Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [9]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 1962
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Re: The ancient Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten, who had a profound [#permalink]
Kudos
broall wrote:
The ancient Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten, who had a profound effect during his lifetime on Egyptian art and religion, was well loved and highly respected by his subjects. We know this from the fierce loyalty show to him by his palace guards, as documented in reports written during Akhenaten‟s reign.

A questionable technique used in the argument is to:

(A) Introduce information that actually contradicts the conclusion
(B) Rely on evidence that in principle would be impossible to challenge
(C) Make a generalization based on a sample that is likely to be unrepresentative
(D) Depend on the ambiguity of the term “ancient”
(E) Apply present-day standards in an inappropriate way to ancient times

someone kindly explain why B cant be the answer of this question.

Although i was able to answer the question correctly but i feel B is also correct because we can not challenge what is written in the documents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Please help to eliminate choice B.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AnirudhaS wrote:
Please help to eliminate choice B.

Pankaj1Agarwal wrote:
how to eliminate B?

shubham2312 wrote:
someone kindly explain why B cant be the answer of this question.

Although i was able to answer the question correctly but i feel B is also correct because we can not challenge what is written in the documents

Hello, everyone. I see several questions about (B), so I thought I would offer my thoughts on how to eliminate it. Perhaps my recollection of an art history class helped me out on this one. Specifically, I recall that Akhenaten came along and told everyone to abandon the old gods, the ones they had been worshipping for generations, and to worship the new god (a sun god, I believe), Aten, instead, who, naturally, was the divine father of Akhenaten. He changed the art of the time, which before had been broken down in grid-like fashion to fit a specific proportion for each specific angle (profile or directly facing the viewer); instead, he looked rather human. He was even portrayed as having a belly and playing with his children. (See this image.) The Egyptians in the court were not happy with all these radical changes, but what could they do? Akhenaten was the pharaoh. To make a long story short, Akhenaten was killed before too long, and so hated were his changes that all public images of him were ordered to be defaced, literally chiseled down to make the likeness of the man unrecognizable. (Obviously, some images survived.) In short, he was not a popular ruler.

How does all this help us with (B)? Look at it again, in light of the question, which asks us to spot a questionable technique used in the argument:

Quote:
(B) Rely on evidence that in principle would be impossible to challenge

As was the case in real life, it makes perfect sense that his palace guards would have shown fierce loyalty to their pharaoh during his reign. It was only afterward that they quite boldly disrespected him. So how would the evidence, in principle, be impossible to challenge? It is rather easy to suggest that the personal guards of just about any high ruler (particularly an off-with-his-head type) had a personal agenda in praising that ruler in reports written from that sliver of time. The evidence is therefore suspect, not so different from Galileo recanting his heliocentric theory under threats of torture. Did Galileo mean it? Of course not. If someone pointed to the documented words of Galileo recanting that theory, would those words be impossible to challenge? I leave you with that thought. (C) is a much better answer.

Pardon the historical detour, but I enjoyed the Egyptian unit in that art history course. Do I think this question would appear on the GMAT™? No, but it makes a fine LSAT question, and the same type of logic does appear from time to time in boldface questions.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
LBS Moderator
Send PM
The ancient Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten, who had a profound [#permalink]
Hi AndrewN
thanks for reverting back on this question.
I read through your explanation and it did not necessarily clear my doubt.

Question) So how would the evidence, in principle, be impossible to challenge?

In essence the stimulus says - "...as documented in reports written during Akhenaten‟s reign."
So it was ONLY documented in reports.
The stimulus does not mention any other medium which can verify these reports.
So the reports (here evidence) are impossible to challenge.

What got me was I came down to B and C and both were equally appealing answers. So my question to you would be how to differentiate which is a better out of the two options? [I am facing this issue of coming down to the last 2 and guessing on a few questions, so looking forward to your advice]

Also why did you say this, I want to understand if practising LSAT questions is not an ideal strategy for GMAT preparations?

Quote:
Do I think this question would appear on the GMAT™? No, but it makes a fine LSAT question,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi @AnirudhaS
I see what you mean and that's exactly what I struggled with too while reading the OAs. This is how I convinced myself against choosing option B -

As @AndrewN pointed out, it is not impossible to challenge this evidence as one can always point out that there may have been an ulterior motive for the guards to have said good things about their pharaoh in the reports. However, what we can't do is go back in time and "verify" the truth behind those comments (how genuine, or otherwise) given by the guards.

It would help to differentiate between challenging the evidence (something we can do) and verifying the correctness or otherwise of it (something we can't do)

Hope this helps a bit.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
AnirudhaS wrote:
Hi AndrewN
thanks for reverting back on this question.
I read through your explanation and it did not necessarily clear my doubt.

Question) So how would the evidence, in principle, be impossible to challenge?

In essence the stimulus says - "...as documented in reports written during Akhenaten‟s reign."
So it was ONLY documented in reports.
The stimulus does not mention any other medium which can verify these reports.
So the reports (here evidence) are impossible to challenge.

What got me was I came down to B and C and both were equally appealing answers. So my question to you would be how to differentiate which is a better out of the two options? [I am facing this issue of coming down to the last 2 and guessing on a few questions, so looking forward to your advice]

Also why did you say this, I want to understand if practising LSAT questions is not an ideal strategy for GMAT preparations?

Quote:
Do I think this question would appear on the GMAT™? No, but it makes a fine LSAT question,

Hello again, AnirudhaS. Whenever you get to a 50/50 situation between what you think may be the correct answer, you want, fittingly enough, to think like a lawyer and see which one is harder to argue against. In all seriousness, look to attack each option. When I look at (B), I also see a common trap in the absolute, overreaching language: impossible. Oh, really? I might think. How might it be possible? The key to overcoming your knee-jerk reactions to CR (or logical reasoning) answers is to stop seeing only what you want to see. Consider that an alternative interpretation might be more accurate. Again, when I look at (C), I see a few caution signs. The definitive language is a cue to the underlying problem, and regardless of whether the reports in question provide the sole evidence that Akhenaten even existed, I cannot take them at face value and assume that they were produced with impartiality.

Meanwhile, if you look at (C), notice the restrained language in likely to be. This type of cautious language is a hallmark of correct answers. That is, it would be way easier to debate a statement that said, Make a generalization based on a sample that is unrepresentative. Now we are in your mental territory. How would we know—for certain—that the sample was unrepresentative? We would need other samples to draw a proper comparison.

Finally, you asked a question about studying LSAT questions for GMAT™ preparation purposes. I have been outspoken in sharing my views against this practice, and I am not alone. Ron Purewal, for instance, has said the same thing in an archived Manhattan Prep thread. LSAT questions tend to be constructed with formal logic in mind, at least much more so than their GMAT™ counterparts. This is not to say that LSAT questions cannot be useful, just that many of them are not reflective of GMAT™ material, and you can get bent out of shape for no good reason if you are using questions that have only a bit of correlation with those you will see on the test you will actually be taking.

I hope that helps. Thank you, Sonia96, for chiming in.

- Andrew
LBS Moderator
Send PM
AndrewN Thank you good sir. I'm highly indebted to your invaluable advice in the forum. Have a nice day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 592
Send PM
GMATNinja

Kindly guide what should be the argument to eliminate B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Support for answer B
Argument: Pharaoh was loved and respected by his subjects
Option B states that the argument above relies on evidence: the fierce loyalty show to him by his palace guards, as documented in reports, that in principle would be impossible to challenge. It's impossible to challenge because we cannot say that the guards showed him respect because of other reasons eg. they feared him. We cannot say this because it's impossible to prove this so we are simply relying on the reports documented back in the day.

Why is B still wrong?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts