopi"??? --> Very obscure.

Wrong. Same error as in B. "which" should modifies the closest noun --> "which" modifies "communities", not "Acoma & Hopi" --> Wrong.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3553 [2], given: 123

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 12:44
1) Verbs: The key to this SC is in noting that the Acoma and Hopi ARE probably the two oldest surviving communities….RIGHT NOW. Thus, we need a verb that reflects that fact (it can't be past tense). Eliminate B and C.

2) Style: Redundancy is considered "bad style" on the GMAT. For example, the phrase "combined together" is redundant because both of those words mean the same thing - so you don't need both. Here, the phrase "each one" is redundant. Eliminate D and E.

Final Answer: A

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
help o clear doub sc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 19:38
1. The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating
back at least a thousand years.

A. both dating
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating

ans = a Wh no b & e ??

Last edited by aimkp on 25 Oct 2015, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8185 [1], given: 364

Re: help o clear doub sc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
aimkp

Will u kindly underline the relevant part?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8185 [1], given: 364

Re: help o clear doub sc   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2015, 23:07

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 40 posts ] 

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap