Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7792 [85]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [19]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [7]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [3]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The architectural problem of how to enclose and articulate interior [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey,

IMO,

meaning of the sentence - Architectural problem becomes increasingly problematic with the increase in the size of the space.
'Size of the space' - This phrase will give us a 3-2 split. Size can increase or decrease. This eliminates 'A' and 'E'

a) size of the space gets larger -> usage of word 'larger' warrants for a comparison, which the sentence does not make.
b) Correct
c) size of the space will increase - awkward construction
d) as there is an increase - awkward
e) cannot associate larger with a size without making a comparison.

Hope this helps. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
Re: The architectural problem of how to enclose and articulate interior [#permalink]
BigNasty wrote:
Hey,

IMO,

meaning of the sentence - Architectural problem becomes increasingly problematic with the increase in the size of the space.
'Size of the space' - This phrase will give us a 3-2 split. Size can increase or decrease. This eliminates 'A' and 'E'

a) size of the space gets larger -> usage of word 'larger' warrants for a comparison, which the sentence does not make.
b) Correct

Yes, but in answer B the word larger disappears, therefore the use of more to make a parallel comparison is not necessary.... I still think IMO is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2091 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
Saurajm wrote:
BigNasty wrote:
Hey,

IMO,

b) Correct

Yes, but in answer B the word larger disappears, therefore the use of more to make a parallel comparison is not necessary.... I still think IMO is A.

Hi,

Space cant get larger.... Space increases

I hope this is more clear from the below definition (Citation : https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/larger?s=t)
" large  [lahrj] Show IPA adjective, larg·er, larg·est, noun, adverb
adjective
1.of more than average size, quantity, degree, etc.; exceeding that which is common to a kind or class; big; great: a large house; a large number; in large measure; to a large extent.
2.on a great scale: a large producer of kitchen equipment.
3.of great scope or range; extensive; broad.
4.grand or pompous: a man given to large, bombastic talk.
5.(of a map, model, etc.) representing the features of the original with features of its own that are relatively large so that great detail may be shown. "

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Nice finding. Very difficult to get this difference in allotted time in exam :oops:

daagh can you please help with your take on this question as well.

boomtangboy wrote:
Saurajm wrote:
BigNasty wrote:
Hey,

IMO,

b) Correct

Hi,

Space cant get larger.... Space increases

I hope this is more clear from the below definition (Citation : https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/larger?s=t)
" large  [lahrj] Show IPA adjective, larg·er, larg·est, noun, adverb
adjective
1.of more than average size, quantity, degree, etc.; exceeding that which is common to a kind or class; big; great: a large house; a large number; in large measure; to a large extent.
2.on a great scale: a large producer of kitchen equipment.
3.of great scope or range; extensive; broad.
4.grand or pompous: a man given to large, bombastic talk.
5.(of a map, model, etc.) representing the features of the original with features of its own that are relatively large so that great detail may be shown. "

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Could and Expert please help to choose between A and B?

I chose B purely because - "it sounds better". What is the real grammatical reason?
I presume, something to do with Adverb/adjective, but cannot quite put my finger on it.

Help will be appreciated.

Regadrs
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [2]
Given Kudos: 338
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
This is a good question that tests the logic behind greater/larger versus increases/decreases. When we compare two entities, then it makes sense to use larger/greater whereas when we compare and entity with itself over a period of time, we use increases/decreases. Hence, B.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5649 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
(a) increasingly critical as the size of the space gets larger --- I don't like this structure "as the size of the space gets larger" than what ?
(b) ever more critical as the size of the space increases ---- better construction
(c) more and more critical as the size of the space will increase ---- we need present tense. future tense changed the meaning.
(d) one that is increasingly critical as there is an increase in the size of the space --- very awkward.
(e) more critical with the size of the space getting larger --- not good at all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
daagh sir
GMATNinja

How to eliminate A and choose B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hi eybrj2,

Thank you for your question. This is a tricky one, so let's tackle it one problem at a time. When looking over the answers quickly, it's clear there are a couple differences we can address to narrow down answers:

1. the use of "increasingly" vs. "more"
2. the use of "increases" vs. "getting larger"

So the trick with this sentence is to decide which part gets to use the word "increase": the growing intensity of the problem or the change in size of the space. Since it makes more sense to use the word "increase" to show the growing size of the space, let's take out any answers that use a version of "increase" to describe the problem. This means we can rule out answers A & D.

Now that we're left with answers B, C, & D, let's check for one of the most common errors in GMAT sentence correction questions - parallel format. In this case, the parts in bold need to be parallel in format and style to the original verb "becomes." Let's see how they stack up:

(b) becomes / ever more critical as the size of the space increases (CORRECT = parallel format)
(c) becomes / more and more critical as the size of the space will increase (WRONG = not parallel)
(d) becomes / one that is increasingly critical as there is an increase in the size of the space (WRONG = not parallel)

So, based on the more appropriate use of "more" instead of "increases," and based on the correct parallel format, it's clear that B is the correct answer.

I got the correct answer, but is "Will" in (C) a really a big issue? Because, will may maybe referring to something in the future, and not simultaneously as in the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 695
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
The architectural problem of how to enclose and articulate interior [#permalink]
Kudos
The architectural problem of how to enclose and articulate interior space becomes increasingly critical as the size of the space gets larger.

(a) increasingly critical as the size of the space gets larger - 'Larger' than what? Comparative words like taller,bigger,smaller etc. need to address what the subject is being compared to --- this happens with a follow up part : (taller) THAN XXXX
(b) ever more critical as the size of the space increases - Makes sense.
(c) more and more critical as the size of the space will increase - more and more? Wordy
(d) one that is increasingly critical as there is an increase in the size of the space - non sensical
(e) more critical with the size of the space getting larger - same as (a)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
I feel (B) is only marginally better than (A). Larger in A doesn't necessarily need a comparison. For example when you say: when you grow older, you will know things better. Do you need a strict comparison for “older”? The comparison is implicit with how old you are now. Knowing “larger” is not a deal breaker, I went with gut feeling and chose B, since it doesn't really run into this "potential" critque
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
If the same is applicable for other comparative words - "higher", "lower", "greater", "longer" - that require "than" for the logical comparison, just like "larger" or "smaller", can you please confirm whether the below sentences are correct?

The more air the balloon is filled in with, the higher it goes when released.
The more the snake eats, the longer it gets.

These sentences don't have "than", as they are not compared with another entity. But, the usage without "than" doesn't seem wrong. I am trying to understand if the usage of "larger" in Option A is wrong, or it is just that "increases" in option B is a better choice than A.

AndrewN - Request you to please enlighten.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [5]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos