Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Short Passagex   Social Sciencex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38827 [98]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [33]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [20]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Re: The argument for monetizingor putting a monetary value onecosystem [#permalink]
Hi - For the below question, i selected A but the OA was C.

Question : why isnt A the right answer ? The following reason is why i picked "A"

wording in passage " according to David Pearce, that illusion stems from the fact that “services” provided by ecological systems are not traded on the commodities market,and thus have no readily quantifiable value"..........

Did not like C because counting the international visitors is quantifiable ...hence eliminated C..

In A, the impact of the good location on the hotel is not countable ...

Thoughts ?

---------------------------------------------

Which of the following most clearly represents an example of an “ecological service” as that term is used in line 20?

A. A resort hotel located in an area noted for its natural beauty
B. A water-purifying plant that supplements natural processes with nontoxic chemicals
C. A wildlife preserve that draws many international travelers
D. A nonprofit firm that specializes in restoring previously damaged ecosystems
E. A newsletter that keeps readers informed of ecological victories and setbacks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [3]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Re: The argument for monetizingor putting a monetary value onecosystem [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
Hi - For the below question, i selected A but the OA was C.

Question : why isnt A the right answer ? The following reason is why i picked "A"

wording in passage " according to David Pearce, that illusion stems from the fact that “services” provided by ecological systems are not traded on the commodities market,and thus have no readily quantifiable value"..........

Did not like C because counting the international visitors is quantifiable ...hence eliminated C..

In A, the impact of the good location on the hotel is not countable ...

Thoughts ?

---------------------------------------------

Which of the following most clearly represents an example of an “ecological service” as that term is used in line 20?

B. A water-purifying plant that supplements natural processes with nontoxic chemicals
D. A nonprofit firm that specializes in restoring previously damaged ecosystems
E. A newsletter that keeps readers informed of ecological victories and setbacks

Hi,

It would really help if you look closely at the sentence following your cited one:
"To remedy this, says Pearce, one has to show that all ecosystems have economic value—indeed, that all ecological services are economic services."

--> The "quantifiable value" should be understood from economics perspective. Frankly speaking, it's all about money.

--> "Tourists visiting wildlife preserves, for example, create jobs and generate income for national economies;" In order to facilitate good services for tourists, many companies specializing in transportation, tour guides and other kinds will emerge, thus creating jobs and generating income for national economies... These economic values cannot be realized immediately, but rather in the long-run. CORRECT

Regarding why option (A) is wrong:

--> Yes, I agree with you that "In A, the impact of the good location on the hotel is not countable ..." as you said; however, the option should be understood as: "A resort hotel......[modifier]......" most clearly represents an example of an “ecological service”. In other words, "resort hotel", instead of "natural beauty" of its location, is the example this option suggests. As you may know, "resort hotel" is not an "ecosystems". OUT.

The above is just my personal thought. I'm not sure how OG explains the correct answer, so you can read OG for clarification.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [4]
Given Kudos: 154
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Sauder '20
GMAT Date: 06-26-2015
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 2.75
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I have taken 2mins:15secs to read and write the point of the passage:

I took
110secs - 1st Q - Wrong
70 secs - 2nd Q - Wrong
75 secs - 3rd Q - Right
12 secs - 4th Q - Wrong

The accuracy you see above tells you that I'm not an expert on the Topic. But this is what my analysis of my shortcoming:
Mistake#1:
Reading the passage: Thinking about reading the whole passage in 2mins kills the comprehension ability, I skim all the important decision points. Because of which, I have a different story about the passage in my head.

Q1: This is an inference Question
The context of the passage which you need to know to answer this Q lies between line 15 and 25.
Analysis: Monetization has to elements in it, they are Environment and Economical benefits. So, Our Buddy David believes that Monetization is an environmental conservation strategy and it is difficult to prove the economic benefit of it. So, we should somehow to link this strategy to an economic benefit. And David give two examples to explain the same idea to dumb people like me, who don't understand complex structured sentences.

B- Nowhere in the whole passage, we see testing or not testing a strategy - Eliminate
C- This is complete crap because David told that we have to link the Environmental strategy like monetization to commercial benefits, but this choice talks about restricting to only ecological service. Moreover, GMAT authors think we test takers are idiots and add so heard words like tourism and recreation. Dumbasses like me chose this choice. Like I did, because of the wordings.
E- This choice is a clear NO because David's idea was to portray the ecological goals to commercial benefits - Eliminate

Two devil choices: D Vs A:
A is good till the environmentalists but fails to reference indicate who are these Critics. We generally tend to think critics are opponents to Environmentalists, that not the case. A group of critics may comprise of Environmentalists and Economists. - Eliminate;

D- Correct.

Q2: This is a Specific Details Question
Read line 19 to 20 quickly to get the taste of what is being tested there. So, David believes that Services are ecological only when they provide economic benefits.

A- We are not sure, what is happening with this hotel, is it operating? People prefer to visit that? Are people working? No answers to these questions. - Eliminated
B- See the above reasons mentioned for A, the choices B C E, are all same with a different type of businesses, we are 100% sure that these businesses provide any economic/commercial benefits. Screw them - Eliminated.

But Choice D answers perfectly, Wildlife preserves- preserves wildlife = Environmental benefits & attracts tourist = Commerical benefit. Cool... This is the answer.

Q3: According to the passage,...... ---> Specific Q.
There are two steps to perform to answer a specific Question,
Step1: Find the context, read the lines in the passage.
Step2: Answer choice you choose should comprehend the same as what you comprehended in step1

So, here Context is Daily's idea about monetization. It is easy to locate Names in the passage, with that you can see last 5 lines would be the place to have to read and comprehend.
Frankly speaking, I could comprehend 100% of Daily's idea, but what I could get is the monetization effects human behavior.So, answer choice that talks about human behavior is A.

Q4: This is again an inference Q
Read the line 8 to get the context. My comprehension is that some critics blame environmentalists for the strategy of monetization is not have shown any improvement in conservation.
Hunting down the answers:
A- There is no income or financial aspect happened between some critics and environmentalists - Eliminated
B- We don't know about the number that group- Eliminated
D- We don't know who is the front seat and who is at the back - Eliminated
E - This talks about 'Groups' of environmentalists, can you name two names of groups- No then Eliminate this choice

C- references the right spot that Environmentalists sometimes need to take the blame because they might sometimes fail on strategies. - Correct

If you enjoyed and learned from my analysis-Good, but please point out any errors in my analysis. At the end of the day that is what matters the most, LEARNING NEW STUFF.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Kudos
AbdurRakib wrote:
GMAT® Official Guide 2018

Practice Question
Question No.:
Online test bank question number : RC00344-02 ~ RC00344-06

The argument for “monetizing”—or putting a monetary value on—ecosystem functions may be stated thus: Concern about the depletion of natural resources is widespread, but this concern, in the absence of an economic argument for conservation, has not translated into significant conservational progress. Some critics blame this impasse on environmentalists, whom they believe fail to address the economic issues of environmental degradation. Conservation can appear unprofitable when compared with the economic returns derived from converting natural assets (pristine coastlines, for example) into explicitly commercial ones (such as resort hotels). But according to David Pearce, that illusion stems from the fact that “services” provided by ecological systems are not traded on the commodities market, and thus have no readily quantifiable value. To remedy this, says Pearce, one has to show that all ecosystems have economic value—indeed, that all ecological services are economic services. Tourists visiting wildlife preserves, for example, create jobs and generate income for national economies; undisturbed forests and wetlands regulate water runoff and act as water-purifying systems, saving millions of dollars worth of damage to property and to marine ecosystems. In Gretchen Daily’s view, monetization, while unpopular with many environmentalists, reflects the dominant role that economic considerations play in human behavior, and the expression of economic value in a common currency helps inform environmental decision-making processes.
(Book Question: 415)
1. Information in the passage suggests that David Pearce would most readily endorse which of the following statements concerning monetization?

(A) Monetization represents a strategy that is attractive to both environmentalists and their critics.

(B) Monetization is an untested strategy, but it is increasingly being embraced by environmentalists.

(C) Monetization should at present be restricted to ecological services and should only gradually be extended to such commercial endeavors as tourism and recreation.

(D) Monetization can serve as a means of representing persuasively the value of environmental conservation.

(E) Monetization should inform environmental decision-making processes only if it is accepted by environmentalist groups.

(Book Question: 416)
2. Which of the following most clearly represents an example of an “ecological service” as that term is used in line 20?

(A) A resort hotel located in an area noted for its natural beauty

(B) A water-purifying plant that supplements natural processes with nontoxic chemicals

(C) A wildlife preserve that draws many international travelers

(D) A nonprofit firm that specializes in restoring previously damaged ecosystems

(E) A newsletter that keeps readers informed of ecological victories and setbacks

(Book Question: 417)
3. According to the passage, Daily sees monetization as an indication of which of the following?

(A) The centrality of economic interests to people’s actions

(B) The reluctance of the critics of environmentalism to acknowledge the importance of conservation

(C) The inability of financial interests and ecological interests to reach a common ideological ground

(D) The inevitability of environmental degradation

(E) The inevitability of the growth of ecological services in the future

(Book Question: 418)
4. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage concerning the environmentalists mentioned in line 8?

(A) They are organized in opposition to the generation of income produced by the sale of ecological services.

(B) They are fewer in number but better organized and better connected to the media than their opponents.

(C) They have sometimes been charged with failing to use a particular strategy in their pursuit of conservational goals.

(D) They have been in the forefront of publicizing the extent of worldwide environmental degradation.

(E) They define environmental progress differently and more conservatively than do other organized groups of environmentalists.

----------------
Did all correct for the first time but it took me 8min30s which is too slow....

1. Information in the passage suggests that David Pearce would most readily endorse which of the following statements concerning monetization?

(A) Monetization represents a strategy that is attractive to both environmentalists and their critics.

(B) Monetization is an untested strategy, but it is increasingly being embraced by environmentalists.

(C) Monetization should at present be restricted to ecological services and should only gradually be extended to such commercial endeavors as tourism and recreation.

(D) Monetization can serve as a means of representing persuasively the value of environmental conservation.=> says Pearce, one has to show that all ecosystems have economic value—indeed, that all ecological services are economic services.

(E) Monetization should inform environmental decision-making processes only if it is accepted by environmentalist groups.

2. Which of the following most clearly represents an example of an “ecological service” as that term is used in line 20?

(A) A resort hotel located in an area noted for its natural beauty

(B) A water-purifying plant that supplements natural processes with nontoxic chemicals

(C) A wildlife preserve that draws many international travelers => one has to show that all ecosystems have economic value—indeed, that all ecological services are economic services. Tourists visiting wildlife preserves, for example, create jobs and generate income for national economies;=> It means that ecological brings money and revenue for the economic system

(D) A nonprofit firm that specializes in restoring previously damaged ecosystems

(E) A newsletter that keeps readers informed of ecological victories and setbacks

3. According to the passage, Daily sees monetization as an indication of which of the following?

(A) The centrality of economic interests to people’s actions => monetization, while unpopular with many environmentalists, reflects the dominant role that economic considerations play in human behavior, and the expression of economic value in a common currency helps inform environmental decision-making processes.

(B) The reluctance of the critics of environmentalism to acknowledge the importance of conservation

(C) The inability of financial interests and ecological interests to reach a common ideological ground

(D) The inevitability of environmental degradation

(E) The inevitability of the growth of ecological services in the future

4. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage concerning the environmentalists mentioned in line 8?

(A) They are organized in opposition to the generation of income produced by the sale of ecological services.

(B) They are fewer in number but better organized and better connected to the media than their opponents.

(C) They have sometimes been charged with failing to use a particular strategy in their pursuit of conservational goals.

(D) They have been in the forefront of publicizing the extent of worldwide environmental degradation.

(E) They define environmental progress differently and more conservatively than do other organized groups of environmentalists.=> in the absence of an economic argument for conservation, has not translated into significant conservational progress. Some critics blame this impasse on environmentalists, whom they believe fail to address the economic issues of environmental degradation. => This means environmentalists don't concern about economic aspect when running a conservation project

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Hi,
GMATNinja mikemcgarry please could you help me with the following OG question

2. Which of the following most clearly represents an example of an ???ecological service??? as that term is used in line 20?

We are looking for an answer choice that shows how the "ecological factors" create some economic value and thus be termed as "ecological services"

(C) it is clear cut an "ecological services" because the wildlife preserve that draws many international travelers will create job opportunity as well as income

But what about (A) A resort does create job opportunities and since it is located in an area of natural beauty can't we say that this natural beauty is responsible for a part of the income generation? and thus be termed as an "ecological service"?

Is this a far fetched assumption?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [18]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos