GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2018, 12:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Aquipos toucan is able to use its long beak to reach inside

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The Aquipos toucan is able to use its long beak to reach inside [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 10:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:33) correct 39% (01:42) wrong based on 296 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Aquipos toucan is able to use its long beak to reach inside apertures in a tree’s bark and feed on the insects that dwell within and that are the toucan’s main food source. Several noted ornithologists have speculated that because the toucan’s beak is curved in a manner similar to the openings in the bark, the beak evolved so that the toucan can best take advantage of the insects lying deep inside.

Which of the following, if true, argues most strongly against the ornithologists’ speculation?

A) Not all trees in the Aquipos toucan’s environment house sufficient quantities of insects to satisfy the caloric needs of the toucan.
B) Subtle gradations in the beak’s of other species of birds have allowed them to better access resources in their respective environments.
C) Many insects crawl on the bark of the tree and a toucan can sometimes become satiated without having to access insects living beneath the bark.
D) The Aquipos toucan is also able to use its beak to break bark, thereby accessing insects that dwell in the trunk.
E) The tree holes in which the Aquipos toucan is able to access insects have a characteristic shape that differs only very slightly from tree to tree.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: The Aquipos toucan is able to use its long beak to reach inside [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 10:58
Harley1980 wrote:
The Aquipos toucan is able to use its long beak to reach inside apertures in a tree’s bark and feed on the insects that dwell within and that are the toucan’s main food source. Several noted ornithologists have speculated that because the toucan’s beak is curved in a manner similar to the openings in the bark, the beak evolved so that the toucan can best take advantage of the insects lying deep inside.

Which of the following, if true, argues most strongly against the ornithologists’ speculation?

A) Not all trees in the Aquipos toucan’s environment house sufficient quantities of insects to satisfy the caloric needs of the toucan.
B) Subtle gradations in the beak’s of other species of birds have allowed them to better access resources in their respective environments.
C) Many insects crawl on the bark of the tree and a toucan can sometimes become satiated without having to access insects living beneath the bark.
D) The Aquipos toucan is also able to use its beak to break bark, thereby accessing insects that dwell in the trunk.
E) The tree holes in which the Aquipos toucan is able to access insects have a characteristic shape that differs only very slightly from tree to tree.

Good question!!!

D is cleverly worded saying that it is actually the bird that makes the holes curved and it is not other way round- Holes in trunks did not cause the beaks to become curved.

I hope I am correct in my explanation.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Retired Moderator
The Aquipos toucan is able to use its long beak to reach inside [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 11:09
samichange wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

Good question!!!

D is cleverly worded saying that it is actually the bird that makes the holes curved and it is not other way round- Holes in trunks did not cause the beaks to become curved.

Hello samichange

I think that D says that these birds can break the bark and get access to the holes in such direct manner and argument didn't says that birds create holes.

Also if holes were created by these birds seeking for insects then why these birds made this holes?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: The Aquipos toucan is able to use its long beak to reach inside [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 11:25
Harley1980 wrote:
samichange wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

Good question!!!

Hello samichange

I think that D says that these birds can break the bark and get access to the holes in such direct manner and argument didn't says that birds create holes.

Also if holes were created by these birds seeking for insects then why these birds made this holes?

I think you might have misunderstood my reply!!!
I will repeat-

The argument concludes that the shape of the holes influenced ( CAUSED) the beaks to shape and assume the curve shape of the holes.

D says the opposite- It is the beaks that are curved and so the holes are curved.The curved beaks make curved holes.

So the causality is reversed and reverse causality is a weakener.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 11:46
samichange wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
samichange wrote:
Good question!!!

Hello samichange

I think you might have misunderstood my reply!!!
I will repeat-

The argument concludes that the shape of the holes influenced ( CAUSED) the beaks to shape and assume the curve shape of the holes.

D says the opposite- It is the beaks that are curved and so the holes are curved.The curved beaks make curved holes.

So the causality is reversed and reverse causality is a weakener.

I understand what you said but there is no reversed causality in variant D.
Curved beak didn't make curved holes. Holes were created by process of tree growing.

Variant D says that these birds have no needs to have a curved beak because they can easily break bark and get access to the insects in holes.
So conclusion that these birds get these curved beaks as a result of evolution to get insects is wrong because they can get insects without curved beaks.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 01:48
Harley1980 wrote:

I saw the discussion until now and believe Only C can be the answer.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 23:38
the key word in the answer choice 'C' and why it is not the best answer is "sometimes".
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 23:38
the key word in the answer choice 'C' and why it is not the best answer is "sometimes".
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 00:04
Harley1980 wrote:

I still don't understand the reasoning :(
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 01:36
anupamadw wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

I still don't understand the reasoning :(

Hello anupamadw

Here is solution
1) finding conclusion:
the beak evolved so that the toucan can best take advantage of the insects lying deep inside.

2) prethinking how we can weaken it
we can weaken it if we show that toucan has no need in curved beak for getting insects lying deep inside because if he has no need than evolution of his beak has another reasons

3) search for answer
This is what we think in step 2: toucan has no need in curved beak for getting insects lying deep inside so evolution happened due to another reasons.

If you write on which step you have misunderstanidng I will try to explain it more thoroughly

Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 05:28
Hi guys,

I selected the answer option B but now i realise that the word "sometimes" turned out to be my undoing.
However,the correct answer should be option D.

The reasoning is as follows

Cause : The bark's openings are curved
Cause : Toucan feeds on the insects present inside the bark

Effect : The toucan's beaks have evolved and became curvy.

Now,to weaken this reasoning,we have to show that there is an another cause for this effect.

Option D does this.

It says that the toucan's beaks can also be used to break the bark to prey on the insects,proving that the bark's curvy adaptation cannot be attributed to the bark's curvy structure.There might be some other reason as well.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 06:16
"The Aquipos toucan is able to use its long beak to reach inside apertures" is the key word; thus C is out of scope. Such pattern in C is common in gmat, test takers must know this.
Re: The Aquipos toucan is able to use its long beak to reach inside   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2018, 06:16

The Aquipos toucan is able to use its long beak to reach inside

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap