GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The city of Littleville wishes to institute a congestion charge, in wh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The city of Littleville wishes to institute a congestion charge, in wh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2016, 23:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:37) correct 49% (01:45) wrong based on 667 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The city of Littleville wishes to institute a congestion charge, in which cars driving through the most crowded streets of Littleville, in the downtown area, would pay a fee when they did so. Proponents argue that, in these circumstances, most of the drivers in the city would choose to use outlying roads. This reduction in the traffic in downtown Littleville would help reduce the number of car accidents in the area.

The conclusion drawn in the above argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The outlying roads in Littleville would not present a prohibitive inconvenience for most of the drivers in Littleville who normally use the downtown roads.

B. Most of Littleville's outlying roads are equipped only to handle cars and not the kind of commercial trucks that often have to make downtown deliveries.

C. Drivers in Littleville who can afford the congestion charge are less likely to be involved in a car accident than those who cannot.

D. Cars driving through downtown Littleville are at greater risk of being involved in a car accident than those that use outlying roads.

E. Implementing a congestion charge in Littleville would eventually create such traffic on the outlying roads that the number of car accidents would increase.
Intern
Intern
Re: The city of Littleville wishes to institute a congestion charge, in wh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 00:14
Couldn't choose between C and D. Can someone explain why D is correct?
Senior CR Moderator
V
Re: The city of Littleville wishes to institute a congestion charge, in wh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 03:48
OreoShake wrote:
The city of Littleville wishes to institute a congestion charge, in which cars driving through the most crowded streets of Littleville, in the downtown area, would pay a fee when they did so. Proponents argue that, in these circumstances, most of the drivers in the city would choose to use outlying roads. This reduction in the traffic in downtown Littleville would help reduce the number of car accidents in the area.

The conclusion drawn in the above argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The outlying roads in Littleville would not present a prohibitive inconvenience for most of the drivers in Littleville who normally use the downtown roads.

B. Most of Littleville's outlying roads are equipped only to handle cars and not the kind of commercial trucks that often have to make downtown deliveries.

C. Drivers in Littleville who can afford the congestion charge are less likely to be involved in a car accident than those who cannot.

D. Cars driving through downtown Littleville are at greater risk of being involved in a car accident than those that use outlying roads.

E. Implementing a congestion charge in Littleville would eventually create such traffic on the outlying roads that the number of car accidents would increase.

Premise: most of the drivers in the city would choose to use outlying roads
Conclusion: reduction in the traffic in downtown Littleville => reduce the number of car accidents in the area.

If choice A is true, most of the drivers would choose to use outlying reads. However, this choice doesn't help explain why the number of car accidents could be reduced.

Same as choice A

This choice tries to explain the difference between who can afford the charge and who can't. However, this choice is irrelevent to the argument that traffic reduction in downtown could lead to the reduction in the number of car accidents in this area. Eliminated

Correct. Reduction in cars driving through downtown could clearly reduce the number of car accidents because switching from downtown to outlying roads could reduce the risk of accident.

This choice seems to weaken the aregument.

The answer is D

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 05:22
felixhamburg wrote:
Couldn't choose between C and D. Can someone explain why D is correct?

Premise: Traffic is diverted from A to be B
Conclusion: Accidents will reduce.

The people who CAN afford a fee, MAY or MAY NOT choose to pay the fee. Hence the people who are less prone to accidents (i.e. people who CAN afford) MAY or MAY NOT be the majority drivers in the downtown area. Since an assumption must satisfy a "must be true" condition, option C is incorrect. Option C can be a strengthening statement, but not a mandatory assumption.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 19:33
D for me :
C is trap answer which states the drivers likelyhood instead of discussing about number of car accidents. Only D states it .
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 06:54
The conclusion is stated as "This reduction in the traffic in downtown Littleville would help reduce the number of car accidents in the area."

Thus we are necessarily talking about reduction in traffic in downtown area of Littleville. Whether it reduces accidents in outlying roads is of no relation with the conclusion. So how can 'D' be the correct answer.

Choice D is within the scope and talks about the reduction in traffic in Littleville downtown itself.

Experts please help in solving my query.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 09:53
Can somebody explain Why A is wrong , keeping in mind that we are only concerned with decreasing accidents in the downtown area and not the whole city?

My Reason for A : (Using Negation technique) : If outlying road does provide prohibitive inconvenience nobody is gonna reroute despite of the fees . Hence no decrease is congestion in downtown and thus still more accidents . Conclusion falls apart

My reasons against D : Cars at outlying area are at more risk of accident , still applying fees would decrease accidents in downtown area (As per conclusion we are only concerned about decreasing accidents in downtown area). Conclusion still holds
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 11:38
I have the same doubt.

Can somebody explain Why A is wrong , keeping in mind that we are only concerned with decreasing accidents in the downtown area and not the whole city?

My Reason for A : (Using Negation technique) : If outlying road does provide prohibitive inconvenience nobody is gonna reroute despite of the fees . Hence no decrease is congestion in downtown and thus still more accidents . Conclusion falls apart

My reasons against D : Cars at outlying area are at more risk of accident , still applying fees would decrease accidents in downtown area (As per conclusion we are only concerned about decreasing accidents in downtown area). Conclusion still holds
Director
Director
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 12:18

The assumption question the answer choice must always be true and can pass the negation test.ie if the choice is negated then the conclusion will not stand true.

Option C and Option D are the most appropriate choices to discuss as the rest are clearly out of scope.

Option c mentiones that the drivers who are able to afford are less likely to be involved in accident, but that does not mean that those drivers will always be going through the paid path and not through the outer way,also they dont make the majority drivers to be using the ways.therfore option C is incorrect.we are left with option D.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 10:50
sakshamgmat wrote:
I have the same doubt.

In my opinion, your reasoning is very much valid - this question may not be a typical Magoosh question, which are generally of high quality.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 11:56
D sounds like a strengthener, and C sounds as if it does not directly connect with the argument. This is not quite true.
Even if we negate C; in other words, even if people who can afford the fines are likely to cause the accident; fewer people are now able to drive through the downtown area, then the conclusion still holds.
VP
VP
D
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 02:20

Official Explanation

First, identify the conclusion of this argument: reducing traffic downtown will reduce car accidents. The evidence? Cars will be using outlying roads rather than downtown roads. The assumption, in this scenario, has to be a statement that links downtown roads to higher numbers of car accidents. (D) does this by creating an explicit link between the downtown area and the number of car accidents, showing that we have to assume that this danger is linked to the area for the argument to make sense.

The statement in (A) only engages with the feasibility of the plan in terms of the outlying roads, not in terms of the plan’s ultimate goal (the need to focus on the ultimate goal is highlighted in the question’s focus on the argument’s conclusion).

(B) is primarily concerned with distinguishing between two different types of traffic, cars and trucks. This is not the main assumption driving this argument, as it doesn’t discuss car accidents at all.

The separation of drivers by class (C) is not relevant to this argument. Even wealthier people might prefer not to pay the charge, while some poorer people might be forced to pay the charge. We don't have any idea of what percent fall into this category of folks who can afford the charge. Moreover, even if someone wealthy easily can afford the charge, this does not necessarily mean that person will choose the route that involves paying the charge: in the real world, some people go out of their way to avoid the most picayune changes. So we can't determine how relevant this is. Furthermore, the focus on different types of drivers is outside the scope of the argument, which again focuses on downtown traffic and car accidents.

Finally, (E) only concerns car accidents on outlying roads. The car accident part would work for our argument, but this argument depends on a link between car accidents and the downtown area. This is certainly not an assumption, and in fact, it may be a weakener, so (E) should also be eliminated.

Answer = (D)

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 02:33
sayantanc2k wrote:
sakshamgmat wrote:
I have the same doubt.

In my opinion, your reasoning is very much valid - this question may not be a typical Magoosh question, which are generally of high quality.

I had the same problem with this question, to me the "area" describtion appears ambigious and it is not clear whether we are referring to only the city limits or the general county etc.

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

VP
VP
D
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 02:49
Arro44

If I may, Why not we keep things simple, for argument sake indeed. there are two part to reach other end or where ever peple going out side road and within city road, that way things will be easy.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension

Re: The city of Littleville wishes to institute a congestion charge, in wh &nbs [#permalink] 11 Aug 2018, 02:49

The city of Littleville wishes to institute a congestion charge, in wh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap