It is currently 17 Jan 2018, 10:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 171

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 11:35
gtr022001 wrote:
garimavyas wrote:
can anyone please explain why 'was earning' is correct and had been earning is incorrect. i was confused between a and b.


there is no need to establish time sequencing, so we don't need past perfect continuous in (B)
there might be another problem with (B), the participial giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, it is ambiguous with what it is modifying, either the elephant or barbara wotton....




Can any one clarify my doubt the 'giving' seems to clearly modify the elephant in this case ?

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 41

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2014
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 28 [1], given: 13

Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 12:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humurous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what she earned as director of adult education for London.

(A) that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning
Correct. noted [modifier] that the elefant [modifier] was earning...
(B) that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning
Incorrect. No need of past perfect progressive.
(C) that there was an elephant giving rides to the children at the Whipsnade Zoo, and it earned
Incorrect. Meaning changed. She noticed that an elephant was earning (something).
(D) the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and was earning
Incorrect. Meaning changed. She noticed that an elephant was earning (something).
(E) the elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and that it earned
Incorrect. Meaning changed. She noticed that an elephant was earning (something).

I am going with A.

Kudos [?]: 28 [1], given: 13

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10263

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 02:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10263

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 14:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10263

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 00:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Feb 2016
Posts: 21

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 161

Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 04:55
can someone explain why it should not be earned

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 161

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3278

Kudos [?]: 3788 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 05:35
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
achintsodhi wrote:
can someone explain why it should not be earned


Suppose an action (action1) took place at a particular time in the past. Suppose another action ( action 2) was happening in the background when action 1 took place, i.e. action 2 started before action 1 took place, action 2 was simultaneously happening when action 1 took place and action 2 continued to happen for some time after action 1 took place.

In such case, action 1 is depicted by simple past and action 2 is depicted by past continuous. e.g.:

The cat jumped from the wall when it was raining.

In the subject question

Action 1: noted
Action 2: was earning

The earning started before the noting took place, earning was occurring simultaneously when noting took place, and earning continued to happen for some time after noting took place. Therefore past continuous is better than simple past to depict earning.

Kudos [?]: 3788 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 123

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 198

WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 03:26
sayantanc2k wrote:
achintsodhi wrote:
can someone explain why it should not be earned


Suppose an action (action1) took place at a particular time in the past. Suppose another action ( action 2) was happening in the background when action 1 took place, i.e. action 2 started before action 1 took place, action 2 was simultaneously happening when action 1 took place and action 2 continued to happen for some time after action 1 took place.

In such case, action 1 is depicted by simple past and action 2 is depicted by past continuous. e.g.:

The cat jumped from the wall when it was raining.

In the subject question

Action 1: noted
Action 2: was earning

The earning started before the noting took place, earning was occurring simultaneously when noting took place, and earning continued to happen for some time after noting took place. Therefore past continuous is better than simple past to depict earning.


The non underlined portion has the verb "Earned". Would that not become Action 1?

The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humurous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what she earned as director of adult education for London

[i]Would this be correct : The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humurous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo earned annually exactly what she earned as director of adult education for London

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 198

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 62

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 312

Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 10:10
Not clear why had been is wrong .. :?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 312

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Posts: 26

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 22:52
Can anyone please help me establish the structure of this sentence.
I could not locate the main verb for 'Barbara Wootton'
Moderators please help chetan2u carcass souvik101990 sayantanc2k

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2012
Posts: 356

Kudos [?]: 94 [1], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 23:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
gagan0001 wrote:
Can anyone please help me establish the structure of this sentence.
I could not locate the main verb for 'Barbara Wootton'
Moderators please help chetan2u carcass souvik101990 sayantanc2k


barbara wootton once noted that the elephant that gave..............was earning

below are the verbs for the subjects involved :

was earning is for the subject elephant

and 'once noted' for barbara.

hope it helps

Kudos [?]: 94 [1], given: 4

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3278

Kudos [?]: 3788 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 00:43
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shonakshi wrote:
Not clear why had been is wrong .. :?


The use of past perfect continuous " had been earning" would indicate that the "earning" of the elephant was hapenning BEFORE the "earning" of Barbara Wootton, which is not the case.

Kudos [?]: 3788 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3278

Kudos [?]: 3788 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 00:53
aditi2013 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
achintsodhi wrote:
can someone explain why it should not be earned


Suppose an action (action1) took place at a particular time in the past. Suppose another action ( action 2) was happening in the background when action 1 took place, i.e. action 2 started before action 1 took place, action 2 was simultaneously happening when action 1 took place and action 2 continued to happen for some time after action 1 took place.

In such case, action 1 is depicted by simple past and action 2 is depicted by past continuous. e.g.:

The cat jumped from the wall when it was raining.

In the subject question

Action 1: noted
Action 2: was earning

The earning started before the noting took place, earning was occurring simultaneously when noting took place, and earning continued to happen for some time after noting took place. Therefore past continuous is better than simple past to depict earning.


The non underlined portion has the verb "Earned". Would that not become Action 1?

The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humurous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what she earned as director of adult education for London

[i]Would this be correct : The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humurous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo earned annually exactly what she earned as director of adult education for London


Yes your interpretation is also correct (I say "also" because looking at the verb "earned" or "noted" as action 1 does not make a difference in analysis - both events happened at the same point in the past). However, ideally the earning of Barbara Wootton should also have been in past continuous, in order to indicate that the verb "noted" happened while the "earning" by the elephant and the "earning" by BW was happening in the background.

Kudos [?]: 3788 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 48

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 309

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 05:08
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
garimavyas wrote:
The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humurous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what she earned as director of adult education for London.

(A) that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning
(B) that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning
(C) that there was an elephant giving rides to the children at the Whipsnade Zoo, and it earned
(D) the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and was earning
(E) the elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and that it earned


I got this one wrong for was earning vs. had been earning, however on a closer look I feel A is correct and B is wrong. Here's my reasoning (I am skipping the unnecessary modifiers):

Consider what Barbara Wootton would have said/noted -- " The elephant is earning exactly what I earn"

Now the given statement is reported so we need to take all the verbs one step back in time so present becomes past, and present continuous past continuous. So the reported statement should read:
Barbara Wootton noted that the elephant was earning exactly what she earned...

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 309

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 1889

Kudos [?]: 1128 [0], given: 93

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 21:57
The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humurous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what she earned as director of adult education for London.

(A) that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning - Correct
(B) that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning - tense issue -- past perfect continuous is incorrect ;
(C) that there was an elephant giving rides to the children at the Whipsnade Zoo, and it earned - separates the two clauses by an "and" when we are actually trying to draw a connection there
(D) the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and was earning-- that is needed at the beginning of underline
(E) the elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and that it earned -- same as D


Answer A
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1128 [0], given: 93

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: IF YOU CAN DREAM IT, YOU CAN DO IT
Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 186

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 11:23
can someone kindly explain the meaning of the sentence, Im having trouble understanding the sentence.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2017, 11:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 56 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a h

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.