It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7908 [3], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2011, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
On this topic, interestingly, I found four different transcriptions of the original test, essentially in the portion that is underlined, in as many different forums for a question that is from GPREP. Which one should we follow?

1 Urch version

The Anasazi settlements of Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scare with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each were connected by a complex regional system of roads. (note tht there is no comma after each)

2. Beat the GMAT version

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads. (note the comma after each)

3 Gmatclub version

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads.

4. Manhattan version

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7908 [3], given: 364

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2012, 19:41
Guys in my book, it has the following form; notice that there is a comma after scale in the original question. And that's what confuses me. If there was no comma, the answer is easily B though.

Any comment?

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale, with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads.

A. scale,with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were
B. scale, with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each,
C. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each that had been
D. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms and with each
E. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each had been

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2012, 18:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
1. The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads.
A. with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were
B. with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each,
C. of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each that had been
D. of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms and with each
E. of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms each had been

can someone explain the answer?

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Re: the Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2012, 22:50
straightway B..................!!!!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 31

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2012, 02:23
1. The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads.
A. with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were
C. of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each that had been
D. of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms and with each
E. of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms each had been

I did not get the answer.Please help

Last edited by monikaleoster on 13 Jul 2012, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 5

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: Explaination-Collection of GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2012, 02:32
Good question to brush up but you are requested to underline the sentence to be corrected as it will be easier to eliminate the ACs.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 53 [1], given: 15

GMAT Date: 08-30-2012
Re: Explaination-Collection of GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2012, 04:36
This post received
KUDOS
A. with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were (No subject of Were) : wrong
B. with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, : Correct ( Were has been omiitted ."connected by a complex regional system of roads " correctly modify the "600 rooms each"
C. of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each that had been ( No two past events here occurring in diiferent time frame in past and starting with "of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms" changes the intended meaning n makes it ambiguous) :wrongD. of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms and with each ( same error discussed in C and and "Conjunction "And" changes the intended meaning of original sentence.) WrongE. of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms each had been : Wrong (Error discussed in "C" )

KUMAR GAURAB
GET MAD ABOUT TEST

Kudos [?]: 53 [1], given: 15

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1105 [2], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2012, 03:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

- In C and D, which noun is being modified by 'each'?, why?

Also, according to other forum:
- In C, we cannot say "each that had..." (can't follow 'each' with a relative pronoun - if we're going to use a relative pronoun, it has to come directly after the thing it's trying to modify). My question: I don't understand this. Does it mean that a relative pronoun can be only after the NOUN and not after another pronoun such as 'he', 'each', etc?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1105 [2], given: 109

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
Re: The Anasazi settlements [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2012, 15:26
metallicafan wrote:

- In C and D, which noun is being modified by 'each'?, why?

Also, according to other forum:
- In C, we cannot say "each that had..." (can't follow 'each' with a relative pronoun - if we're going to use a relative pronoun, it has to come directly after the thing it's trying to modify). My question: I don't understand this. Does it mean that a relative pronoun can be only after the NOUN and not after another pronoun such as 'he', 'each', etc?

I picked B because I think "with more than..." is more idiomatically correct. Then I looked at "were" and thought it was unnecessary.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1227 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2012, 16:45
In (C), 'each' is referring to the '600 rooms.' In (D) the 'each' seems ambiguous.

In the correct answer (B), 'each' is clearly referring to the 'structures'.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 1227 [0], given: 2

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2012, 11:35
ChrisLele wrote:
In (C), 'each' is referring to the '600 rooms.' In (D) the 'each' seems ambiguous.

In the correct answer (B), 'each' is clearly referring to the 'structures'.

Hope that helps!

Yes, in (C) each refers to the nearest noun after comma, and that is "room"

In (B) "each" is reversed to the end to follow the fluent structure.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida

Kudos [?]: 989 [1], given: 630

Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2013, 23:06
This post received
KUDOS

Kudos [?]: 989 [1], given: 630

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2013, 05:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2013, 17:26
avohden wrote:

Ya It ain't difficult. Don't spend your energy on it. But thanks for the links
Cheers!
J :)

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 19:17
The Anasazi settlements at Chaco canyon were built on a spectacular scale, with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were connected by a complex regional system of roads.

a) scale, with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were
b) scale, with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each,
c) scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each that had been
d) scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms and with each
e) scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each had been

Please +1 KUDOS if my post helps. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 87

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 21:56
IMO B.

A. 'were' is not required.
B. sounds fine; 'with more than 75 carefully engineered structures connected by a complex system of roads' is the modifier. The phrase 'of upto 600 rooms each' is a prepositional phrase adding more information about the noun 'structures'.
C/E. perfect tense is not required
D. It is not clear what 'each' refers to - rooms or structures?

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 87

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [1], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 262 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8444 [9], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Baten80 wrote:

A. scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, were
B. scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each,
C. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms, each that had been
D. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms and with each
E. scale of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms each had been

Why "were" is not required for B as the correct answer?

honchos wrote:
Sir,
In this sentence I still couldn't grasp why 2nd were is wrong? Please Help!
Thanks!

Dear honchos
I'm happy to respond to your p.m. :-)

If we include the second "were", then "were connected" would be a full verb, a complete past tense verb. There's already one verb, "were built," so this would be a second full verb. Presumably, the two verbs would have the same subject, so they would have to be in parallel. That's fine, but to have two verbs in parallel, we would absolutely need a conjunction, such as "and."
...scale with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each, and were ...
That would be correct. Without the "and", the parallelism doesn't work.

If we remove the second "were," then the full verb "were connected" becomes simply the participle "connected," a noun modifier that can follow a string of other modifiers.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8444 [9], given: 102

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 02:45
I assume that the modifier is modyfying the noun 'structures' ?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Schools: IIMA
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 03:55
As per my understanding use of scale of incorrect here for construction, we normally use scale of 'on the scale of 10-20'

so we can directly eliminate c,d and e :)

A is out as it is trying to connect two clause 'and' is required , So B is correct!! :)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2014, 03:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 73 posts ] 

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap