GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The colorization of black-and-white films by computers is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Re: The colorization of black-and-white films by computers is de [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2014, 03:10
deepak1990verma wrote:
Part of the sentence with option E :

that the technique degrades major works of art , likening it to putting lipstick on a Greek statue .

meaning : techniques degrades the major works of art and technique links itself to putting the lipstick on a Greek statue . ------------- makes no sense at all .

Hello Deepak, you are right that this is indeed very confusing.

You have mentioned this is an "official guide" question. Can you let me know which version of "official guide" this is from. I have 13 th edition of official guide and could not find it there. Basically I wanted to know what is the official description of the choices.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2014, 07:13
VerbalHow wrote:
deepak1990verma wrote:
Part of the sentence with option E :

that the technique degrades major works of art , likening it to putting lipstick on a Greek statue .

meaning : techniques degrades the major works of art and technique links itself to putting the lipstick on a Greek statue . ------------- makes no sense at all .

Hello Deepak, you are right that this is indeed very confusing.

You have mentioned this is an "official guide" question. Can you let me know which version of "official guide" this is from. I have 13 th edition of official guide and could not find it there. Basically I wanted to know what is the official description of the choices.

VerbalHow ,

It is from OG10 -Q#229 .
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2014, 23:44
Thanks Deepak.

I looked at the description of answer choices, and OG doesn't really provide any further details.

I am already having a tough time in Verbal and these kind of questions further scare me...
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The colorization of black-and-white films by computers is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 10:58
'which' modifies the word or phrase just before the comma. In the statements above, it incorrectly modifies 'major works of art' in options A,B and C.

In D, the 'The Greek statue with lipstick' is compared to the technique - an incorrect comparison. Hence, D is eliminated.

However, in E, the technique is correctly compared with the process of putting lipstick on the statue. E is the answer

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 02:04
billyjeans wrote:
The colorization of black-and-white films by computers is defended by those who own the film rights, for the process can mean increased revenues for them; many others in the film industry, however, contend that the technique degrades major works of art, which they liken to putting lipstick on a Greek statue.

(A) which they liken to putting lipstick on a Greek statue

(B) which they liken to a Greek statue with lipstick put on it

(C) which they liken to lipstick put on a Greek statue

(D) likening it to a Greek statue with lipstick put on it

(E) likening it to putting lipstick on a Greek statue

which cannot modify the preceding noun here, it does not make sens; we could use in which in these situations

between d and e e is better in meaning
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 01:53
official answer

Choice E, the best answer, correctly and logically compares "the technique" of colorization to the act of "putting lipstick on a Greek statue". In A, B, and C, the relative pronoun "which" refers not to "the technique" but to the noun phrase immediately preceding it, "major works of art". As a result, these works are compared to "putting lipstick on".. in A, to "a Greek statue" in B, and to "lipstick" in C. Choice D corrects this problem by eliminating the "which" construction and supplying the pronoun "it", thus referring clearly to "the technique", but it illogically compares "the technique" to "a Greek statue"
Re: The colorization of black-and-white films by computers is   [#permalink] 25 May 2017, 01:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

The colorization of black-and-white films by computers is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap