GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The CEO said that opening new markets in China, especially in Shangha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The CEO said that opening new markets in China, especially in Shangha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jan 2018, 12:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:14) correct 24% (01:13) wrong based on 149 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The CEO said that opening new markets in China, especially in Shanghai, and in the developing economies of southeast Asia, such as Vietnam, where the corporation’s sales revenue has been the most robust over the past three years, and this course of action gives the most support to the their long term vision for an international presence in the sector.

(A) and this course of action gives the most support to the their long

(B) and this course of action gives the most support to the corporation’s long

(C) give the most support to the their long

(D) gives the most support to the its long

(E) gives the most support to the corporation’s long

Originally posted by chesstitans on 11 Jan 2018, 06:49.
Last edited by chesstitans on 11 Jan 2018, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: The CEO said that opening new markets in China, especially in Shangha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 09:17
It's and their can not be used as previously corporation's sales is mentioned
This can not be used for replacement of noun

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SVP
SVP
P
Re: The CEO said that opening new markets in China, especially in Shangha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 09:30
akash3074 wrote:
C

Sent from my SM-G610F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

E is the answer. You must have missed something important.
I have many other questions for practice, follow me, or search my posts through my profile.
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 10:23
Can somebody Explain E is correct ?

Please +1 Kudos

“Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 10:46
gmatFalcon wrote:

The CEO said that opening new markets in China, especially in Shanghai, and in the developing economies of southeast Asia, such as Vietnam, where the corporation’s sales revenue has been the most robust over the past three years, and this course of action gives the most support to the their long term vision for an international presence in the sector.

(A) and this course of action gives the most support to the their long

(B) and this course of action gives the most support to the corporation’s long

(C) give the most support to the their long

(D) gives the most support to the its long

(E) gives the most support to the corporation’s long

E is correct for two reasons

Sentence correction is not only about grammar but also about gramatically corrected sentences that make sence :) and avoiding wordy phrases in many cases :-)

ok So CEO that opening markets in Shanhai and South east Asia where the corporation`s sales revenue has been robust gives the most support to the copropration`s long etccc

does it make sence ?

corpration`s sales revenue refers to gives the most support

now simply put other options ? and ask yourseld does it make sence ? :)

In English I speak with a dictionary, and with people I am shy.

SVP
SVP
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 12:04
gmatFalcon wrote:

first, I want to apologize for forgetting to underline the sentence.
Now, I will explain. You need to follow the common method of SC question. That is, this question has the split 2-1-2 of the verb this course will give vs "give" vs "gives"
Next, you will notice that one option has a run-on error.
You will easily figure out the rest.
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 16:37

Official Explanation

Split #1: the pronoun problem. Whose "long term vision"? It's the corporation's long term vision. First of all, "corporation" is singular, so the plural pronoun "their" is wrong. Though "its" in (D) is singular, it is not entirely clear what that pronoun would be referring to. Thus, it would be clearest to use "corporation's", and only choices (B) & (E) do this.

Split #2: missing verb mistake. Except for the first three words, the entire sentence is part of a gigantic "that" clause. The subject of the "that" clause is the gerund phrase begin with "opening." This subject needs a verb. Choices (A) & (B) follow this long subject and modifiers with the word "and", and start a new clause. The subject never gets a verb—this is the famous missing verb mistake. Choices (A) & (B) are not correct. Choices (C) through (E) rectify this, by giving the subject "opening" a form of the verb "to give."

The only possible answer is (E).

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: The CEO said something in the past. I thought that when we have something said in the past we have to change the verbs, maybe using a hypothetical "would" instead.

A: When you are quoting someone or saying "what they said," you are not required to adjust their verbs into a different tense even though the event of them speaking occurred in the past. Your goal is to actually repeat what they said. This is a tricky concept. But, in general, if you are quoting someone or attempting to paraphrase them, you can use the same verb tenses they used at the time they were speaking.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning

Intern
Intern
B
The CEO said that opening new markets in China, especially in Shangha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 23:55
Trying to solve this by cutting the fluff technique:

The CEO said that opening new markets in China,especially in Shanghai,and in the developing economies of southeast Asia, such as Vietnam, where the corporation’s sales revenue has been the most robust over the past three years, and this course of action gives the most support to the their long term vision for an international presence in the sector.

(A) and this course of action gives the most support to the their long Does not makes sense Does not make sense and lacks VERB

(B) and this course of action gives the most support to the corporation’s long Does not make sense and lacks VERB

(C) give the most support to the their long (Gives is correct verb SINCE <opening new markets> is singular)

(D) gives the most support to the its long (it has ambiguous antecedant)

(E) gives the most support to the corporation’s long CORRECT
GMAT Club Bot
The CEO said that opening new markets in China, especially in Shangha &nbs [#permalink] 21 Aug 2018, 23:55

The CEO said that opening new markets in China, especially in Shangha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap