GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 16:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:53) correct 38% (02:01) wrong based on 496 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch every day to the entire student body—a significant expense in the school's annual budget. A vice principal was exploring cost-reducing measures that would not compromise nourishment. A local Italian restaurant offered the school a large number of pizzas at a vastly reduced bulk rate. The pizzas were served one day, and afterward, the vice principal calculated that the cost of the pizza and delivery was slightly more than the average cost of typical cafeteria lunch day. Therefore, he concluded that the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant.

Which of the following would be most useful for evaluating the conclusion drawn by the vice principal?

(A) How many pizzas were uneaten at the end of that day's lunch.

(B) Whether pizza provides the same level of nutrition as a typical cafeteria lunch.

(C) Whether another Italian restaurant in this town would provide a similar deal and offer free delivery.

(D) Whether other, more expensive dishes from that Italian restaurant, would provide a more balanced and varied set of nutrients.

(E) Whether the faculty preferred the pizza to the typical cafeteria lunch.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Director
Director
G
Re: The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 06:07
Harley1980 wrote:
The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch every day to the entire student body --- a significant expense in the school's annual budget. A vice principal was exploring cost-reducing measures that would not compromise nourishment. A local Italian restaurant offered the school a large number of pizzas at a vastly reduced bulk rate. The pizzas were served one day, and afterward, the vice principal calculated that the cost of the pizza and delivery was slightly more than the average cost of typical cafeteria lunch day. Therefore, he concluded that the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant.

Which of the following would be most useful for evaluating the conclusion drawn by the vice principal?

A) How many pizzas were uneaten at the end of that day's lunch.
B) Whether pizza provides the same level of nutrition as a typical cafeteria lunch.
C) Whether another Italian restaurant in this town would provide a similar deal and offer free delivery.
D) Whether other, more expensive dishes from that Italian restaurant, would provide a more balanced and varied set of nutrients.
E) Whether the faculty preferred the pizza to the typical cafeteria lunch.

+1 for A. Great Question Harley.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29
Re: The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2015, 05:28
Hi

Please explain in details how answer is A
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2015, 05:33
anupamadw wrote:
Hi

Please explain in details how answer is A

Hello anupamadw

The argument have a conclusion that pizzas were more expensife then lunch in cafeteria. But we have a gap in this story: How much pizzas were ordered? This was a first order so how do they know how much pizzas will be enough? Maybe they made a mistake and order too much pizzas? If this situation os true, then people just not eat a lot of pizzas and we potentially can save money by ordering much fewer pizzas.

The answer A asks about this moment.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '17
GMAT 1: 530 Q35 V28
GPA: 2.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 13:10
Hi !
I am not convinced with the answer .. at first glance I did choose A .. but the conclusion of the Vice principal clearly states ..
Therefore, he concluded that the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant....
Now I take option C ... it is posing a question that asks if there is any other restaurant that can offer a similar deal and free delivery ... If yes then conclusion validated ... if no then yes we cannot replace cafeteria lunch with pizzas...
and now i tilt to C....
Could you please correct me if I am wrong..
Also for A .. how many pizzas were left uneaten? many ... few... none ...?
many,none ... could be because of miscalculation of the requirement ...??
I feel we need to answer this...
could you help mikemcgarry...
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 18:49
Harley1980 wrote:
The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch every day to the entire student body --- a significant expense in the school's annual budget. A vice principal was exploring cost-reducing measures that would not compromise nourishment. A local Italian restaurant offered the school a large number of pizzas at a vastly reduced bulk rate. The pizzas were served one day, and afterward, the vice principal calculated that the cost of the pizza and delivery was slightly more than the average cost of typical cafeteria lunch day. Therefore, he concluded that the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant.

B) Whether pizza provides the same level of nutrition as a typical cafeteria lunch.
C) Whether another Italian restaurant in this town would provide a similar deal and offer free delivery.
D) Whether other, more expensive dishes from that Italian restaurant, would provide a more balanced and varied set of nutrients.

this is an evaluate type of questions.
when answering the questions in the answer choices, we have to take 2 extremities. The correct answer choice, will be either a strengthener or a weakener of the argument, depending on the answer we give to it.

A. if there were no leftovers, then YES - pizza is not a good option. if there were a lot of uneaten pizzas, then the school ordered more than needed. thus, the costs CAN be reduced.
B - out of scope
C - irrelevant. delivery doesn't cost much (I don't think > 50$ at least..so no)
D - more expensive - not cost effective
E - preferences are out of scope.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HKU MBA"19 (A)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 17:41
This is my analysis.
Whenever there is an assumption question then try to accomplish one task. Try to weaken the argument.

The author concludes that no money can be saved by switching to pizza.
Lets consider the fact that we need to weaken this solution. Answer will tell us something that there is a way to decrease the cost.

A) How many pizzas were uneaten at the end of that day's lunch. hmmm we have an answer. if i know how many were not eaten and dumped in the bin then next time i will order less pizzas and will decrease my cost. I know decrease cost. I don't know. no decrease in cost
B) Whether pizza provides the same level of nutrition as a typical cafeteria lunch. This is not the topic of discussion. It is the expense.
C) Whether another Italian restaurant in this town would provide a similar deal and offer free delivery. We do not want to know this. The argument clearly says that it has to be "this " restaurant.
D) Whether other, more expensive dishes from that Italian restaurant, would provide a more balanced and varied set of nutrients. Again it is nutrients which is not what i want to know here. It is about expense from pizza
E) Whether the faculty preferred the pizza to the typical cafeteria lunch. Faculty preference i do not care. Only thing i care is expense from the pizza
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 21:13
Harley1980 wrote:

The conclusion was about whether money was saved and not about whether food should be ordered from outside.

The best option to evaluate that will be to see how much they ordered.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 11:49
Fell into B trap thinking it was related to nourishment. It is the cost that should be looked.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 11:49
Fell into B trap thinking it was related to nourishment. It is the cost that should be looked at.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 22:23
I don't agree with OA here.

First off, both these options are very open ended with their own assumption.
In real world, equal quantity is compared to consider which deal is good.

Lets say, there are 2 suppliers and provide A & B deal with same variant in tax, delivery terms etc. Now which deal is best, to know it, you have to consider same parameters.

he concluded that the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant. => This is best on only 1 deal. so assumption here is

1 Local restaurant = All local restaurant price (Prethinking : 2)
Now assumption inbuilt here is "Delivery terms" makes a difference.

Assumption 2 is that quantity for both Lunches are same : Consider this you need a plate per student, while in Pizza lunch, 2 people can share a pizza. Has that been considered already by Principal.?

So IMO both A & C makes sense.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 01:30
abrakadabra21 wrote:

Lets say, there are 2 suppliers and provide A & B deal with same variant in tax, delivery terms etc. Now which deal is best, to know it, you have to consider same parameters.

he concluded that the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant. => This is best on only 1 deal. so assumption here is

Assumption 2 is that quantity for both Lunches are same : Consider this you need a plate per student, while in Pizza lunch, 2 people can share a pizza. Has that been considered already by Principal.?

Here, the conclusion is "the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant."

Premise : The pizzas were served one day, and afterward, the vice principal calculated that the cost of the pizza and delivery was slightly more than the average cost of typical cafeteria lunch day.

Assumption: The quantity of pizza served and the quantity of free lunch on regular days is the same.

Notice the word in the conclusion "this restaurant.".

Principal said we cannot save money by buying pizza from this restaurant.. So, we need to maintain our scope till this restaurant only.

C is talking about other restaurant. It is irrelevant here as the claim is made for one restaurant only.

A is as per our pre thinking. If lets say none of the pizzas were left out, then the claim made by the principal is strengthened. BUT if pizzas were actually not eaten or were actually wasted and then the principal could ask the company to reduce the quantity before making such a claim. hence, a weaker.

Thus, A is the BEST answer.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 02:11
abhimahna wrote:
abrakadabra21 wrote:

Here, the conclusion is "the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant."

Premise : The pizzas were served one day, and afterward, the vice principal calculated that the cost of the pizza and delivery was slightly more than the average cost of typical cafeteria lunch day.

Assumption: The quantity of pizza served and the quantity of free lunch on regular days is the same.

Notice the word in the conclusion "this restaurant.".

Principal said we cannot save money by buying pizza from this restaurant.. So, we need to maintain our scope till this restaurant only.

C is talking about other restaurant. It is irrelevant here as the claim is made for one restaurant only.

A is as per our pre thinking. If lets say none of the pizzas were left out, then the claim made by the principal is strengthened. BUT if pizzas were actually not eaten or were actually wasted and then the principal could ask the company to reduce the quantity before making such a claim. hence, a weaker.

Thus, A is the BEST answer.

Oops I missed this "This restaurant" thing. :oops: Now worried about actual GMAT
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 03:18
Premise : lets reduce cost by offering pizza in place of a day's lunch. cost of pizza was a bit more.
Conclusion : the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant.
To achieve : answer following question in + and - and find if this exerciser will strengthening and weakening the argument.

A) How many pizzas were uneaten at the end of that day's lunch. --- let just say nothing left. this means that pizza was costly. while if 10 pizza left then next time order 10 less pizza and it might be able to save some bucks for us. correct answer.
B) Whether pizza provides the same level of nutrition as a typical cafeteria lunch. ---- We are trying to save some money.
C) Whether another Italian restaurant in this town would provide a similar deal and offer free delivery. ---- We are concerned with "this restaurant".
D) Whether other, more expensive dishes from that Italian restaurant, would provide a more balanced and varied set of nutrients. --- we need pizza only.
E) Whether the faculty preferred the pizza to the typical cafeteria lunch. --- who cares about the faculty.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 00:54
The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch every day to the entire student body—a significant expense in the school's annual budget. A vice principal was exploring cost-reducing measures that would not compromise nourishment. A local Italian restaurant offered the school a large number of pizzas at a vastly reduced bulk rate. The pizzas were served one day, and afterward, the vice principal calculated that the cost of the pizza and delivery was slightly more than the average cost of typical cafeteria lunch day. Therefore, he concluded that the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant.

(A) How many pizzas were uneaten at the end of that day's lunch.

(B) Whether pizza provides the same level of nutrition as a typical cafeteria lunch.

(C) Whether another Italian restaurant in this town would provide a similar deal and offer free delivery.

(D) Whether other, more expensive dishes from that Italian restaurant, would provide a more balanced and varied set of nutrients.

(E) Whether the faculty preferred the pizza to the typical cafeteria lunch.

I chose the option B because it talks about the level of nutrition which is also a concern as mentioned in the second line. But remember we focus on the main conclusion of the argument which is “the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant.”

Nutrition is not in the scope of the argument. So, we can easily eliminate B and D.

It doesn’t matter what the faculty preferred as long as the cost was taken care of because that’s the main focus of the argument.

C is incorrect, as perfectly explained by abhimahna, because we are only talking about this restaurant. Any other restaurant will not be the focus of this argument.

A is our answer. If more pizzas were left that means the ordering of the pizzas was not done correctly and it might have caused the prices to go up and the school ended up spending more. It strengthens the conclusion that the school could not save money by replacing a day of cafeteria lunch with a day of pizza from this restaurant.
On the other hand if less pizzas or none of the pizzas were uneaten (all the pizzas were eaten) that means the school might have ordered the pizzas correctly which might have saved money. So this is a weakner.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch &nbs [#permalink] 20 Apr 2018, 00:54

The cafeteria of a certain elementary school provides a free lunch

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap