Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63653 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
yt770 wrote:
As per your explanation "both" is an adverb modifying dating. And we know that COMMA + -ING modifier always modifies the entire previous clause. But I am not able to understand how "dating... " can modify the previous clause. I see no relation of -ING modifier to the verb of the previous clause. Can you please explain? Thanks a ton!!

Hi yt770, there is correlation between the participial phrase (both dating back...) and the previous clause.

The clause states that the Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities; subsequently, the participial phrase elaborates to what extent these communities are old: both date back at least a thousand years.

On the other hand, had the sentence been (say):

The Acoma and Hopi considered children born into the mother's clan, both dating back at least a thousand years.

In this sentence, there is indeed no correlation between the clause and the participial phrase. Hence, use of participial phrase would be incorrect here.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these issues with participial phrases, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun [#permalink]
Top Contributor
sondenso wrote:
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.

(A) both dating

(B) both of which have dated

(C) and each has dated

(D) and each one dating

(E) each one of which date

This question is based on Modifiers and Construction.

In Option B, the present perfect tense “have dated” is incorrect because there is no connection established between the past and the present in the sentence. The present perfect tense indicates that till the present, the communities have dated back at least a thousand years but this fact may change in the future. The meaning thus conveyed is illogical. So, Option B can be eliminated.

In Option C also, the present perfect tense is inappropriate. Furthermore, the conjunction ‘and’ in Option C implies that dating back is an action done by the two communities. Since this meaning is illogical, Option C can also be eliminated.

Option D is incomplete. The conjunction ‘and’ should be followed by a clause as the coordinating conjunction joins a clause to a clause and a phrase to a phrase. So, Option D can also be eliminated.

In Option E, the plural verb ‘date’ does not agree with the singular subject ‘each’. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

The participle ‘dating’ describes how the communities are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities. The use of the modifier in Option A avoids the errors in the other options. Therefore, A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Schools: IESE '24
Send PM
@egmat,@gmat ninja. There are many answers saying the present perfect tense cannot be used in option C. Can you guys please explain
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63653 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sai22 wrote:
@egmat,@gmat ninja. There are many answers saying the present perfect tense cannot be used in option C. Can you guys please explain

The issue is more with the logic than with the grammar.

I could write, "The ancient scroll has been dated at x," because it's not unreasonable for a scroll to have been studied in the past and to continue to be studied into the present. So the present perfect isn't really a problem.

But if I begin a sentence with "The ancient scroll has dated..." I'm making sound as though this ancient scroll was either assessing the date of another scroll or going on dates with other scrolls! An interesting idea for a wacky cartoon, but not a terribly logical sentence on the GMAT.

Same deal here: (C) kind of makes it sound as though the communities are going on dates. Kinda sexy, but also kinda nonsense. :D

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts