GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 06:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 21:54
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
And we know that COMMA + -ING modifier always modifies the entire previous clause.

Not always. "-ing" modifiers can modify an entire clause... or just a noun (see the explanation by egmat above). We could argue that "dating" modifies the Acoma and Hopi, or that it modifies "communities" -- but the difference between those two isn't terribly important, because those two are the same in this sentence, anyway.

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja,
I understood why option A is correct.
I am having trouble to eliminate option B.
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both of which have dated back at least a thousand years.

In one of the explanation in the forum regarding why B is wrong is as follows-
In B, "have dated" doesn't make sense. Dating in this sense is not something they have actually done. It's just a way of describing how old they are. We'd say "This legend dates back to the 12th century," not "This legend has dated back to the 12th century." (This issue also rules out C, with "has dated.")

Then, in a correct OA in Gmatprep,
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.
Here, the dating also, not something the fossils do.

In another explanation,
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.

It is a general fact about the two communities mentioned in the official sentence above that these communities are at least a thousand years old, a fact that cannot be changed or will not remain true in the time to come. Hence, this fact must be written either in simple present tense verb or in the form of verb-ing modifier as we in this sentence.

When an event is written in present perfect tense, it denotes that the event may change in the future.
We say: Sun rises in the east because this fact is never going to change. If we say: Sun has risen in the east, the sentence will mean that in present the Sun is rising in the east. But in future it may not do so.

But the use of present perfect is something that started in the past and its effect is there till present. How can we say that the effect wont be in the future?
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 21:56
EducationAisle wrote:
yt770 wrote:
As per your explanation "both" is an adverb modifying dating. And we know that COMMA + -ING modifier always modifies the entire previous clause. But I am not able to understand how "dating... " can modify the previous clause. I see no relation of -ING modifier to the verb of the previous clause. Can you please explain? Thanks a ton!!

Hi yt770, there is correlation between the participial phrase (both dating back...) and the previous clause.

The clause states that the Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities; subsequently, the participial phrase elaborates to what extent these communities are old: both date back at least a thousand years.

On the other hand, had the sentence been (say):

The Acoma and Hopi considered children born into the mother's clan, both dating back at least a thousand years.

In this sentence, there is indeed no correlation between the clause and the participial phrase. Hence, use of participial phrase would be incorrect here.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these issues with participial phrases, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Hi, can you kindly explain why B is wrong?
which correctly modifies communities. Present perfect means something happened in the past and is still ongoing.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 22:59
DmitryFarber wrote:
E is a simple subject-verb issue. It should be each . . . dates.

In B, "have dated" doesn't make sense. Dating in this sense is not something they have actually done. It's just a way of describing how old they are. We'd say "This legend dates back to the 12th century," not "This legend has dated back to the 12th century." (This issue also rules out C, with "has dated.")

D is just not a sentence. It links a modifier to the main clause with "and," and that doesn't work.

Hi,
in a correct OA in Gmatprep,
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 03:00
sunny91 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
And we know that COMMA + -ING modifier always modifies the entire previous clause.

Not always. "-ing" modifiers can modify an entire clause... or just a noun (see the explanation by egmat above). We could argue that "dating" modifies the Acoma and Hopi, or that it modifies "communities" -- but the difference between those two isn't terribly important, because those two are the same in this sentence, anyway.

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja,
I understood why option A is correct.
I am having trouble to eliminate option B.
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both of which have dated back at least a thousand years.

In one of the explanation in the forum regarding why B is wrong is as follows-

Then, in a correct OA in Gmatprep,

In another explanation,
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.

It is a general fact about the two communities mentioned in the official sentence above that these communities are at least a thousand years old, a fact that cannot be changed or will not remain true in the time to come. Hence, this fact must be written either in simple present tense verb or in the form of verb-ing modifier as we in this sentence.

When an event is written in present perfect tense, it denotes that the event may change in the future.
We say: Sun rises in the east because this fact is never going to change. If we say: Sun has risen in the east, the sentence will mean that in present the Sun is rising in the east. But in future it may not do so.

But the use of present perfect is something that started in the past and its effect is there till present. How can we say that the effect wont be in the future?

Ron's(MGMAT) explanations- https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 70-15.html

Yeah, the usage of those tenses is different for these 2 different kinds of verbs:
1/ Actions that happen at a specific point in time
2/ Actions that represent states (= that last for a certain duration)

If you imagine a timeline as a literal graph, then #1 represents actions that would be points or dots on that number line, while #2 represents states that would be linear portions on that number line.

#1: E.g., Scott graduated from high school.
This is not an ongoing state. It's something that happens at one exact moment (the moment of graduation).

#2: E.g., Scott was married (for ten years).
Ongoing for a duration of 10 years.

See below for how you use "has/have VERBed" with these.

Type 1/
If it's a point thing, then "has/have VERBed" means ...
... it happened,
... it's somehow relevant to the present.

E.g.,
People who have graduated from high school usually find employment much more easily than people who have not.
They've graduated (at any time). We don't know when"”maybe yesterday, maybe 40 years ago.
Regardless, it's relevant to the present; we're talking about their job prospects at present.

These are past events, seen through the lens of the present.
They are not 'continuing up to the present', because these verbs represent things that CANNOT 'continue'. they happen at one exact point in time, and ... that's it.

Type 2/
If it's an ongoing state verb, then "has/have VERBed" without an explicit time period means ...
... it's happened before,
... it's not happening now.

E.g.,
I have lived in Florida.
This implies that I no longer live in Florida. If I still live there now, I'll write I live in Florida.

----- BUT -----

If, for this kind of verb, "has/have VERBed" is used with a time duration, then ...
... it has happened for that duration up to now;
... it may still be happening, or it may just have ended.

E.g.,
I have lived in Florida for twenty years. (written in 2014)
This means I've lived in Florida for the last twenty years (= 1994-2014).
I might still live there.
I may be moving right now.

Dating objects (= evaluating their age) is a point action, like graduating from high school.
So, "have been dated" means that it happened sometime"”any time"”and that it's relevant to the present. Exactly what's necessary here.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 06:50
COMMA + -ING modifier - gives additional about the previous clause. So, A is correct.

Please press +1 Kudos if you find my post/reply helpful

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 05:39
A. both dating
B. both of which have dated
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating
E. each one of which date

I was down to 2: A and C; I have selected C which is wrong.

Whats wrong with C?

If we replace the Underlined part with answer choice It will be Grammatically correct : {Two independent clauses and each is referring to Acoma and Hopi }

Is it Only a meaning error??

If you want to Thank me Give me a KUDOS
"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

Intern
Intern
B
Status: All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them
Concentration: Technology, Finance
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 09:57
SonGoku wrote:
A. both dating
B. both of which have dated
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating
E. each one of which date

I was down to 2: A and C; I have selected C which is wrong.

Whats wrong with C?

If we replace the Underlined part with answer choice It will be Grammatically correct : {Two independent clauses and each is referring to Acoma and Hopi }

Is it Only a meaning error??

Hi mate,

Try to understand the wonderful explanation(read below) provided in earlier post by MGMAT instructor:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 12:50
sondenso wrote:

(A) both dating
(B) both of which have dated
(C) and each has dated
(D) and each one dating
(E) each one of which date

The Oxford History of the American West Reprint Edition
by Clyde A. Milner (Editor), Carol A. O'Connor (Editor), Martha A. Sandweiss (Editor)

The Oxford History of the American West - Page 16

https://books.google.com.my/books?id=GkUUAAAAYAAJ
Clyde A. Milner, ‎Carol A. O'Connor, ‎Martha A. Sandweiss - 1994 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions

Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving communities, both dating back at least a thousand years; some scholars contend that the Hopi area has been occupied for several thousand years. In the centuries before the Spaniards ...

Use of perfect tense is incorrect. Hence, B and C can go.
"Each one" is redundant. Hence, D and E can go.
A, though awkward, is the best choice here.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo &nbs [#permalink] 03 Nov 2018, 12:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap