Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [20]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3947 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Within the past six months, women have, for the first time, become the [#permalink]
Kudos
Really good one, little tricky....
+1 B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Within the past six months, women have, for the first time, become the [#permalink]
This question is deceivingly difficult.

I'd have to go with B
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great breakdown, mailnavin1! I think you nailed it. The correct answer here is B - as in all Inference questions, the correct answer is something that MUST BE TRUE based on the stimulus.

C is tricky, but not necessarily true. The only information we have is based specifically on percentages/proportions - we don't know about the total number. It could very well be that in this current recession many people have taken themselves out of the workforce, so there are fewer people overall in that pool, but women simply account for a larger percentage. Because we don't know anything about actual numbers - just percentages - we can't draw this conclusion even though it's pretty likely.

B is much more readily proven - we know that women comprise more than 50% of the population but have always been outnumbered by men, so they are that "at least one group" that has been underrepresented.

Great point, metallican - "workforce" does account for all potential workers (including those looking for jobs), and I can't say for certain whether the author of this question intended specifically to use that term or whether he wanted to talk about the current number employed. I don't think the distinction matters for this question, though - the correct answer uses a fairly vague "in employment", so the presence of women in the workforce does point toward that, and the rest of the passage still flows (it may well be that the manufacturing employees who have lost their jobs have taken themselves out of the workforce...those extended unemployment benefits sound like a pretty sweet deal to me right now, slaving away behind a desk!).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
actually by poe i reached B, though i did not understand what B precisely meant. 'at least one group' was a bit unclear. but rest of the options could be logically eliminated , so B
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q14 V36
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 610 Q36 V38
GMAT 4: 570 Q29 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE:Account Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I agree, I didn't understand what "at least one group" meant. To me this also seemed very opinionated in its representation, like when you have a question about the environment and the answer choices include the polar opposite political archetype responses (like "global warming is a hoax" or "oil industry is the sole cause of global warming"). I narrowed down the choices to B and C, but chose C because of the above thought process. I know its not a hard and fast rule but given the time constraints and processing of vague information thats the conclusion I reached here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1962
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
someone kindly explain why C is wrong i am not able to find the reason.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="shubham2312"]someone kindly explain why C is wrong i am not able to find the reason.[/quote

Example in employment:

Say CURRENTLY:
900women/700men

But PREVIOUSLY: 1000womem/1500men:

Although more women THAN men now, we CANNOT say:

The No of women now is greater than ever before

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts