It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The city’s transit union is contemplating a strike in order to coerce

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
The city’s transit union is contemplating a strike in order to coerce [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 20:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:26) correct 49% (01:14) wrong based on 164 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The city’s transit union is contemplating a strike in order to coerce the mayor into accepting its workers’ demands for a new contract. However, union leaders are aware that a lack of public support for the union can decrease their leverages in negotiations.

The answer to which of the following questions would be LEAST relevant to the transit union’s consideration of whether to strike or not?

A. Does a significant portion of the city’s population believe the union’s current contract is unfair?
B. Would the transit strike severely inconvenience a great many of the city’s people?
C. Have previous strikes by the city’s transit workers been supported by the city’s residents?
D. Do the residents of the city hold the mayor in high regard?
E. Has the mayor clearly outlined the city’s position on the newcontract?

Source: McGraw-Hill's GMAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 179

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE: Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The city’s transit union is contemplating a strike in order to coerce [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 03:10
E might be least relevant to the transit union's consideration.

Rest of the statements relies on public interest to support for the union.

Sent from my KIW-L22 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

-Yuvaraj
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Stop searching someone to motivate you.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 43

Re: The city’s transit union is contemplating a strike in order to coerce [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 05:14
Why is the answer not D ? Can someone please explain?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 43

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 284

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '19 (I)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
sisirkant wrote:
Why is the answer not D ? Can someone please explain?

Posted from my mobile device

For option D,
If answer is YES, this implies that public is less likely to support the union because they believe that Mayor has taken the correct decision(As people hold the mayor in high regard). And, since public support is an important factor in the success of the strike, as mentioned in the argument, without it the strike is bound to fail.
So this is significant.
If the answer is NO, this implies that public is much more likely to support the union because they would believe that the Mayor hasn't taken the correct decision in regards to the union's demands(because the public believes that the mayor is less likely to make correct decisions as they don't hold him is high regard). So more support from the public implies higher chances of success in the strike.
So this is also significant.

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 284

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 06:22
If mayor has already outlined the city's position on the new contract, then they city is likely to keep its stand and not favor the strike. So E is relevant too.

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 284

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 06:37
rekhabishop wrote:
If mayor has already outlined the city's position on the new contract, then they city is likely to keep its stand and not favor the strike. So E is relevant too.

Mayor's own position, as an elected representative of the people, can also be referred to as the city's position.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 09:11
nitesh181989 wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:

Mayor's own position, as an elected representative of the people, can also be referred to as the city's position.

I don't quite follow that. :(

daagh sir, could you please help us out here? :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 10:42
rekhabishop wrote:
nitesh181989 wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:

I don't quite follow that. :(

daagh sir, could you please help us out here? :)

another way to look at this would be:

"Has the mayor clearly outlined the city’s position on the new contract?"

Whatever the answer for the above question may be, either a yes or no, would only tell the union if the city's position has been clearly stated or not. This answer in itself would give no indication of what the position actually is. In order to know that position, a better question would be on the lines of "if the Mayor has outlined the city's position, what is that position?"

Just my two cents...:)

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 17:54
nitesh181989 wrote:
another way to look at this would be:

"Has the mayor clearly outlined the city’s position on the new contract?"

Whatever the answer for the above question may be, either a yes or no, would only tell the union if the city's position has been clearly stated or not. This answer in itself would give no indication of what the position actually is. In order to know that position, a better question would be on the lines of "if the Mayor has outlined the city's position, what is that position?"

Just my two cents...:)

You know, I don't want to assume that the mayor would lie on the position of the city's position. If he simply took their opinion and drafted the new contract accordingly, wouldn't that be helpful to understand the public's response?

Rather than twisting it in a zillion ways, if you take it as is, it does impact the union's decision. :shock:

Re: The city’s transit union is contemplating a strike in order to coerce   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2017, 17:54

The city’s transit union is contemplating a strike in order to coerce

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap