It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 25

The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 14:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (00:55) correct 19% (01:11) wrong based on 161 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge in the Andes Mountains of Peru, had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick with oxygen deprivation.

A. had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick with oxygen deprivation

B. had been built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation
C. was built at a high enough altitude that modern day tourists from lower elevations often become sick with oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
D. was built at such a high altitude that modern-day tourists from lower elevations often become sick from oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
E. was built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Cheers,
SD

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 25

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 52

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 16:03
D. The so high doesnt make sense at all. the such high gives the reason for the sickness described later.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 52

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Re: The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2013, 03:07
can someone explain why past prefect tense is incorrect here

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '16, IIMA
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 20:07
For me the sentence construction seems a bit confusing. When I replace the underline statement with the OA, i.e. D, then I understand something like below
The Inca city was built at high altitude in old time, keeping in mind that mordern-day touritst from lower altitude will face problem (hence they will not visit Inca).

Can someone please explain why A is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
amrishsoni86 wrote:
For me the sentence construction seems a bit confusing. When I replace the underline statement with the OA, i.e. D, then I understand something like below
The Inca city was built at high altitude in old time, keeping in mind that mordern-day touritst from lower altitude will face problem (hence they will not visit Inca).

Notice that D does not say "so that"; it just says "that". So, we cannot interpret that the the Inca city was "intentionally" built at high altitude so that mordern-day tourists from lower altitude will face problem.

A uses "had been built" while D uses "was". So, this looks like a tense issue largely, though I am not very familiar with tenses as yet.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 11

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 07:57
SudiptoGmat wrote:
The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge in the Andes Mountains of Peru, had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick with oxygen deprivation.

A. had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick with oxygen deprivation

B. had been built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation
C. was built at a high enough altitude that modern day tourists from lower elevations often become sick with oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
D. was built at such a high altitude that modern-day tourists from lower elevations often become sick from oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
E. was built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation

OE:

3. The original sentence contains several flaws. First, the past perfect "had been" is unnecessary here because there is only one past event. Second, "high enough" implies that the oxygen deprivation was a goal of the Incas. Third, "it" in this context is ambiguous: is it the altitude or the city that makes tourists sick? Finally, "sick with" is incorrect. It should be "sick from."
(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.
(B) This choice incorrectly uses the past perfect "had been." Additionally, the pronoun "it" is ambiguous in this context and the phrase "so high of an altitude" is awkward.
(C) This choice incorrectly uses the phrases "high enough altitude" and "sick with."
(D) CORRECT. The simple past verb "was" correctly replaces the past perfect verb "had been." The phrase "such a high altitude" replaces "high enough altitude." The sentence is rewritten to avoid ambiguity by removing the pronoun "it." Finally, this choice uses the phrase "sick from" in place of the unidiomatic "sick with."
(E) This choice incorrectly uses the awkward phrase "so high of an altitude." Additionally, the pronoun "it" in this context is ambiguous.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 472

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 11:29
Peru it's a beautiful place. I was in Peru last year and was quite pleased.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 83

Schools: ISB '17, NUS '17

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 02:30
In option D could some one explain me here that why we are using "when visiting the city" here. Because here we are not talking in context of time.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 83

Re: The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2017, 02:30

The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap