GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1162
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 07:31
Nez wrote:
I'm yet to see the link btween the answer and the argument.
average number of hours... was that discussed?
There must be a link but I'm yet to get it.

May be there is an economics I missed

Posted from my mobile device


Nez

This is regarding your query.
I Analysed the argument first as below.
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 49.79 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]


What can be reason for this Conclusion?

No change in Total sales and
reduction in labor.

Assumptions that must account for the conclusion

    Either skill must have improved i.e., less people are able to assemble more TVs then before 3 yrs
    OR
    the possible reduction in number of TVs due to reduction in assemblers has been supported with imported TVs from Vernland........i.e., conclusion.

So skill related assumption mentioned above must be false............i.e., C.
I hope this helps. :)
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 338
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 08:01
Nevernevergiveup
This is clear from the word go.
My prethink assumption was MORE TVs were imported from vernland to make the sales remain same.
That's obvious.
How does that relate to C (average hour used to assembly TV...) I.e. how long it takes to assembly a TV in Borod. folks here must think I'm an idiot or something. but believe me I'm struggling to establish the logical link.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 338
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 08:29
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Nez wrote:
Nevernevergiveup
This is clear from the word go.
My prethink assumption was MORE TVs were imported from vernland to make the sales remain same.
That's obvious.
How does that relate to C (average hour used to assembly TV...) I.e. how long it takes to assembly a TV in Borod. folks here must think I'm an idiot or something. but believe me I'm struggling to establish the logical link.

Posted from my mobile device



If you still have a doubt, best weapon to test the assumption is to negate it.
Try to negate C and then observe the conclusion to collapse.


Just read the link.
It's rehashed what I already know.
If time used to produce a TV in Borodia has reduced, to which point in the conclusion does that provide alternative cause?
That's essentially what I've been asking aloud.
What's the causal link btween that & the conclusion?

Am I missing something?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6507
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 08:52
Nez wrote:
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Nez wrote:
Nevernevergiveup
This is clear from the word go.
My prethink assumption was MORE TVs were imported from vernland to make the sales remain same.
That's obvious.
How does that relate to C (average hour used to assembly TV...) I.e. how long it takes to assembly a TV in Borod. folks here must think I'm an idiot or something. but believe me I'm struggling to establish the logical link.

Posted from my mobile device




If you still have a doubt, best weapon to test the assumption is to negate it.
Try to negate C and then observe the conclusion to collapse.


Just read the link.
It's rehashed what I already know.
If time used to produce a TV in Borodia has reduced, to which point in the conclusion does that provide alternative cause?
That's essentially what I've been asking aloud.
What's the causal link btween that & the conclusion?

Am I missing something?


hi,
This might be the first time I have come across a OG Q which is not very convincing..
Yes, in the given choices C may be the best ..
So let me take C..
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
If the Borodian television assembler have started taking lesser time, why should it translate into fewer assembler?
Yes it would mean lesser hour spent on assembling ..

there is a point mentioned above that assembler will not shift to V because hourly wages are lesser as compared to B..
but if B was getting paid $7 per hour and was assembling 1 TV, whereas in V, they were getting $4 and were also assembling 1 tv in one hour..
But B has become more efficient and is now assembling 2 tv..
B is getting paid $3.5 per TV whereas C is getting $4 per TV..
Now yes the assembler in B could move to C
..
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1059
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 09:21
1
1
Nez wrote:
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Nez wrote:
Nevernevergiveup
This is clear from the word go.
My prethink assumption was MORE TVs were imported from vernland to make the sales remain same.
That's obvious.
How does that relate to C (average hour used to assembly TV...) I.e. how long it takes to assembly a TV in Borod. folks here must think I'm an idiot or something. but believe me I'm struggling to establish the logical link.

Posted from my mobile device




If you still have a doubt, best weapon to test the assumption is to negate it.
Try to negate C and then observe the conclusion to collapse.

Nevernevergiveup
I tried negating it and the conclusion became more powerful and inevitable.
If it takes them more time to make a telly then they would produce less TV and that's more reason Vernland has to come in so that sales remains same.

Am I missing something?


Hi Nez,

I have tried to cover it with my understanding. hope it helps:

This is defender assumption question. Definition (in my own words)

Defender assumption : it means when you conclude something from the information (premises) given, then any information that a critique/lay-man may use to attack/break that conclusion is what you have to defend the conclusion with by saying NO "this is not the case".

So defender assumption is that unstated premise, which the critque may use to attack and you would negate that infor to defend the conclusion.

V=Vernland, B=Borodia

FACT(Premise-1) : Avg hourly wage of V is less than B.

FACT(Premise-2) : Since B dropped Tariffs (charges levied on import of goods) on V's TVs, the #ofTVs sold has not changed.

FACT(premise-3) : Number of assemblers is dropped in B.

Conclusion : Number of TVs imports annualy has increased from V.

Explanation:
I am critique who is good at stats and just by looking at this argument i come and attack this conclusion by saying --->"The technology has increased and has been helping the assemblers so well that they can now assemble a TV in 10 hours which used to take 20 hours 3 years before. So companies in B has dropped the number of assemblers by half who can assemble as many number of TVs as previously assembled. It means that the reason for "the #ofTVs sold has not changed." is the new technology in B not that B has increased import from V.

So this is the information on which argument DEPENDS. Because its not stated as a premise hence it is ASSUMPTION. So if you as the writer tell this/add this in argument then your conclusion is just safe from THIS one particular attack.

Now how to apply this:
Whenever you try to pre-think or paraphrase, just try to think of the key things/points that may attack the conclusion. These points are related to main parameters of argument. In this questions these parameters are hourly wages, number assembler, number of television and average. Of course MOST of the times (at least me) cannot come up with anything on pre-thinking BUT i get know what parameters are there and how are they related.
Now this is very important atleast for someone who is preparing for the GMAT that s/he knows what can impact average, what can imapct number or what can impact hours or what can impact wages when all of these are related.

So when i was doing this question I could not paraphrase anything but the moment i saw hours in the choice i kept it safe and read other choices. took a little long but this was the real attacker.

For defender assumption most of the you will see that a answer choice using negative word is correct. so pick such choices first.WHY? "because you are saying this my conclusion and yeah this is NOT the case if u attack me with it." (general understanding).

Hope it helps :)
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1162
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 10:10
1
chetan2u wrote:

hi,
This might be the first time I have come across a OG Q which is not very convincing..
Yes, in the given choices C may be the best ..
So let me take C..
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
If the Borodian television assembler have started taking lesser time, why should it translate into fewer assembler?
Yes it would mean lesser hour spent on assembling ..

there is a point mentioned above that assembler will not shift to V because hourly wages are lesser as compared to B..
but if B was getting paid $7 per hour and was assembling 1 TV, whereas in V, they were getting $4 and were also assembling 1 tv in one hour..
But B has become more efficient and is now assembling 2 tv..
B is getting paid $3.5 per TV whereas C is getting $4 per TV..
Now yes the assembler in B could move to C
..


Hi chetan2u

I got your point.
But even in this case, how can that job immigration help our conclusion explaining the increase in imported TVs from vernland?
The concept that assembler in B could not move to C is my assumption which is proved false by you. But again how do we know whether they moved to somewhere else or only vernland. We have no info regarding the decrease in number of assemblers right?
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 338
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 13:47
Quote:

I have tried to cover it with my understanding. hope it helps:

This is defender assumption question. Definition (in my own words)

Defender assumption : it means when you conclude something from the information (premises) given, then any information that a critique/lay-man may use to attack/break that conclusion is what you have to defend the conclusion with by saying NO "this is not the case".

So defender assumption is that unstated premise, which the critque may use to attack and you would negate that infor to defend the conclusion.

V=Vernland, B=Borodia

FACT(Premise-1) : Avg hourly wage of V is less than B.

FACT(Premise-2) : Since B dropped Tariffs (charges levied on import of goods) on V's TVs, the #ofTVs sold has not changed.

FACT(premise-3) : Number of assemblers is dropped in B.

Conclusion : Number of TVs imports annualy has increased from V.

Explanation:
I am critique who is good at stats and just by looking at this argument i come and attack this conclusion by saying --->"The technology has increased and has been helping the assemblers so well that they can now assemble a TV in 10 hours which used to take 20 hours 3 years before. So companies in B has dropped the number of assemblers by half who can assemble as many number of TVs as previously assembled. It means that the reason for "the #ofTVs sold has not changed." is the new technology in B not that B has increased import from V.

So this is the information on which argument DEPENDS. Because its not stated as a premise hence it is ASSUMPTION. So if you as the writer tell this/add this in argument then your conclusion is just safe from THIS one particular attack.

Now how to apply this:
Whenever you try to pre-think or paraphrase, just try to think of the key things/points that may attack the conclusion. These points are related to main parameters of argument. In this questions these parameters are hourly wages, number assembler, number of television and average. Of course MOST of the times (at least me) cannot come up with anything on pre-thinking BUT i get know what parameters are there and how are they related.
Now this is very important atleast for someone who is preparing for the GMAT that s/he knows what can impact average, what can imapct number or what can impact hours or what can impact wages when all of these are related.

So when i was doing this question I could not paraphrase anything but the moment i saw hours in the choice i kept it safe and read other choices. took a little long but this was the real attacker.

For defender assumption most of the you will see that a answer choice using negative word is correct. so pick such choices first.WHY? "because you are saying this my conclusion and yeah this is NOT the case if u attack me with it." (general understanding).

Hope it helps :)

HKD1710
Thanks for the new dimension though vulnerable but it helped. So I must ask WHAT IS THE POSSIBLE CAUSE OF THE EVENT? INCREASED TECH.. THEN I'LL ASSUME UPON IT THAT THE INCREASED TECH ALSO INCREASED PRODUCTION HENCE SALES. *hhmmm*
The tip you mentioned about a negated option. Is it for real? Isn't GMAC smarter than that?

Ladies & gentlemen this is one hellovakweshon from OG.13. No two explainers have explained same thing!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8184
Location: Pune, India
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 23:06
3
2
linker wrote:
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.


The question seems to be giving a lot of pain but actually, it is absolutely fine. As expected, OG does not falter here too.
Forget everything you have read about this question before and look at it with fresh eyes:

Premises:
- The hourly wage of assemblers in V is much lower than that in B.
- 3 yrs ago, B dropped all tariffs on TVs imported from V.
- Number of TVs sold annually in B is same.
- But number of assemblers in B has decreased.

Conclusion: Trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions B imports annually from V has increased.

The conclusion might look logical but is full of assumptions.
Why logical? Wages in V are lower (so seems like TVs are cheaper in V). B dropped all tariffs on import (so no artificial inflation of TV prices ofV) . Number of TVs sold in B has not dropped but number of assemblers in B has dropped (looks like fewer TVs are getting made in B).
An onlooker might conclude that B is importing more TVs from V because they are cheaper.

But here are some assumptions:
- The cost of a TV in V is lower because assembler's wage is lower. What if the raw material cost is higher in V? Or other costs are higher? The cost of a V TV could actually be higher than the cost of a B TV.
- Fewer TVs are getting made in B. Assemblers in B have not become more productive. What if fewer assemblers are needed because they can complete assembly process much faster? The number of TVs sold is the same. If each assembler is doing more work, fewer assemblers will be needed. In that case, the number of TVs getting made in B might have stayed the same.

Look at the options:

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
Not required by the conclusion. Perhaps number of TVs being sold in V has actually reduced and more are getting exported to B. SO overall number of TVs being made is the same.

B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
Not required by the conclusion. The TVs could be exactly the same. They could be cheaper because of which they could be getting imported from V.

C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
This is an assumption. We are assuming that the reduction in the number of assemblers is not because of an increase in the productivity of the assemblers. If the assemblers have got more productive, the number of TVs produced could be the same and hence the import would not have increased.

D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
Not required by the conclusion. Perhaps number of TVs being sold in V has actually reduced and more are getting exported to B. So overall number of TVs being made is the same.

E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.
Not required by the conclusion. What happens to the hourly wages of assemblers in V and B in future is not a concern for this in this argument. We are only concerned about what has been happening in the last 3 yrs.

Answer (C)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1059
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 23:27
1
1
Hi Nez
Quote:
new dimension though vulnerable
Mention of ‘vulnerability’ is good, It’s expression would be Better. Please share, I am sure it will help me bring unstated facts :P

Quote:
The tip you mentioned about a negated option. Is it for real? Isn't GMAC smarter than that?

Of course GMAT is way smarter. But as well know it’s all about PATTERNS in questions. So what I said is likely to be the case. I also said MOST (51%) of the times you will see this.

Having said that I think I have more data to give you clear picture of why assumptions are there and how many kinds of assumptions are relevant in GMAT and how would you recognize them and how would it help you answer them.


ASSUMPTIONS: There are two kind of assumptions.
1. Supporter Assumptions
2. Defender Assumptions


See, How convenient are these names that they themselves suggest the real meaning.

Supporter assumption is required for weak arguments and Defender assumption is required for strong arguments and NO assumption for just FACT based arguments (arguments that has no conclusion).

For Weak argument, you need some information to fill the GAP i.e. missing link between the premise and conclusion. Whereas, for Strong argument, you need some information that helps maintain the strong bond between the premise and conclusion. (This is the key reason negative words or any word that helps writing an unstated promise TO DEFEND the conclusion from attack is generally found in the correct answer choice).

If you identify whether it is a supporter assumption or defender assumption real fast then you can make your mind up while reading whether you need to find out the missing link OR think of the possible attacks.

So, How do we identify whether its supporter or defender assumption? Following keywords in Question stamp would help:

Enables, supports, allows, helps, accounts are the key words for SUPPORTER ASSUMOPTION.

Depends on, required, relies, assumes, necessary, based are some keywords for DEFENDER ASSUMPTION.

_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 338
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 00:57
ASSUMPTION FLUX
Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma. Your explanation isn't very dissimilar from HKD1710's.
Just that yours lacked debilitating theories. Thanks.
I get this message from what both of you said. C is based on multilayered reasoning kind of.. which is common in the other og-700 level questions. In this unique one you essentially assess the options by asking WHAT led to the fact in the option? Then the WHAT has an answer that provides alternative cause to somthing in the premise... EVEN THOUGH what led to reduced hour, efficient process, might not necessarily offset the reduced output but the fact that it might is enough of a good assumption. am I right? cos if it MUST then it wouldn't be an assumption but an inference. And also, EVEN THOUGH this particular alternative cause didn't totally disprove the other cause(it didn't suggest slightly that both didn't play. it didn't show/suggest that the improved process totally offset output reduction such that no need for V import. We just assumed it). I get it.
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.

HKD1710 your question stamp thing. is it for real? I'll check it.
Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1059
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 02:50
1
Nez wrote:
ASSUMPTION FLUX
Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma. Your explanation isn't very dissimilar from HKD1710's.
Just that yours lacked debilitating theories. Thanks.
I get this message from what both of you said. C is based on multilayered reasoning kind of.. which is common in the other og-700 level questions. In this unique one you essentially assess the options by asking WHAT led to the fact in the option? Then the WHAT has an answer that provides alternative cause to somthing in the premise... EVEN THOUGH what led to reduced hour, efficient process, might not necessarily offset the reduced output but the fact that it might is enough of a good assumption. am I right? cos if it MUST then it wouldn't be an assumption but an inference. And also, EVEN THOUGH this particular alternative cause didn't totally disprove the other cause(it didn't suggest slightly that both didn't play. it didn't show/suggest that the improved process totally offset output reduction such that no need for V import. We just assumed it). I get it.
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.

HKD1710 your question stamp thing. is it for real? I'll check it.


Quote:
HKD1710 your question stamp thing. is it for real? I'll check it.


Yes this is 100% correct. No assumption in this at least. :D, Well this from my notes that i made after reading reading reading. BUT i have zero percent doubt on its validity. Apply in all the assumption based question and apply the thinking process which i have suggested. After 10-15 question you will see that at least 30 sec is saved.

Now let me come to your doubt:
Quote:
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.


Doesn't the following which i mentioned in the first explanation help answering the above?
Quote:
Of course MOST of the times (at least me) cannot come up with anything on pre-thinking BUT i get know what parameters are there and how are they related.


See after practice we are able to find the assumption. but for tough questions, coming up with almost exact assumption is really crucial.

The point to note here is YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COME UP (most of the times) with a fact that would attack the conclusion and the same would present in answer choices, BUT you have to think about PARAMETERS SO THAT YOU CAN EASILY RECOGNIZE THE CORRECT CHOICE.


Best way to tackle an assumption question is following the below points in order:

1. Keep the concepts in mind.
2. Use them to bring out the crux of the argument.
3. Note down (in mind) all the parameters, which argument is based on.
4. Now probably if you have not come up with any assumption then just look at the choices.
5. Glance over the choices for POE. Pick up those choices first that involve "negative words or any word that helps writing an unstated promise TO DEFEND the conclusion (as i said earlier)".
6. when you are not too firm and are stuck b/w two choices (of course if you have time to spare another 15-20 sec) then do NEGATION test. Negation test is REMEDY for assumptions. i wont say you can do without it but it brings surety and firmness about the right choice being right.

Hope this brings more clarity and conceptual understanding :)
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6507
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 03:59
1
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

hi,
This might be the first time I have come across a OG Q which is not very convincing..
Yes, in the given choices C may be the best ..
So let me take C..
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
If the Borodian television assembler have started taking lesser time, why should it translate into fewer assembler?
Yes it would mean lesser hour spent on assembling ..

there is a point mentioned above that assembler will not shift to V because hourly wages are lesser as compared to B..
but if B was getting paid $7 per hour and was assembling 1 TV, whereas in V, they were getting $4 and were also assembling 1 tv in one hour..
But B has become more efficient and is now assembling 2 tv..
B is getting paid $3.5 per TV whereas C is getting $4 per TV..
Now yes the assembler in B could move to C
..


Hi chetan2u

I got your point.
But even in this case, how can that job immigration help our conclusion explaining the increase in imported TVs from vernland?
The concept that assembler in B could not move to C is my assumption which is proved false by you. But again how do we know whether they moved to somewhere else or only vernland. We have no info regarding the decrease in number of assemblers right?


HI Nevernevergiveup,
just few points..
1) I had written earlier post to just show that average hourly can be connected to immigration of the assembler..
2) Secondly I did write that that C is not very convincing but still the best.
3) Now if I had to answer this my logic is-


Everything till the CONCLUSION is a FACT..
so we require an assumption to connect these FACTS with the conclusion..

FACTS-


1)The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia.
2) Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed.
3)However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia.

CAN we doubt any --NO

CONCLUSION-


Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

Now my concern is not WHY and HOW and WHEN they were dropped , BUT how does it connect with the concusion?
It is if the speed of the remaining person has increased such that they are making up for the lesser number of asssemblers, then surely number of TV being assembled will become LOWER and again ASSUMPTION that they are being made up from Vernland..

Again as I said best possible but Q that can be raised..
1) we know the number of TV being produced has become LESS, But does "dropping of taxes" MEANS it cannot be from anywhere other than Vernland. How does this CHOICE connect the SHORTAGE to Vernland..
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8184
Location: Pune, India
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 05:39
2
Nez wrote:
ASSUMPTION FLUX
Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma. Your explanation isn't very dissimilar from HKD1710's.
Just that yours lacked debilitating theories. Thanks.
I get this message from what both of you said. C is based on multilayered reasoning kind of.. which is common in the other og-700 level questions. In this unique one you essentially assess the options by asking WHAT led to the fact in the option? Then the WHAT has an answer that provides alternative cause to somthing in the premise... EVEN THOUGH what led to reduced hour, efficient process, might not necessarily offset the reduced output but the fact that it might is enough of a good assumption. am I right? cos if it MUST then it wouldn't be an assumption but an inference. And also, EVEN THOUGH this particular alternative cause didn't totally disprove the other cause(it didn't suggest slightly that both didn't play. it didn't show/suggest that the improved process totally offset output reduction such that no need for V import. We just assumed it). I get it.
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.

HKD1710 your question stamp thing. is it for real? I'll check it.


You are over-thinking this.
Why do you assume that there is reduced output? We know that number of hours and quality of effort are two different parameters. It is certainly possible that in 1 hour, you do the same work that I do in 3 hrs. So if I worked for 3 hrs while you did for 1 hr, can I say that your output MUST BE lower than mine? Will I wonder whether your increased productivity was able to completely offset the fewer hrs you took? No. For all I know, you could have done twice the work I did. When I say "fewer hrs but better productivity", you have no idea how to compare the output. So you can't really conclude anything.

You have certain premises. On the basis of those you arrive at a conclusion. Sometimes, to arrive at a conclusion, you assume a few things. You just have to identify one of the assumptions.

How do these premises lead to the conclusion?

- The hourly wage of assemblers in V is much lower than that in B.
- 3 yrs ago, B dropped all tariffs on TVs imported from V. (here I assumed that the price of V tv is now comparable to the price of a B tv)
- Number of TVs sold annually in B is same.
- But number of assemblers in B has decreased. (here I assumed that fewer tvs are getting made in B because fewer assemblers are working)

Conclusion: Trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions B imports annually from V has increased.

If I negate the assumption, this is what I get:

- The hourly wage of assemblers in V is much lower than that in B.
- 3 yrs ago, B dropped all tariffs on TVs imported from V.
- Number of TVs sold annually in B is same.
- Number of assemblers in B has decreased. The assemblers of B have become much more productive.

Now, is there anything I would like to conclude from the given premises? Can I say that it indicates that B is importing tvs from V? No. We don't have any indication for the same. That is how negation of an assumption breaks down the conclusion.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 338
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 08:21
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Nez wrote:
ASSUMPTION FLUX
Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma. Your explanation isn't very dissimilar from HKD1710's.
Just that yours lacked debilitating theories. Thanks.
I get this message from what both of you said. C is based on multilayered reasoning kind of.. which is common in the other og-700 level questions. In this unique one you essentially assess the options by asking WHAT led to the fact in the option? Then the WHAT has an answer that provides alternative cause to somthing in the premise... EVEN THOUGH what led to reduced hour, efficient process, might not necessarily offset the reduced output but the fact that it might is enough of a good assumption. am I right? cos if it MUST then it wouldn't be an assumption but an inference. And also, EVEN THOUGH this particular alternative cause didn't totally disprove the other cause(it didn't suggest slightly that both didn't play. it didn't show/suggest that the improved process totally offset output reduction such that no need for V import. We just assumed it). I get it.
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.

HKD1710 your question stamp thing. is it for real? I'll check it.


You are over-thinking this.
Why do you assume that there is reduced output? We know that number of hours and quality of effort are two different parameters. It is certainly possible that in 1 hour, you do the same work that I do in 3 hrs. So if I worked for 3 hrs while you did for 1 hr, can I say that your output MUST BE lower than mine? Will I wonder whether your increased productivity was able to completely offset the fewer hrs you took? No. For all I know, you could have done twice the work I did. When I say "fewer hrs but better productivity", you have no idea how to compare the output. So you can't really conclude anything.

You have certain premises. On the basis of those you arrive at a conclusion. Sometimes, to arrive at a conclusion, you assume a few things. You just have to identify one of the assumptions.

How do these premises lead to the conclusion?

- The hourly wage of assemblers in V is much lower than that in B.
- 3 yrs ago, B dropped all tariffs on TVs imported from V. (here I assumed that the price of V tv is now comparable to the price of a B tv)
- Number of TVs sold annually in B is same.
- But number of assemblers in B has decreased. (here I assumed that fewer tvs are getting made in B because fewer assemblers are working)

Conclusion: Trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions B imports annually from V has increased.

If I negate the assumption, this is what I get:

- The hourly wage of assemblers in V is much lower than that in B.
- 3 yrs ago, B dropped all tariffs on TVs imported from V.
- Number of TVs sold annually in B is same.
- Number of assemblers in B has decreased. The assemblers of B have become much more productive.

Now, is there anything I would like to conclude from the given premises? Can I say that it indicates that B is importing tvs from V? No. We don't have any indication for the same. That is how negation of an assumption breaks down the conclusion.

thanks VeritasPrepKarishma
You can stop now. :-D It's already clear. I wish i can repay you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 338
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 08:36
HKD1710 wrote:
Nez wrote:
ASSUMPTION FLUX
Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma. Your explanation isn't very dissimilar from HKD1710's.
Just that yours lacked debilitating theories. Thanks.
I get this message from what both of you said. C is based on multilayered reasoning kind of.. which is common in the other og-700 level questions. In this unique one you essentially assess the options by asking WHAT led to the fact in the option? Then the WHAT has an answer that provides alternative cause to somthing in the premise... EVEN THOUGH what led to reduced hour, efficient process, might not necessarily offset the reduced output but the fact that it might is enough of a good assumption. am I right? cos if it MUST then it wouldn't be an assumption but an inference. And also, EVEN THOUGH this particular alternative cause didn't totally disprove the other cause(it didn't suggest slightly that both didn't play. it didn't show/suggest that the improved process totally offset output reduction such that no need for V import. We just assumed it). I get it.
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.

HKD1710 your question stamp thing. is it for real? I'll check it.


Quote:
HKD1710 your question stamp thing. is it for real? I'll check it.


Yes this is 100% correct. No assumption in this at least. :D, Well this from my notes that i made after reading reading reading. BUT i have zero percent doubt on its validity. Apply in all the assumption based question and apply the thinking process which i have suggested. After 10-15 question you will see that at least 30 sec is saved.

Now let me come to your doubt:
Quote:
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.


Doesn't the following which i mentioned in the first explanation help answering the above?
Quote:
Of course MOST of the times (at least me) cannot come up with anything on pre-thinking BUT i get know what parameters are there and how are they related.


See after practice we are able to find the assumption. but for tough questions, coming up with almost exact assumption is really crucial.

The point to note here is YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COME UP (most of the times) with a fact that would attack the conclusion and the same would present in answer choices, BUT you have to think about PARAMETERS SO THAT YOU CAN EASILY RECOGNIZE THE CORRECT CHOICE.


Best way to tackle an assumption question is following the below points in order:

1. Keep the concepts in mind.
2. Use them to bring out the crux of the argument.
3. Note down (in mind) all the parameters, which argument is based on.
4. Now probably if you have not come up with any assumption then just look at the choices.
5. Glance over the choices for POE. Pick up those choices first that involve "negative words or any word that helps writing an unstated promise TO DEFEND the conclusion (as i said earlier)".
6. when you are not too firm and are stuck b/w two choices (of course if you have time to spare another 15-20 sec) then do NEGATION test. Negation test is REMEDY for assumptions. i wont say you can do without it but it brings surety and firmness about the right choice being right.

Hope this brings more clarity and conceptual understanding :)

HKD1710 I'm checking it right now. So far yours seem like a live gmat hack. I think i do get the almost inevitable logic behind the defender and supporter assumption key words. Please accept doxologies! hitting follow button. But i'll hit your inbox if this fails soon. So far you did a great detailed job. Few tough questions I marked in my OG seems almost childish questions right now. But i'll keep checking. I'll log in to my Manhattan student centre and excavate the CR test questions. That's the Acid test i'll give your hack tonight.
Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1059
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 09:49
1
Nez wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
Nez wrote:
ASSUMPTION FLUX
Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma. Your explanation isn't very dissimilar from HKD1710's.
Just that yours lacked debilitating theories. Thanks.
I get this message from what both of you said. C is based on multilayered reasoning kind of.. which is common in the other og-700 level questions. In this unique one you essentially assess the options by asking WHAT led to the fact in the option? Then the WHAT has an answer that provides alternative cause to somthing in the premise... EVEN THOUGH what led to reduced hour, efficient process, might not necessarily offset the reduced output but the fact that it might is enough of a good assumption. am I right? cos if it MUST then it wouldn't be an assumption but an inference. And also, EVEN THOUGH this particular alternative cause didn't totally disprove the other cause(it didn't suggest slightly that both didn't play. it didn't show/suggest that the improved process totally offset output reduction such that no need for V import. We just assumed it). I get it.
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.

HKD1710 your question stamp thing. is it for real? I'll check it.


Quote:
HKD1710 your question stamp thing. is it for real? I'll check it.


Yes this is 100% correct. No assumption in this at least. :D, Well this from my notes that i made after reading reading reading. BUT i have zero percent doubt on its validity. Apply in all the assumption based question and apply the thinking process which i have suggested. After 10-15 question you will see that at least 30 sec is saved.

Now let me come to your doubt:
Quote:
What I didn't get is folks telling me negating C made the conclusion to crumble. Where did they get that from? it didn't work like that.


Doesn't the following which i mentioned in the first explanation help answering the above?
Quote:
Of course MOST of the times (at least me) cannot come up with anything on pre-thinking BUT i get know what parameters are there and how are they related.


See after practice we are able to find the assumption. but for tough questions, coming up with almost exact assumption is really crucial.

The point to note here is YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COME UP (most of the times) with a fact that would attack the conclusion and the same would present in answer choices, BUT you have to think about PARAMETERS SO THAT YOU CAN EASILY RECOGNIZE THE CORRECT CHOICE.


Best way to tackle an assumption question is following the below points in order:

1. Keep the concepts in mind.
2. Use them to bring out the crux of the argument.
3. Note down (in mind) all the parameters, which argument is based on.
4. Now probably if you have not come up with any assumption then just look at the choices.
5. Glance over the choices for POE. Pick up those choices first that involve "negative words or any word that helps writing an unstated promise TO DEFEND the conclusion (as i said earlier)".
6. when you are not too firm and are stuck b/w two choices (of course if you have time to spare another 15-20 sec) then do NEGATION test. Negation test is REMEDY for assumptions. i wont say you can do without it but it brings surety and firmness about the right choice being right.

Hope this brings more clarity and conceptual understanding :)

HKD1710 I'm checking it right now. So far yours seem like a live gmat hack. I think i do get the almost inevitable logic behind the defender and supporter assumption key words. Please accept doxologies! hitting follow button. But i'll hit your inbox if this fails soon. So far you did a great detailed job. Few tough questions I marked in my OG seems almost childish questions right now. But i'll keep checking. I'll log in to my Manhattan student centre and excavate the CR test questions. That's the Acid test i'll give your hack tonight.


Exactly!!! After you do those many questions you would not need to remember these key words to differentiate b/w the two kind of assumptions. It feels wonderfl to hear that it is helping. Bring me any thing you come up with. keep going :)
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 338
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 03:05
Hi HKD1710
Unsurprisingly, manhattanGMAT prep knows this too well. your keyword wasnt 100% full proof. But insterestingly, the options in SUPPORTER assumption (SA) and the options in DA so far follows your finding. The SA so far are not in negative. The DA so far have remained in negative. But do you know the funny part? M-GMAT places too many options in such negative forms so as to cornfuse you and get you to think which is good. These DAs so far are in more closely knit argument while SAs are in loose arguments with shouting logic gaps but then the key word thing didnt quite follow 100%. But it's been like 98%. Neat!

Check your inbox for further details...
Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1059
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 03:32
1
Nez wrote:
Hi HKD1710
Unsurprisingly, manhattanGMAT prep knows this too well. your keyword wasnt 100% full proof. But insterestingly, the options in SUPPORTER assumption (SA) and the options in DA so far follows your finding. The SA so far are not in negative. The DA so far have remained in negative. But do you know the funny part? M-GMAT places too many options in such negative forms so as to cornfuse you and get you to think which is good. These DAs so far are in more closely knit argument while SAs are in loose arguments with shouting logic gaps but then the key word thing didnt quite follow 100%. But it's been like 98%. Neat!

Check your inbox for further details...


Hi Nez,

Quote:
the options in SUPPORTER assumption (SA) and the options in DA so far follows your finding. The SA so far are not in negative.


Your finding is correct. What you have noticed is correct. The fact that "Choices having NEGATIVE words are likely to be correct" is true ONLY for DAs. WHY? Because whenever you as a author would try to defend you would SAY "NO" i.e. use some negative word in the ATTACK statement of critique.

Quote:
SAs are in loose arguments with shouting logic gaps


Supporter assumptions do not follow what is said above for DAs. So tactic so solve the SAs is just different. SAs are required for the weak arguments. An argument is week when there is a logical GAP between premise and conclusion. We call it MISSING link.

For your further knowledge and utmost clarity.

In a CR assumption question What is it these KEYWORDS helps you the most in?

These keywords tells you whether the argument is weak or strong WITHOUT EVEN READING the argument.

The moment a CR question comes up we should look at the question stamp and following is what need to do in order:
1. Read the question stamp
2. see the keyword
3. keyword helped you figured out if it is weak argument (needs SA) else strong argument (needs DA)
4. if SA is required FIND OUT THE MISSING LINK (which is the correct choice).
5. if DA is required FIND OUT THE possible attack/s.

let me help you with very common question stamps, starting with the one that you had inboxed me:

#1. Which of the following is an assumption upon which the above argument depends?

Keyword-1 : assumption --- tells you this is an assumption question
Keyword-2 : depends --- tells you that this one requires a defender assumption DA

#2. Which of the following is an assumption that supports drawing the conclusion above?

Keyword-1 : assumption --- tells you this is an assumption question
Keyword-2 : supports --- tells you that this one requires a supporter assumption SA

#3. The argument assumes which of the following?

Keyword : assumes -- tells you this is an assumtion question and needs SA.

Hope it is clear.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2015
Posts: 230
Location: South Africa
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 05:36
linker wrote:
The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long been significantly lower than that in neighboring Borodia. Since Borodia dropped all tariffs on Vernlandian televisions three years ago, the number of televisions sold annually in Borodia has not changed. However, recent statistics show a drop in the number of television assemblers in Borodia. Therefore, updated trade statistics will probably indicate that the number of televisions Borodia imports annually from Vernland has increased.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The number of television assemblers in Vernland has increased by at least as much as the number of television assemblers in Borodia has decreased.
B. Televisions assembled in Vernland have features that televisions assembled in Borodia do not have.
C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.
D. The number of televisions assembled annually in Vernland has increased significantly during the past three years.
E. The difference between the hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland and the hourly wage of television assemblers in Borodia is likely to decrease in the next few years.



The question's assumption no.1 is no. of tv proportional to no. of assemblers.

So we need to negate any other factor.

A relates to number
D does the same

But in both the cases, they are not attacking the number of assemblers and their relation to the TVs sold.

Only C attacks it
_________________

Kudos if I helped ;)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 30
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 09:39
umeshpatil wrote:
ssbisht wrote:

Borodia will be referred as B and Vernlandian as V
For Telivision assemblers:
1. hourly wage in V << hourly wage in B
2. Borodia dropped all tariffs on V televisions three years ago.

3. No of televisions sold in B =constant

Which can be written as
In Borodia :
3(a) No of TV (assembled in B) + No of TV (assembled in V) = No Change

4. number of television assemblers in B went down.

Now point 4 sates that number of television assemblers in B went down.
This will imply that if productivity of assemblers in B has not gone up then number of telivision assembled at B will go down.

But for equaltion 3(a) to hold means the import from V will have to go up.
So productiivty of assemblers in B going up is the assumption.
More the proudcitivity lesser will be the time taken to assemble the TV.
Hence Choice C is the correct answer.


+1 kudo Ssbisht,
I tried to understood your analysis. I only couldn't get the red marked line of yours(above).

Can you read what I understood? I will go by the argument serially.

1. hourly wage(V)<< hourly wage(B)
2. Barodia dropped all tariff on V TV, 3 years ago
It means V can export TVs to B in much higher volume. Barodia started importing TVs from V in higher amount after effect of no-tariff rule.
3. No of television sold (B) =constant.
Any TV sold in B can be [imported from V] OR [assembled in B itself] assuming there are no other countries exporting TVs to B.
constant= TV assembled (B) + TV assembled in (V)
C= B + V
4. Television assembled in B has gone down, it
In eq(3) if, B has gone down, V must have increased as C is fixed value.
i.e. knowing, Assemblers in B has gone down, I can say the number of TVs exported from V should have gone up.

Questions:
1. I am unable to conclude that productivity of B has gone down. ( which is assumption in choice C)
2. Does statement(1) help anywhere for the conclusion? or its just shell game to distract?


I agree till step 3. I have different opinion from step 4 onward. I also agree with CHOICE C is the best.

It is stated in the argument that number of TV assemblers has gone down in B.

Lets assume we had 10 assemblers in V and 10 Assemblers in B
Total assemblers = nV + nB = 20 assemblers.
Since there is a drop in assemblers in B, lets assume 3 assemblers are dropped.
Now remaining 7 assemblers average time to assemble TV remained same [ not decreased ]. So the 7 assemblers are stuck to their usual hrs.
So to compensate dropped assemblers work, either we need to increase the 7 assemblers productivity OR import same number of TVs from V.

C. The average number of hours it takes a Borodian television assembler to assemble a television has not decreased significantly during the past three years.

Here not decreased means remained same

Negate test :
---------------
negating option C gives average number of hours gone up and no need to import the TVs. this will break down the solution.

make sense ? I dont know whether we can classify this to 800 level pool question :?: :lol:
Re: The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long &nbs [#permalink] 06 Aug 2016, 09:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 137 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The average hourly wage of television assemblers in Vernland has long

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.