Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [9]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [3]
Given Kudos: 435
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
The American Congress passed the Neutrality Acts during the mid-to-lat [#permalink]
Kudos
Man, verbs are my weakness but I give it a try :)

A. due to World War I, which took such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid dragging
We can exclude the two choices starting with due. If we substitute "due" with "caused by" we get:
"The American Congress passed the Neutrality Acts during the mid-to-late 1930s caused by World War I" and it is not correct because the Neutrality Acts were not caused by the World War I, but they were consequences of WWI, so because is the correct start. Honestly, I do not remember the theory about what exactly because and due can and cannot modify, but I'm pretty sure to be right ruling out these 2 options.

B. due to World War I that has taken such a toll on the country that the government would desperately want to avoid being dragged
Look up.

C. because World War I, which was taking such a toll on the country that the government desperately would want to avoid being dragged
Wrong, it talks about a treaty passed during the mid '30, so WWI was ended by years. "was taking" expresses contemporaneity, so it is surely wrong.

D. because of World War I had taken such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid dragging
the construction "had taken" almost dragged me in a mistake. Yeah, there is a sequence of events, but IMO WWI is not correlated to the passaging of the Neutrality Acts; moreover, "wanted to avoid dragging" makes no sense: it should be "to avoid to be dragged"(but it is wordy) or "to avoid being dragged"

E. because World War I took such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid being dragged
I'm not 100% sure on the point made in choice D about the uncorrelation of the two events, but I would choose this.

E is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 645
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The American Congress passed the Neutrality Acts during the mid-to-lat [#permalink]
Kudos
The correct Option Must use Past tense to convey the toll country suffered from World war 1 (that already happened in past).

So ,Options B and C are eliminated.

Option D incorrectly uses term because of World war 1 had taken,instead it should have been because of World war 1 that had taken...

The correct usage must be- avoid being dragged not avoid dragging (present continues),so the option A is elimit and optionbE is correct.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
The American Congress passed the Neutrality Acts during the mid-to-lat [#permalink]
Kudos
aragonn wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 73: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The American Congress passed the Neutrality Acts during the mid-to-late 1930s due to World War I, which took such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid dragging into another war.

A. due to World War I, which took such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid dragging

B. due to World War I that has taken such a toll on the country that the government would desperately want to avoid being dragged

C. because World War I, which was taking such a toll on the country that the government desperately would want to avoid being dragged

D. because of World War I had taken such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid dragging

E. because World War I took such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid being dragged

Since this an event which happened in the past, we wont be using the present continuous tense.
Eliminate A, C and D.

Remaining are B and E
Now a rule was passed because of some reason, not due to the war.(removed this by this logic)

Correct Answer
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: The American Congress passed the Neutrality Acts during the mid-to-lat [#permalink]
aragonn wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 73: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The American Congress passed the Neutrality Acts during the mid-to-late 1930s due to World War I, which took such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid dragging into another war.

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Official Explanation:

The government wanted to avoid dragging who/what? (A) is eliminated.
(B) and C) are eliminated for not using past tense – has, would want.
(D) The construct of “because of” followed by “had taken” is grammatically incorrect.

This leaves us with (E) as the only possible answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM

Reasoning is for a verb(passed) but not for a noun. So, we Need because instead of due to

Reasoning is for a verb(passed) but not for a noun. So, we Need because instead of due to

Because takes clause but not just noun.

Because of takes noun but not clause.

Because has clause in this option. So this one is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM

A. due to World War I, which took such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid dragging--> wrong: The AC passed the NA due to WW-I; right: The passage of the NA by AC is due to WW-I

B. due to World War I that has taken such a toll on the country that the government would desperately want to avoid being dragged--> same as A

C. because World War I, which was taking such a toll on the country that the government desperately would want to avoid being dragged --> main verb is missing after because

D. because of World War I had taken such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid dragging --> "because of" only takes noun after it, "because of + subject + verb" is wrong

E. because World War I took such a toll on the country that the government desperately wanted to avoid being dragged --> correct
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts