GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 11:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The apples sold in this cafeteria are greasy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
Re: The apples sold in this cafeteria are greasy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 07:15
Conclusion:

What is the missing fact
(= the gap = central assumption = unstated premise )
that made the customer think that the apples were covered in pesticides.

Premise:
1. she was told that the apples were not washed in the cafeteria
2. She believes that the apples were covered with pesticides before harvest.

Missing fact:
A. The Process inbetween harvested and before arriving at the cafeteria.
-she did not know that the apple were washed in between

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The apples sold in this cafeteria are greasy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 10:33
madhukaramar wrote:
souvik101990 - Could you help our here please.Below is my analysis.

Cafeteria patron: The apples sold in this cafeteria are greasy. The cashier told me that the apples are in that condition when they are delivered to the cafeteria and that the cafeteria does not wash the apples it sells. Most fruit is sprayed with dangerous pesticides before it is harvested, and is dangerous until it is washed. Clearly, the cafeteria is selling pesticide-covered fruit, thereby endangering its patrons.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) The apples that the cafeteria sells are not thoroughly washed after harvest but before reaching the cafeteria.
-Although this is the best answer - I have a question. "The apples sold in this cafeteria are greasy" is already stated as premise so this options actually tells the same story in
different way. So just a reword of a premise can be considered as an assumption ??

(B) Most pesticides that are sprayed on fruit before harvest leave a greasy residue on the fruit.
- This must not be true to hold the conclusion. Even if less than 50% of pesticides leave grease (negation) - the conclusion holds true.

(C) Many of the cafeteria's patrons are unaware that the cafeteria does not wash the apples it sells.
- This is Out of Scope. Patron's are aware or not doesn't impact the conclusion that the cafeteria is selling pesticide-covered fruit, thereby endangering its patrons

(D) Only pesticides that leave a greasy residue on fruit can be washed off.
- Irrelevant

(E) Fruits other than apples also arrive at the cafeteria in a greasy condition.
- Irrelevant.

I got the answer correct, but please explain why D is irrelevant ?
Re: The apples sold in this cafeteria are greasy &nbs [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 10:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

The apples sold in this cafeteria are greasy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap