It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The city has proposed a number of water treatment and conservation pro

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 79

Re: The city has proposed a number of water treatment and conservation pro [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 01:06
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts/ chetan2u,

Can we eliminate A,C and E on basis of redundancy (Enough +So)...??

Hi chetan2u / daagh ,

Can you please clear my doubt...?

Thanks

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8321 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)
Re: The city has proposed a number of water treatment and conservation pro [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 06:59
PrakharGMAT
The intent is to say that the costs are excessively high. Whereas, ‘high enough’ means that the costs are high sufficiently. It can be seen that there is a paradox in-built in the phrase ‘high enough’.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8321 [0], given: 366

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 10:41
daagh wrote:
PrakharGMAT
The intent is to say that the costs are excessively high. Whereas, ‘high enough’ means that the costs are high sufficiently. It can be seen that there is a paradox in-built in the phrase ‘high enough’.

Hi daagh,

Can you please elaborate....?

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 18:35
PrakharGMAT wrote:
daagh wrote:
PrakharGMAT

Hi daagh,

Can you please elaborate....?

Sense of the sentence when using high enough:
The water bills may NOT be excessively high, but they are high enough so as to raise alarm.
There is a level of cost that raises alarm - the bills are at least above that level.

Sense of the sentence when using so high:
The water bill is excessively high - so high that they raise alarm.
There is a level of cost that raises alarm - the bills are so high that they are above that level.

The blue highlighted portions depict the paradox.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 15:57
daagh wrote:
Grammar Point: Only ‘Who’ can be used for humans. ‘Who’ cannot be used anyone or any people other than humans. However, ‘whose’ can be used for humans as well as for other lower animates such as cattle, birds, or so on. ‘Whose’ can also be used for inanimate ones like tables and projects. This is because there is no other word than ‘whose’ that can replace it, while still carrying the possessive meaning. Can you think of any such word?

Some body said costs is the real subject. Nay; it is the projects which is actually the object of the main cluse that becomes the subject of the subordinate clause and gets represented by a relative possessive pronoun ‘whose’, in order to avoid the repetition of saying “projects’”.

How about "of which cost will raise water bills so high that" ?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 10:17
tinateng wrote:
daagh wrote:
Grammar Point: Only ‘Who’ can be used for humans. ‘Who’ cannot be used anyone or any people other than humans. However, ‘whose’ can be used for humans as well as for other lower animates such as cattle, birds, or so on. ‘Whose’ can also be used for inanimate ones like tables and projects. This is because there is no other word than ‘whose’ that can replace it, while still carrying the possessive meaning. Can you think of any such word?

Some body said costs is the real subject. Nay; it is the projects which is actually the object of the main cluse that becomes the subject of the subordinate clause and gets represented by a relative possessive pronoun ‘whose’, in order to avoid the repetition of saying “projects’”.

How about "of which cost will raise water bills so high that" ?

"My pen" and "pen of mine" mean the same.

Thus....yes, the construction you posted above makes sense.... :

whose cost: project's cost
cost of which: cost of project.

However it would be preferable to say "cost of which" rather than "of which cost".

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 23:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 20:57
goodyear2013 wrote:
The city has proposed a number of water treatment and conservation projects the cost of which raises water bills high enough so that even environmentalists are beginning to raise alarms.

A) the cost of which raises water bills high enough so that
B) at a cost raising water bills so high that
C) at a cost which raises water bills high enough so
D) whose cost will raise water bills so high that
E) whose cost will raise water bills high enough so that

Hi, can anyone explain what is wrong with B & C, please.

in b, at a cost modify proposed, . this modification is not logic

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 64

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 10:24
A. the cost of which raises water bills high enough so that (so that alters the meaning of the sentence. It says government proposed X and Y which raised Z so that .....
B. at a cost raising water bills so high that raising is wrong
C. at a cost which raises water bills high enough so wrong idiom
D. whose cost will raise water bills so high that meaning is right and idiom is used correctly
E. whose cost will raise water bills high enough so that same as error A. Changes the meaning of the sentence

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 10:38
Guys, I have a doubt. Who decides the meaning of the sentence. I mean, the original sentence says some thing raises something high enough so that some thing happens. Now, E does retain that meaning given remaining arguments, why can't the answer be E

Sent from my Mi 4i using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

Re: The city has proposed a number of water treatment and conservation pro   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2017, 10:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

The city has proposed a number of water treatment and conservation pro

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap