Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [6]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 939 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 939 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: The body has two lines ofdefense against invaders such as ba [#permalink]
Please comment on explanation:
Artificial stimulation leads to Adaptive immunity leads to treat cancer
Artificial stimulation leads to Adaptive immunity leads to NOT treating cancer.
Answer B provides such alternatives
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V23
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Conclusion of the argument: Hence, it is possible to tackle cancer if adaptive immunity can be stimulated through an external mechanism, such as by artificially injecting a stimulating agent.

So what fact do we need to validate this conclusion ? - that after injecting the agent the adaptive immunity is capable enough to fight cancer. Only then we can say that the injecting of agent was productive.

Hence answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
This is an evaluate type argument so we you are basically looking for an assumption that the author makes. begin reading the passage looking for the conclusion and the premises.

The conclusion of this argument is "it is possible to tackle cancer if adaptive immunity can be stimulated.."

The premise is that adaptive immunity is one of our body's defenses against invaders.

The assumption of this argument is that cancer is an invader similar to those listed and that adaptive immunity will work against it. (stated in another way, the assumption is that there is no problem with the plan to tackle cancer with adaptive immunity.)
blueseas wrote:
The body has two lines of defense against invaders such as bacteria, viruses and fungi: innate immunity and adaptive immunity. The first can destroy invaders partly by triggering inflammation that helps block the assault. lf germs breach that line of defense, adaptive immunity kicks in. Hence, it is possible to tackle cancer if adaptive immunity can be stimulated through an external mechanism, such as by artificially injecting a stimulating agent.

Which of tine Following will be most relevant to investigating the authors claim in the argument above?
1. Whether the most common stimulating mechanisms can trigger adaptive immunity that once triggered counters cancer.the question does not talk about most common and thus limiting the answer choice means that the answer is not correct[color=#0000ff][color=#0000ff][/color][/color]
2. Whether once triggered, the body‘: adaptive immunity is strong enough to tackle cancer.this is the correct answer and directly deals with the assumption
3. Whether other deadly diseases such as AIDS. diabetes, etc be tackled in the same manner as cancer.the passage is concerned with cancer, not other deadly diseases so this is beyond the argument and not the correct answer
4. Whether tackling cancer would have a significant enough impact on overall health care costs to offset the expense to develop the stimulant.this argument does not
5. Whether is it possible to strengthen innate immunity to tackle cancer.this is a good second choice, but B is better because it discusses the triggering as well

I am confused .I think that the argument also assumes that Cancer will breach innate immunity?? so in that case even B is good.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Hence, it is possible to tackle cancer if adaptive immunity can be stimulated through an external mechanism, such as by artificially injecting a stimulating agent.

Which of tine Following will be most relevant to investigating the authors claim in the argument above?
1. Whether the most common stimulating mechanisms can trigger adaptive immunity that once triggered counters cancer.
most common- strong word ?
2. Whether once triggered, the body‘: adaptive immunity is strong enough to tackle cancer.
Correct.
3. Whether other deadly diseases such as AIDS. diabetes, etc be tackled in the same manner as cancer.
O O scope.
4. Whether tackling cancer would have a significant enough impact on overall health care costs to offset the expense to develop the stimulant.
OO scope.
5. Whether is it possible to strengthen innate immunity to tackle cancer.
talking about strengthening of adaptive immunity not innate immunity.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts