It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 37

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 5

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT Date: 05-28-2012
GPA: 3.23
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2011, 06:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (00:36) correct 45% (00:57) wrong based on 224 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees should retain all pensions indefinitely or be allowed to cash them in at retirement.

a)that employees should retain all pensions
b)that all pensions be retained by employees
c)the retaining by employees of all pensions
d)employee's retension of all pensions
e)employees to retain all pensions
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 5

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2011
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Re: MR SC problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2011, 07:59
I think the correct answer is B,
as "be retained ... " is parallel to "be allowed.."
can you please post OE ??

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 42

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 889

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: MR SC problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2011, 10:34
Gavan wrote:
The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees should retain all pensions indefinitely or be allowed to cash them in at retirement.

a)that employees should retain all pensions
b)that all pensions be retained by employees
c)the retaining by employees of all pensions
d)employee's retension of all pensions
e)employees to retain all pensions



Choice B change the meaning and make the pronoun "them" refer wrong antecedent. "all pensions" cannot "be allowed to cash".

Correct choice is E
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2010
Posts: 281

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: MR SC problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2011, 01:46
+1 for E for ||

to retain || to cash

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 889

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: MR SC problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2011, 20:37
prab wrote:
+1 for E for ||

to retain || to cash


Nope, to retain not parallel with to cash. If those two verb are ||, how can you explain with "be". Just see the pronoun "them" in underlined part. "them" in choice B have clearer antecedent "pensions" instead of "employees". If use choice B, the non-underlined part will become "pensions be allowed to cash them (pensions or employees) in at retirements.
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 240

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 36

Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Re: MR SC problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2011, 21:09
Gavan wrote:
The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees should retain all pensions indefinitely or be allowed to cash them in at retirement.

a)that employees should retain all pensions
b)that all pensions be retained by employees
c)the retaining by employees of all pensions
d)employee's retension of all pensions
e)employees to retain all pensions


be allowed to cash them -> suggests that employees needs to be the subject
B, C and D out

E is the only option that treats employees to retain and employees be allowed - idiomatic and parallel

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2011
Posts: 300

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 11

WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Re: MR SC problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2011, 00:22
||. looking for to/be retain. B has wrong pronoun reference. E.

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 11

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 434

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 181

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 07:49
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees should retain all pensions indefinitely or be allowed to cash them in at retirement.

a)that employees should retain all pensions
b)that all pensions be retained by employees
c)the retaining by employees of all pensions
d)employee's retension of all pensions
e)employees to retain all pensions

If we split the sentence according to choice E, we get,

1. The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring employees to retain all pensions
2. The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring employees be allowed to cash pensions in at retirement

As I know,
There are two possible constructions after ‘require’. One is ‘someone requires someone else to do something’, the other is the uses in subjunctive.

Split 1: Follows the 1st uses of 'require'
Split 2: Tries to follow the second uses of 'require', but misses subjunctive 'that'. Is it correct?

Correct me if I am wrong.
_________________

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 181

Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Posts: 586

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 231

Location: United States (LA)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 04:48
confused between choices B and E
choice B uses passive voice whereas E uses active voice.
I think that gmat uses active voice whereever possible
correct me if i am wrong

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 231

Chat Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 574

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 06:25
I am not sure I understood the explanation.

Could someone please post the OE?

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3148

Kudos [?]: 3280 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 09:19
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
warriorguy wrote:
I am not sure I understood the explanation.

Could someone please post the OE?


In command subjunctive mood, the verb in it's raw form is to be used. Command subjunctive is used for certain "bossy" verbs such as "demand", "require" etc.

I demand that you go there... right
I demand that you should go there... wrong

A: Because of wrong usage of command subjunctive (as described above), A is wrong.

B: Option B uses command subjunctive correctly (though in passive voice) - However the requirement is from employees, not from pensions. Therefore "employees" should be the subject of the clause in subjunctive mood.

C: Use of gerund with "requiring" is awkward. The requirement is from employees, not from retaining.

D: The requirement is from employees, not from retention.

Kudos [?]: 3280 [0], given: 22

Chat Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 574

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 10:49
sayantanc2k wrote:
warriorguy wrote:
I am not sure I understood the explanation.

Could someone please post the OE?


In command subjunctive mood, the verb in it's raw form is to be used. Command subjunctive is used for certain "bossy" verbs such as "demand", "require" etc.

I demand that you go there... right
I demand that you should go there... wrong

A: Because of wrong usage of command subjunctive (as described above), A is wrong.

B: Option B uses command subjunctive correctly (though in passive voice) - However the requirement is from employees, not from pensions. Therefore "employees" should be the subject of the clause in subjunctive mood.

C: Use of gerund with "requiring" is awkward. The requirement is from employees, not from retaining.

D: The requirement is from employees, not from retention.








Now that I think about the options - its clear to be - the form is bossy verb + that + subject + Command Sub:

Subject should be employees and not pension -


As usual, thanks sayantanc2k

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2015
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.51
Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 16:57
warriorguy wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
warriorguy wrote:
I am not sure I understood the explanation.

Could someone please post the OE?


In command subjunctive mood, the verb in it's raw form is to be used. Command subjunctive is used for certain "bossy" verbs such as "demand", "require" etc.

I demand that you go there... right
I demand that you should go there... wrong

A: Because of wrong usage of command subjunctive (as described above), A is wrong.

B: Option B uses command subjunctive correctly (though in passive voice) - However the requirement is from employees, not from pensions. Therefore "employees" should be the subject of the clause in subjunctive mood.

C: Use of gerund with "requiring" is awkward. The requirement is from employees, not from retaining.

D: The requirement is from employees, not from retention.








Now that I think about the options - its clear to be - the form is bossy verb + that + subject + Command Sub:

Subject should be employees and not pension -


As usual, thanks sayantanc2k



I have the same doubt, why ''that' is missing in the correct answer?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Chat Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 574

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 01:13
DML88 wrote:

I have the same doubt, why ''that' is missing in the correct answer?











Hi DML88,

Require can take either of the two forms - infinitive (to) and command subjunctive form: IF you observe option e then the form is "to" form.

a)that employees should retain all pensions
b)that all pensions be retained by employees
c)the retaining by employees of all pensions
d)employee's retension of all pensions
e)employees to retain all pensions

Other verbs which can infinitive and command subjunctive are : ask, intend, beg, order, urge.

I hope that helps.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2015
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.51
Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 04:46
warriorguy wrote:
DML88 wrote:

I have the same doubt, why ''that' is missing in the correct answer?











Hi DML88,

Require can take either of the two forms - infinitive (to) and command subjunctive form: IF you observe option e then the form is "to" form.

a)that employees should retain all pensions
b)that all pensions be retained by employees
c)the retaining by employees of all pensions
d)employee's retension of all pensions
e)employees to retain all pensions

Other verbs which can infinitive and command subjunctive are : ask, intend, beg, order, urge.

I hope that helps.


Thank you! It is clear now and also make more sense in the question. Answer (E) keeps the meaning.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2016, 04:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.