Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [37]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [16]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Schools: Sloan (MIT)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Send PM
Re: The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to redu [#permalink]
Kudos
yes, stimulus is in fact a countable noun.

what got me thinking about amount was the word infinite but is should be
number of stimuli
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Re: The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to redu [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harshgmat wrote:
The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to reduce, in order to comprehend, the nearly infinite amount of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.

I have a question here...

Why comma is required between
...comprehend,the nearly....

Can someone explain modifiers in the sentence and what is it modifying?

a)a means to reduce
b)the nearly infinite amount of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment

daagh GMATNinja generis

Harshgmat , this sentence is well-written and very complicated in grammar lingo. I can understand why you are curious about it! :-)

I have never seen punctuation this sophisticated tested by GMAC in ANY OG question.*

The commas before and after "in order to comprehend" are needed to indicate that we are shifting for a moment to insert a SEMI-parenthetical explanation.

A true "parenthetical aside": Professor Melnyk, of course, laughed at the student's funny comment.
A true aside in the middle of an expression is always set off by two commas and can be removed from the sentence without altering its meaning.

The phrase "in order to comprehend" is a bit more than a parenthetical aside. Removing the phrase changes the meaning. But the phrase does interrupt.

Let's try the sentence without the commas.

The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to reduce in order to comprehend the nearly infinite number of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.

To reduce WHAT? Without a comma, we have no indication that "in order to comprehend" is an interruption (is a shift in THOUGHT and LOGIC). At that point, "to reduce" looks as if it has no direct object or a very elusive one.

Without a boatload of jargon and a sentence diagram, the best way to explain all the commas is this: if there is a distinct shift in the sentence, thought process, or logic, use a comma.

The phrase "in order to comprehend" and its commas indicate that we are interrupting the flow of the sentence to explain why the brain must first reduce the nearly infinite number of stimuli.

So we need a comma before and after "in order to comprehend":

1) to signal that the preceding verb "to reduce" is connected to the direct object "number," which immediately follows "comprehend"; and

2) to indicate that we are interrupting a verb phrase to explain WHY the brain needs to reduce the number of stimuli. That's a shift in thought.

Finally, the commas clarify meaning. The sentence is a bit unorthodox. Good prose often is unorthodox.

Are you confused by the meaning of the sentence?

Below is a very ugly version of the meaning of this sentence. Words in brackets indicate exactly that which the commas suggest without saying a word. I would rather read the sentence in the prompt (with the correct option B inserted).

MEANING:
The brain is [a type of] a stimulus reduction system.
[In other words, the brain is] a means to reduce the nearly infinite number of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.
[The brain functions as a means to reduce the number of stimuli] in order to comprehend [a then-manageable number of] the stimuli.

Quote:

If I were to explain all the modifiers in this sentence, I would be writing for days.

The question doesn't test modifiers. It tests

-- countability: Stimuli can be counted. We can have an infinite NUMBER of stimuli.
Eliminate A, D, E

(C) the means of reducing for comprehending
--idiom: THE as a definite article in (C) ruins an otherwise idiomatic construction.

-- verbs: the verbs in this option make no sense. "Reducing" is a TRANSITIVE verb in participle form that needs an object. (Reducing WHAT?) "For comprehending" is not an object.
Eliminate C

Answer B

*Just to clear any concern that you or others may have -- punctuation this intricate would not be tested.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
It's B right? I attacked it from the other end. guess stimuli is countable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, can a moderator add underline? It was a bit tough to understand the question without it.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Send PM
GMATT73, between A and B, how did you determine that stimuli is countable? Or is this just common knowledge?

GMATT73 wrote:
It's B right? I attacked it from the other end. guess stimuli is countable.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Stimuli can be broken down, categorized, labeled, and archived = countable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi, can a moderator add underline? It was a bit tough to understand the question without it.

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Mankodim wrote:

Done that, thanks for pointing out KUDOS added.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to reduce, in order to comprehend, the nearly infinite amount of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.

a)a means to reduce
b)the nearly infinite amount of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment

daagh GMATNinja generis

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
generis wrote:
Harshgmat wrote:

a)a means to reduce

daagh GMATNinja generis

Harshgmat , this sentence is well-written and very complicated in grammar lingo. I can understand why you are curious about it! :-)

I have never seen punctuation this sophisticated tested by GMAC in ANY OG question.*

The commas before and after "in order to comprehend" are needed to indicate that we are shifting for a moment to insert a semi-parenthetical explanation. (Parenthetical asides in the middle of a dependent clause always have commas before and after them, but this phrase is a bit more than a parenthetical, which can be removed from the sentence without altering its meaning. The common aside "of course" is a parenthetical.)

Let's try the sentence without the comma.

The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to reduce in order to comprehend the nearly infinite number of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.

To reduce WHAT? Without a comma, we have no indication that "in order to comprehend" is an interruption (is a THOUGHT and LOGIC shift).

At that point, "to reduce" looks as if it has no direct object, or a very complicated and elusive one.

Without a boatload of jargon and a sentence diagram, the best way to explain all the commas is this: if there is a distinct shift in the sentence, thought process, or logic, use a comma.

The phrase "in order to comprehend" indicates that we are interrupting the flow of the sentence to explain why the brain must first reduce the nearly infinite number of stimuli.

1) to signal that the preceding verb "to reduce" is connected to the direct object "number," which immediately follows "comprehend"; and

2) to indicate that we are interrupting a verb phrase to explain why the brain needs to reduce the number of stimuli. That's a shift in thought.

Finally, the commas clarify meaning. The sentence is a bit unorthodox. Good prose often is unorthodox.

Below is a very ugly version of the meaning of this sentence. Words in brackets indicate exactly that which the commas suggest without saying a word. I would rather read the sentence in the prompt (with the correct option B inserted).

MEANING:
The brain is [sort of] a stimulus reduction system.
[In other words, the brain is] a means to reduce the nearly infinite number of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.
[The brain functions as a means to reduce the number of stimuli] in order to comprehend [what is then a manageable number of] the stimuli.

Quote:

If I were to explain all the modifiers in this sentence, I would be writing for days.

-- countability. Stimuli can be counted. An infinite NUMBER of...
Eliminate A, D, E

idiom - "THE" as a definite article ruins an otherwise idiomatic construction.
In addition, the verbs in this option make zero sense
Eliminate (C) the means of reducing for comprehending
Reducing is a TRANSITIVE verb in participle form that needs an object. "For comprehending" is not an object.

Answer B

*Just to clear any concern that you or others may have -- punctuation this intricate would not be tested.

generis

Thanks for very detailed and eloborate reply.

This will surely be very helpful to other members also.

Keep it up!!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
generis wrote:
Harshgmat wrote:

a)a means to reduce

daagh GMATNinja generis

The commas before and after "in order to comprehend" are needed to indicate that we are shifting for a moment to insert a SEMI-parenthetical explanation.

A true "parenthetical aside": Professor Melnyk, of course, laughed at the student's funny comment.
A true aside in the middle of an expression is always set off by two commas and can be removed from the sentence without altering its meaning.

The phrase "in order to comprehend" is a bit more than a parenthetical aside. Removing the phrase changes the meaning. But the phrase does interrupt.

Let's try the sentence without the commas.

To reduce WHAT? Without a comma, we have no indication that "in order to comprehend" is an interruption (is a shift in THOUGHT and LOGIC). At that point, "to reduce" looks as if it has no direct object or a very elusive one.

The phrase "in order to comprehend" and its commas indicate that we are interrupting the flow of the sentence to explain why the brain must first reduce the nearly infinite number of stimuli.

2) to indicate that we are interrupting a verb phrase to explain WHY the brain needs to reduce the number of stimuli. That's a shift in thought.

MEANING:
The brain is [a type of] a stimulus reduction system.
[The brain functions as a means to reduce the number of stimuli] in order to comprehend [a then-manageable number of] the stimuli.

Quote:

-- countability: Stimuli can be counted. We can have an infinite NUMBER of stimuli.
Eliminate A, D, E

(C) the means of reducing for comprehending
--idiom: THE as a definite article in (C) ruins an otherwise idiomatic construction.

-- verbs: the verbs in this option make no sense. "Reducing" is a TRANSITIVE verb in participle form that needs an object. (Reducing WHAT?) "For comprehending" is not an object.
Eliminate C

Answer B

you are the man!! brilliant explanation!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 441
Send PM
Though I knew that stimuli is countable what made me choose option A is the word "infinte". How can we count infinite things ? There are infinite integers but it doesn't mean that we can count and list all of them. The meaning of the word "infinite" itself means "not countable".

Experts please help. I think this is highly debatable. Magoosh GMATNinja generis Abhi077 GMATNinjatwo ManhattanPrep
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
generis wrote:
 countability: Stimuli can be counted. We can have an infinite NUMBER of stimuli.
Eliminate A, D, E

You make it sound very straightforward. I suspect this is quite debatable.

Stimulus can be both countable and uncountable. In a case like this one, I would prefer to treat stimulus as uncountable. The number of stimuli referred to here, that the brain meets, is so vast that it becomes an uncountable amount.

I vote for A. At least I would have written that way.

https://www.wordreference.com/definition/stimulus

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to redu [#permalink]
TaizKaran wrote:
Though I knew that stimuli is countable what made me choose option A is the word "infinte". How can we count infinite things ? There are infinite integers but it doesn't mean that we can count and list all of them. The meaning of the word "infinite" itself means "not countable".

Experts please help. I think this is highly debatable. Magoosh GMATNinja generis Abhi077 GMATNinjatwo ManhattanPrep

You may, for example, have an infinite number of prime numbers. But I agree with you that this is far from decided. You can also have an infinite amount of prime numbers, because when something is no longer countable, there is no practical meaning left in the countability of a noun. And language is not a strictly grammatical system, but also highly semantical.

However, If we get some proof that GMAC are very strict with countability rules, there is a point for us to stick to that rule in the context of this test. I doubt though that GMAC would use a debatable example like this one as a decisive point on a real question.

Bottom line: Im not an expert.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts