It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 09:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The average salary of the legally employed population

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 892 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The average salary of the legally employed population [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 01:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:16) correct 46% (01:27) wrong based on 140 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The average salary of the legally employed population in the country has gone up from USD 30,000 per annum to USD 43,000 per annum in the last five years. Even after accounting for inflation over these years, this rise is substantial. This increase is, at least in part, because of the manufacturing industry which employs an increasing share of the employable population.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the passage above?

A. The manufacturing industry is the biggest employer in the country.
B. The legally employable population has increased in the last five years.
C. Industries other than manufacturing have not increased their employees’ salaries in the last five years.
D. The average salary rise in industries other than manufacturing is lower than that in manufacturing.
E. If it were not for the growth in the salaries in the manufacturing industry, the average salary would have been less than 43,000 per annum today.

Source: Experts Global
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 892 [0], given: 54

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 46

Re: The average salary of the legally employed population [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 05:33
Will go with E ..as last statement says that the growth is atleast some part depends on manufacturering industry

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 08:29
E for me as well. Manufacturing industry employs majority of the employable population. Average salary will go up if the salary of the population employed by manufacturing industry goes up.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 94 [2], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
habdo wrote:
Why not A

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

IMO

last line of the argument state that : M. Industry employs an increasing share of the employable population.may be 1st year 5% , 2nd year 10%, 3rd 15%.but this may or may not make MI as top employer . In inference , one answer choice will be 100% true , without any ambiguity ...but here we are not sure ...
But at least we are sure that , some increase is because of MI .
That what E is saying ....the Avg salary would have been less without the growth of MI ...

Kudos [?]: 94 [2], given: 46

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 123

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 16:14
very confusing question...at least for me:) is it completely clear for everybody? Cuz to me, none of those can be properly inferred from the passage, it says:
legally employed population in the country has gone up from USD 30,000 per annum to USD 43,000
This increase is, at least in part, because of the manufacturing industry which employs an increasing share of the employable population.

So how the hell from the above the following is inferred If it were not for the growth in the salaries in the manufacturing industry, the average salary would have been less than 43,000 per annum today.

As to me, the only logical assumption can be made is that average salary in the manufacturing industry is above the average of the country and as the manufacturing industry became hiring more people, so the ratio of working in manufacturing industry to total employed in the country is increased, as well as increased the country average salary.

How do you thing is that a normal GMAT question?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 123

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 23:07
cbh wrote:
very confusing question...at least for me:) is it completely clear for everybody? Cuz to me, none of those can be properly inferred from the passage, it says:

legally employed population in the country has gone up from USD 30,000 per annum to USD 43,000

This increase is, at least in part, because of the manufacturing industry which employs an increasing share of the employable population.

So how the hell from the above the following is inferred If it were not for the growth in the salaries in the manufacturing industry, the average salary would have been less than 43,000 per annum today.

As to me, the only logical assumption can be made is that average salary in the manufacturing industry is above the average of the country and as the manufacturing industry became hiring more people, so the ratio of working in manufacturing industry to total employed in the country is increased, as well as increased the country average salary.

How do you thing is that a normal GMAT question?

Firstly,
Above highlighted part in green is wrong. It's not the population that has increased its the average salary that has increased.

Now, let's deconstruct the argument.
1. Average salary has increased.
2. The increase is substantial.
3. There is some input of manufacturing industry in this increase.

Try all the options again. If you are still unable to answer check out the below spoiler.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A. The manufacturing industry is the biggest employer in the country.
No mention about the size of the industry. Wrong

B. The legally employable population has increased in the last five years.
We don't know if the population is increased. Maybe population is stable and only salary has increased. Wrong

C. Industries other than manufacturing have not increased their employees’ salaries in the last five years.
We don't know this. Maybe all industries have increased the salary. Wrong

D. The average salary rise in industries other than manufacturing is lower than that in manufacturing.
We don't know this either. Wrong

E. If it were not for the growth in the salaries in the manufacturing industry, the average salary would have been less than 43,000 per annum today.
We know this for sure from the stimuli.
Stimuli says: This increase is, at least in part, because of the manufacturing industry which employs an increasing share of the employable population.

Correct option

E

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 44

Re: The average salary of the legally employed population   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2017, 23:07

The average salary of the legally employed population

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap