It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 18:02
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
this is the correct answer for the question for the argument since this choice impacts the most on the outcomes.

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 17

CAT Tests
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 00:03
please explain why the answer is C and not A

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 17

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17365 [0], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 20:36
shweta234 wrote:
please explain why the answer is C and not A

Check:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-average- ... l#p1668687

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17365 [0], given: 232

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 161

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 10:52
marshpa wrote:
Well its one of the most toughest CR i have seen. +1 to you.
My Pick is C
Premise1: However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers
in Borodia.
Concluson: Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of
televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

Recently I have learned for assumption questions, focus on premise. Now lets use negate theory to find the answers. Only C and D are relevant.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased
significantly during the past three years.
If this is not true then conclusion will fail but still premise will hold true.
C.The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble
a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
If this is not true then both premise and conclusion will fail. Hence my Pick.

How is the conclusion failing on negating the option C? please provide description of that situation.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 796 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 07:20
TaN1213 wrote:
How is the conclusion failing on negating the option C? please provide description of that situation.

Hi TaN1213 ,

The conclusion is saying one country has started imported from other country. The premise is the number of assemblers have decreased while the demand is still the same.

It means it is assuming that if one assembler used to take 2 hours to assemble one TV previously, he will still take the same time. This is what option C is saying.

Let's negate option C.

C.The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.

It means earlier they used to take 2 hours but now they are taking only 1 hour. So, I can say their efficiency must have increased. Hence, they are not importing from other nations but assembling within the same nation with greater efficiency. Hence, the conclusion that they are importing it is weakened.

Let me know in case of any doubts. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 796 [0], given: 64

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 08:44
Thank you abhimahna for providing a succinct explanation to my doubt. :)

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 23:43
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a droip in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
" By atleast as much" For the imports to go up, we need the Vernland assemblers to increase more in terms of numbers than Borodia. Then only we will have increased positive effect in imports.

(B) Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
Features is not an issue here at all.

(C) The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
So, if the average number of hours are decreased, the the total production also decreases. For example, if the demand is only for 4 tv from which 2 are being produced domestically and 2 are being imported from Vernland. Now the production falls to 1 TV, and the demand continues to rise, Borodia would need one extra TV to fill in the gap. And so it will import one more TV from Vernland. I arrived on this answer through rigorous POE.

(D) The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
The production of TV being increased in Vernland does not mean that it will increase the import for Borodia. Those extra TV's could be going to XYZ country for instance.

(E) The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.
For Borodia to have an incentive to import TV's from Vernland, the hourly wage gap should increase or total day work. Otherwise, if Borodia has a price advantage that is the TV is being produced cheaply in their own domestic country with same hardware prices, where will the motivation for import come?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 22

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 21:05
this question is all about Borodia, so A and D are out. => C is correct.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 23:11
Hi,
Can someone please give me an explanation for that question and answer key. i am not able to understand

Last edited by abhimahna on 18 Jul 2017, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Merged Post. Please search for the question on forum before posting.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 73

CAT Tests
Re: CR OG 2017 Qn 657 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 23:21
Hi Anazeer ,

Please go through the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-average- ... 24622.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 73

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 43

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 15:59
(D) The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.

The above does not defend the argument. Even if it was false, the argument can hold.
scenarios:
The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly only during the past(last) year?
The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has remained steady during the past three years (and the the sale outside Borodia decreased)?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 43

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
The average hourly wage of television assemblers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 03:56
The average age of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than in the neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold anually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers Borodia. Therefore, updated traffic statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland. has increased

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A) The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by atleast as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.

B) Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.

C) The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.

D) The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.

E) The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.

Last edited by broall on 10 Sep 2017, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

The average hourly wage of television assemblers   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2017, 03:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 92 posts ] 

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap