It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 07:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 14:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 02:20
I think increase in number of assembled television in D doesn't affect the amount assembled in Borodia

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 211

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 03:49
michalky wrote:
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.

This choice is the correct one - the author is assuming the time it takes to assembly one TV in Borodian has not changed. For if it had decreased, the whole argument would collaps > there would be less workers producing the same number of TVsets.
The argument doesn't mention that number of TVs decreased.

How is that necessary?
This is a terrible explanation.
How might the argument collapse if C doesn't hold?
Not even an expert comment on this question.
It's awfully bad that no one can explain this answer.

Posted from my mobile device

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 07:31
Nez wrote:
I'm yet to see the link btween the answer and the argument.
average number of hours... was that discussed?
There must be a link but I'm yet to get it.

May be there is an economics I missed

Nez

This is regarding your query.
I Analysed the argument first as below.
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 49.79 KiB | Viewed 828 times ]

What can be reason for this Conclusion?

No change in Total sales and
reduction in labor.

Assumptions that must account for the conclusion

Either skill must have improved i.e., less people are able to assemble more TVs then before 3 yrs
    OR
    the possible reduction in number of TVs due to reduction in assemblers has been supported with imported TVs from Vernland........i.e., conclusion.

So skill related assumption mentioned above must be false............i.e., C.
I hope this helps. :)

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 75

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 08:01
Nevernevergiveup
This is clear from the word go.
My prethink assumption was MORE TVs were imported from vernland to make the sales remain same.
That's obvious.
How does that relate to C (average hour used to assembly TV...) I.e. how long it takes to assembly a TV in Borod. folks here must think I'm an idiot or something. but believe me I'm struggling to establish the logical link.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 08:29
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Nez wrote:
Nevernevergiveup
My prethink assumption was MORE TVs were imported from vernland to make the sales remain same.
That's obvious.
How does that relate to C (average hour used to assembly TV...) I.e. how long it takes to assembly a TV in Borod. folks here must think I'm an idiot or something. but believe me I'm struggling to establish the logical link.

If you still have a doubt, best weapon to test the assumption is to negate it.
Try to negate C and then observe the conclusion to collapse.

Just read the link.
It's rehashed what I already know.
If time used to produce a TV in Borodia has reduced, to which point in the conclusion does that provide alternative cause?
That's essentially what I've been asking aloud.
What's the causal link btween that & the conclusion?

Am I missing something?

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6103 [0], given: 121

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 08:52
Nez wrote:
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Nez wrote:
Nevernevergiveup
That's obvious.

Just read the link.
It's rehashed what I already know.
If time used to produce a TV in Borodia has reduced, to which point in the conclusion does that provide alternative cause?
That's essentially what I've been asking aloud.
What's the causal link btween that & the conclusion?

Am I missing something?

hi,
This might be the first time I have come across a OG Q which is not very convincing..
Yes, in the given choices C may be the best ..
So let me take C..
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
If the Borodian television assembler have started taking lesser time, why should it translate into fewer assembler?
Yes it would mean lesser hour spent on assembling ..

there is a point mentioned above that assembler will not shift to V because hourly wages are lesser as compared to B..
but if B was getting paid $7 per hour and was assembling 1 TV, whereas in V, they were getting $4 and were also assembling 1 tv in one hour..
But B has become more efficient and is now assembling 2 tv..
B is getting paid $3.5 per TV whereas C is getting $4 per TV..
Now yes the assembler in B could move to C

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6103 [0], given: 121

1 KUDOS received
D

Kudos [?]: 487 [1], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Nez wrote:
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Nez wrote:
Nevernevergiveup
That's obvious.

Nevernevergiveup
I tried negating it and the conclusion became more powerful and inevitable.
If it takes them more time to make a telly then they would produce less TV and that's more reason Vernland has to come in so that sales remains same.

Am I missing something?

Hi Nez,

I have tried to cover it with my understanding. hope it helps:

This is defender assumption question. Definition (in my own words)

Defender assumption : it means when you conclude something from the information (premises) given, then any information that a critique/lay-man may use to attack/break that conclusion is what you have to defend the conclusion with by saying NO "this is not the case".

So defender assumption is that unstated premise, which the critque may use to attack and you would negate that infor to defend the conclusion.

V=Vernland, B=Borodia

FACT(Premise-1) : Avg hourly wage of V is less than B.

FACT(Premise-2) : Since B dropped Tariffs (charges levied on import of goods) on V's TVs, the #ofTVs sold has not changed.

FACT(premise-3) : Number of assemblers is dropped in B.

Conclusion : Number of TVs imports annualy has increased from V.

Explanation:
I am critique who is good at stats and just by looking at this argument i come and attack this conclusion by saying --->"The technology has increased and has been helping the assemblers so well that they can now assemble a TV in 10 hours which used to take 20 hours 3 years before. So companies in B has dropped the number of assemblers by half who can assemble as many number of TVs as previously assembled. It means that the reason for "the #ofTVs sold has not changed." is the new technology in B not that B has increased import from V.

So this is the information on which argument DEPENDS. Because its not stated as a premise hence it is ASSUMPTION. So if you as the writer tell this/add this in argument then your conclusion is just safe from THIS one particular attack.

Now how to apply this:
Whenever you try to pre-think or paraphrase, just try to think of the key things/points that may attack the conclusion. These points are related to main parameters of argument. In this questions these parameters are hourly wages, number assembler, number of television and average. Of course MOST of the times (at least me) cannot come up with anything on pre-thinking BUT i get know what parameters are there and how are they related.
Now this is very important atleast for someone who is preparing for the GMAT that s/he knows what can impact average, what can imapct number or what can impact hours or what can impact wages when all of these are related.

So when i was doing this question I could not paraphrase anything but the moment i saw hours in the choice i kept it safe and read other choices. took a little long but this was the real attacker.

For defender assumption most of the you will see that a answer choice using negative word is correct. so pick such choices first.WHY? "because you are saying this my conclusion and yeah this is NOT the case if u attack me with it." (general understanding).

Hope it helps :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 904 [1], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
chetan2u wrote:

hi,
This might be the first time I have come across a OG Q which is not very convincing..
So let me take C..
If the Borodian television assembler have started taking lesser time, why should it translate into fewer assembler?

there is a point mentioned above that assembler will not shift to V because hourly wages are lesser as compared to B..
but if B was getting paid $7 per hour and was assembling 1 TV, whereas in V, they were getting $4 and were also assembling 1 tv in one hour..

Hi chetan2u

I got your point.
But even in this case, how can that job immigration help our conclusion explaining the increase in imported TVs from vernland?
The concept that assembler in B could not move to C is my assumption which is proved false by you. But again how do we know whether they moved to somewhere else or only vernland. We have no info regarding the decrease in number of assemblers right?

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 904 [1], given: 75

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 13:47
Quote:

I have tried to cover it with my understanding. hope it helps:

This is defender assumption question. Definition (in my own words)

Defender assumption : it means when you conclude something from the information (premises) given, then any information that a critique/lay-man may use to attack/break that conclusion is what you have to defend the conclusion with by saying NO "this is not the case".

So defender assumption is that unstated premise, which the critque may use to attack and you would negate that infor to defend the conclusion.

V=Vernland, B=Borodia

FACT(Premise-1) : Avg hourly wage of V is less than B.

FACT(Premise-2) : Since B dropped Tariffs (charges levied on import of goods) on V's TVs, the #ofTVs sold has not changed.

FACT(premise-3) : Number of assemblers is dropped in B.

Conclusion : Number of TVs imports annualy has increased from V.

Explanation:
I am critique who is good at stats and just by looking at this argument i come and attack this conclusion by saying --->"The technology has increased and has been helping the assemblers so well that they can now assemble a TV in 10 hours which used to take 20 hours 3 years before. So companies in B has dropped the number of assemblers by half who can assemble as many number of TVs as previously assembled. It means that the reason for "the #ofTVs sold has not changed." is the new technology in B not that B has increased import from V.

So this is the information on which argument DEPENDS. Because its not stated as a premise hence it is ASSUMPTION. So if you as the writer tell this/add this in argument then your conclusion is just safe from THIS one particular attack.

Now how to apply this:
Whenever you try to pre-think or paraphrase, just try to think of the key things/points that may attack the conclusion. These points are related to main parameters of argument. In this questions these parameters are hourly wages, number assembler, number of television and average. Of course MOST of the times (at least me) cannot come up with anything on pre-thinking BUT i get know what parameters are there and how are they related.
Now this is very important atleast for someone who is preparing for the GMAT that s/he knows what can impact average, what can imapct number or what can impact hours or what can impact wages when all of these are related.

So when i was doing this question I could not paraphrase anything but the moment i saw hours in the choice i kept it safe and read other choices. took a little long but this was the real attacker.

For defender assumption most of the you will see that a answer choice using negative word is correct. so pick such choices first.WHY? "because you are saying this my conclusion and yeah this is NOT the case if u attack me with it." (general understanding).

Hope it helps :)

HKD1710
Thanks for the new dimension though vulnerable but it helped. So I must ask WHAT IS THE POSSIBLE CAUSE OF THE EVENT? INCREASED TECH.. THEN I'LL ASSUME UPON IT THAT THE INCREASED TECH ALSO INCREASED PRODUCTION HENCE SALES. *hhmmm*
The tip you mentioned about a negated option. Is it for real? Isn't GMAC smarter than that?

Ladies & gentlemen this is one hellovakweshon from OG.13. No two explainers have explained same thing!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18104 [2], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 23:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
linker wrote:
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.

The question seems to be giving a lot of pain but actually, it is absolutely fine. As expected, OG does not falter here too.
Forget everything you have read about this question before and look at it with fresh eyes:

Premises:
- The hourly wage of assemblers in V is much lower than that in B.
- 3 yrs ago, B dropped all tariffs on TVs imported from V.
- Number of TVs sold annually in B is same.
- But number of assemblers in B has decreased.

Conclusion: Trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions B imports annually from V has increased.

The conclusion might look logical but is full of assumptions.
Why logical? Wages in V are lower (so seems like TVs are cheaper in V). B dropped all tariffs on import (so no artificial inflation of TV prices ofV) . Number of TVs sold in B has not dropped but number of assemblers in B has dropped (looks like fewer TVs are getting made in B).
An onlooker might conclude that B is importing more TVs from V because they are cheaper.

But here are some assumptions:
- The cost of a TV in V is lower because assembler's wage is lower. What if the raw material cost is higher in V? Or other costs are higher? The cost of a V TV could actually be higher than the cost of a B TV.
- Fewer TVs are getting made in B. Assemblers in B have not become more productive. What if fewer assemblers are needed because they can complete assembly process much faster? The number of TVs sold is the same. If each assembler is doing more work, fewer assemblers will be needed. In that case, the number of TVs getting made in B might have stayed the same.

Look at the options:

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
Not required by the conclusion. Perhaps number of TVs being sold in V has actually reduced and more are getting exported to B. SO overall number of TVs being made is the same.

B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
Not required by the conclusion. The TVs could be exactly the same. They could be cheaper because of which they could be getting imported from V.

This is an assumption. We are assuming that the reduction in the number of assemblers is not because of an increase in the productivity of the assemblers. If the assemblers have got more productive, the number of TVs produced could be the same and hence the import would not have increased.

D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
Not required by the conclusion. Perhaps number of TVs being sold in V has actually reduced and more are getting exported to B. So overall number of TVs being made is the same.

E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.
Not required by the conclusion. What happens to the hourly wages of assemblers in V and B in future is not a concern for this in this argument. We are only concerned about what has been happening in the last 3 yrs.

Answer (C)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
D

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Nez
Quote:
new dimension though vulnerable
Mention of ‘vulnerability’ is good, It’s expression would be Better. Please share, I am sure it will help me bring unstated facts :P

Quote:
The tip you mentioned about a negated option. Is it for real? Isn't GMAC smarter than that?

Of course GMAT is way smarter. But as well know it’s all about PATTERNS in questions. So what I said is likely to be the case. I also said MOST (51%) of the times you will see this.

Having said that I think I have more data to give you clear picture of why assumptions are there and how many kinds of assumptions are relevant in GMAT and how would you recognize them and how would it help you answer them.

ASSUMPTIONS: There are two kind of assumptions.
1. Supporter Assumptions
2. Defender Assumptions

See, How convenient are these names that they themselves suggest the real meaning.

Supporter assumption is required for weak arguments and Defender assumption is required for strong arguments and NO assumption for just FACT based arguments (arguments that has no conclusion).

For Weak argument, you need some information to fill the GAP i.e. missing link between the premise and conclusion. Whereas, for Strong argument, you need some information that helps maintain the strong bond between the premise and conclusion. (This is the key reason negative words or any word that helps writing an unstated promise TO DEFEND the conclusion from attack is generally found in the correct answer choice).

If you identify whether it is a supporter assumption or defender assumption real fast then you can make your mind up while reading whether you need to find out the missing link OR think of the possible attacks.

So, How do we identify whether its supporter or defender assumption? Following keywords in Question stamp would help:

Enables, supports, allows, helps, accounts are the key words for SUPPORTER ASSUMOPTION.

Depends on, required, relies, assumes, necessary, based are some keywords for DEFENDER ASSUMPTION.

Target - 720-740

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 00:57
ASSUMPTION FLUX
Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma. Your explanation isn't very dissimilar from HKD1710's.
Just that yours lacked debilitating theories. Thanks.
I get this message from what both of you said. C is based on multilayered reasoning kind of.. which is common in the other og-700 level questions. In this unique one you essentially assess the options by asking WHAT led to the fact in the option? Then the WHAT has an answer that provides alternative cause to somthing in the premise... EVEN THOUGH what led to reduced hour, efficient process, might not necessarily offset the reduced output but the fact that it might is enough of a good assumption. am I right? cos if it MUST then it wouldn't be an assumption but an inference. And also, EVEN THOUGH this particular alternative cause didn't totally disprove the other cause(it didn't suggest slightly that both didn't play. it didn't show/suggest that the improved process totally offset output reduction such that no need for V import. We just assumed it). I get it.
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.

HKD1710 your question stamp thing. is it for real? I'll check it.

1 KUDOS received
D

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 02:50
This post received
KUDOS
Nez wrote:
ASSUMPTION FLUX
Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma. Your explanation isn't very dissimilar from HKD1710's.
I get this message from what both of you said. C is based on multilayered reasoning kind of.. which is common in the other og-700 level questions. In this unique one you essentially assess the options by asking WHAT led to the fact in the option? Then the WHAT has an answer that provides alternative cause to somthing in the premise... EVEN THOUGH what led to reduced hour, efficient process, might not necessarily offset the reduced output but the fact that it might is enough of a good assumption. am I right? cos if it MUST then it wouldn't be an assumption but an inference. And also, EVEN THOUGH this particular alternative cause didn't totally disprove the other cause(it didn't suggest slightly that both didn't play. it didn't show/suggest that the improved process totally offset output reduction such that no need for V import. We just assumed it). I get it.
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.

Quote:

Yes this is 100% correct. No assumption in this at least. :D, Well this from my notes that i made after reading reading reading. BUT i have zero percent doubt on its validity. Apply in all the assumption based question and apply the thinking process which i have suggested. After 10-15 question you will see that at least 30 sec is saved.

Now let me come to your doubt:
Quote:

Doesn't the following which i mentioned in the first explanation help answering the above?
Quote:
Of course MOST of the times (at least me) cannot come up with anything on pre-thinking BUT i get know what parameters are there and how are they related.

See after practice we are able to find the assumption. but for tough questions, coming up with almost exact assumption is really crucial.

The point to note here is YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COME UP (most of the times) with a fact that would attack the conclusion and the same would present in answer choices, BUT you have to think about PARAMETERS SO THAT YOU CAN EASILY RECOGNIZE THE CORRECT CHOICE.

Best way to tackle an assumption question is following the below points in order:

1. Keep the concepts in mind.
2. Use them to bring out the crux of the argument.
3. Note down (in mind) all the parameters, which argument is based on.
4. Now probably if you have not come up with any assumption then just look at the choices.
5. Glance over the choices for POE. Pick up those choices first that involve "negative words or any word that helps writing an unstated promise TO DEFEND the conclusion (as i said earlier)".
6. when you are not too firm and are stuck b/w two choices (of course if you have time to spare another 15-20 sec) then do NEGATION test. Negation test is REMEDY for assumptions. i wont say you can do without it but it brings surety and firmness about the right choice being right.

Hope this brings more clarity and conceptual understanding :)

Target - 720-740

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6103 [1], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 03:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

hi,
So let me take C..

Hi chetan2u

I got your point.
But even in this case, how can that job immigration help our conclusion explaining the increase in imported TVs from vernland?
The concept that assembler in B could not move to C is my assumption which is proved false by you. But again how do we know whether they moved to somewhere else or only vernland. We have no info regarding the decrease in number of assemblers right?

HI Nevernevergiveup,
just few points..
1) I had written earlier post to just show that average hourly can be connected to immigration of the assembler..
2) Secondly I did write that that C is not very convincing but still the best.
3) Now if I had to answer this my logic is-

Everything till the CONCLUSION is a FACT..
so we require an assumption to connect these FACTS with the conclusion..

FACTS-

1)The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia.
2) Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed.
3)However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia.

CAN we doubt any --NO

CONCLUSION-

Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

Now my concern is not WHY and HOW and WHEN they were dropped , BUT how does it connect with the concusion?
It is if the speed of the remaining person has increased such that they are making up for the lesser number of asssemblers, then surely number of TV being assembled will become LOWER and again ASSUMPTION that they are being made up from Vernland..

Again as I said best possible but Q that can be raised..
1) we know the number of TV being produced has become LESS, But does "dropping of taxes" MEANS it cannot be from anywhere other than Vernland. How does this CHOICE connect the SHORTAGE to Vernland..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6103 [1], given: 121

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Nez wrote:
ASSUMPTION FLUX

You are over-thinking this.
Why do you assume that there is reduced output? We know that number of hours and quality of effort are two different parameters. It is certainly possible that in 1 hour, you do the same work that I do in 3 hrs. So if I worked for 3 hrs while you did for 1 hr, can I say that your output MUST BE lower than mine? Will I wonder whether your increased productivity was able to completely offset the fewer hrs you took? No. For all I know, you could have done twice the work I did. When I say "fewer hrs but better productivity", you have no idea how to compare the output. So you can't really conclude anything.

You have certain premises. On the basis of those you arrive at a conclusion. Sometimes, to arrive at a conclusion, you assume a few things. You just have to identify one of the assumptions.

How do these premises lead to the conclusion?

- 3 yrs ago, B dropped all tariffs on TVs imported from V. (here I assumed that the price of V tv is now comparable to the price of a B tv)
- But number of assemblers in B has decreased. (here I assumed that fewer tvs are getting made in B because fewer assemblers are working)

Conclusion: Trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions B imports annually from V has increased.

If I negate the assumption, this is what I get:

- Number of assemblers in B has decreased. The assemblers of B have become much more productive.

Now, is there anything I would like to conclude from the given premises? Can I say that it indicates that B is importing tvs from V? No. We don't have any indication for the same. That is how negation of an assumption breaks down the conclusion.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 08:21
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Nez wrote:
ASSUMPTION FLUX

You are over-thinking this.
Why do you assume that there is reduced output? We know that number of hours and quality of effort are two different parameters. It is certainly possible that in 1 hour, you do the same work that I do in 3 hrs. So if I worked for 3 hrs while you did for 1 hr, can I say that your output MUST BE lower than mine? Will I wonder whether your increased productivity was able to completely offset the fewer hrs you took? No. For all I know, you could have done twice the work I did. When I say "fewer hrs but better productivity", you have no idea how to compare the output. So you can't really conclude anything.

You have certain premises. On the basis of those you arrive at a conclusion. Sometimes, to arrive at a conclusion, you assume a few things. You just have to identify one of the assumptions.

How do these premises lead to the conclusion?

- 3 yrs ago, B dropped all tariffs on TVs imported from V. (here I assumed that the price of V tv is now comparable to the price of a B tv)
- But number of assemblers in B has decreased. (here I assumed that fewer tvs are getting made in B because fewer assemblers are working)

If I negate the assumption, this is what I get:

- Number of assemblers in B has decreased. The assemblers of B have become much more productive.

Now, is there anything I would like to conclude from the given premises? Can I say that it indicates that B is importing tvs from V? No. We don't have any indication for the same. That is how negation of an assumption breaks down the conclusion.

thanks VeritasPrepKarishma
You can stop now. :-D It's already clear. I wish i can repay you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 08:36
HKD1710 wrote:
Nez wrote:
ASSUMPTION FLUX

Quote:

Yes this is 100% correct. No assumption in this at least. :D, Well this from my notes that i made after reading reading reading. BUT i have zero percent doubt on its validity. Apply in all the assumption based question and apply the thinking process which i have suggested. After 10-15 question you will see that at least 30 sec is saved.

Quote:

Doesn't the following which i mentioned in the first explanation help answering the above?
Quote:
Of course MOST of the times (at least me) cannot come up with anything on pre-thinking BUT i get know what parameters are there and how are they related.

See after practice we are able to find the assumption. but for tough questions, coming up with almost exact assumption is really crucial.

The point to note here is YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COME UP (most of the times) with a fact that would attack the conclusion and the same would present in answer choices, BUT you have to think about PARAMETERS SO THAT YOU CAN EASILY RECOGNIZE THE CORRECT CHOICE.

Best way to tackle an assumption question is following the below points in order:

4. Now probably if you have not come up with any assumption then just look at the choices.
5. Glance over the choices for POE. Pick up those choices first that involve "negative words or any word that helps writing an unstated promise TO DEFEND the conclusion (as i said earlier)".
6. when you are not too firm and are stuck b/w two choices (of course if you have time to spare another 15-20 sec) then do NEGATION test. Negation test is REMEDY for assumptions. i wont say you can do without it but it brings surety and firmness about the right choice being right.

HKD1710 I'm checking it right now. So far yours seem like a live gmat hack. I think i do get the almost inevitable logic behind the defender and supporter assumption key words. Please accept doxologies! hitting follow button. But i'll hit your inbox if this fails soon. So far you did a great detailed job. Few tough questions I marked in my OG seems almost childish questions right now. But i'll keep checking. I'll log in to my Manhattan student centre and excavate the CR test questions. That's the Acid test i'll give your hack tonight.

1 KUDOS received
D

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Nez wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
Nez wrote:
ASSUMPTION FLUX

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HKD1710 I'm checking it right now. So far yours seem like a live gmat hack. I think i do get the almost inevitable logic behind the defender and supporter assumption key words. Please accept doxologies! hitting follow button. But i'll hit your inbox if this fails soon. So far you did a great detailed job. Few tough questions I marked in my OG seems almost childish questions right now. But i'll keep checking. I'll log in to my Manhattan student centre and excavate the CR test questions. That's the Acid test i'll give your hack tonight.

Exactly!!! After you do those many questions you would not need to remember these key words to differentiate b/w the two kind of assumptions. It feels wonderfl to hear that it is helping. Bring me any thing you come up with. keep going :)

Target - 720-740

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 03:05
Hi HKD1710
Unsurprisingly, manhattanGMAT prep knows this too well. your keyword wasnt 100% full proof. But insterestingly, the options in SUPPORTER assumption (SA) and the options in DA so far follows your finding. The SA so far are not in negative. The DA so far have remained in negative. But do you know the funny part? M-GMAT places too many options in such negative forms so as to cornfuse you and get you to think which is good. These DAs so far are in more closely knit argument while SAs are in loose arguments with shouting logic gaps but then the key word thing didnt quite follow 100%. But it's been like 98%. Neat!

Check your inbox for further details...

Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2016, 03:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 140 posts ] 

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap