GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 21:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relati

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Mar 2019, 01:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:11) correct 28% (01:03) wrong based on 240 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost are what drive value.

A. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost are what drive value

B. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to their cost is what drives value

C. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost is what is driving value

D. The combination of growth as well as return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost was what drove value

E. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost is what drives value

Originally posted by getgyan on 03 Oct 2012, 21:06.
Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Mar 2019, 01:18, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Re: The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2012, 00:34
getgyan wrote:
The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost are what drive value.
A. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost are what drive value
B. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to their cost is what drives value
C. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost is what is driving value
D. The combination of growth as well as return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost was what drove value
E. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost is what drives value

In this subject verb agreement problem, the subject is "combination".. Now when we have identified the subject, ignore everything that describes what the combination is of and re-read the sentence "of...". Whenever you see "of" followed by a subject, raise an alarm.

The combination relative to its cost are what drive value.

Now you see.. the singular subject "combination" does not agree with plural verb "are".

A. Above mentioned problem. Incorrect.
B. "their cost" is incorrect. The cost is of the combination. Incorrect.
C. The verb problem is fixed, but the verb form is changed from "drives" to "is driving" thus complicating and changing the meaning.
D. "was" is unnecessary.
E. "its cost", "is", "drives" . All correct usage. Correct.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge
Re: The combination of growth and return  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2015, 14:36
souvik101990 wrote:

A - Subject 'combination' does not agree with plural verb 'are'
B - Plural pronoun 'their' can not refer to singular 'combination'
C - Present Progressive Tense 'is driving' is not required to state a fact. Instead simple present tense is required
D - Switch to past tense 'was' 'drove' is wrong to state a fact which is true in present
E - Correct answer
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge
Re: The combination of growth and return  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2015, 22:24
This question primarily tests Subject -Verb & Pronoun agreement.

If we break the sentence and analyze, we arrive at two things:

1.) The combination of something is what drives value -Combination is singular and must take singular verbs "is" and "makes"
2.) The pronoun its correctly refers to capital (and not combination - Meaning plays a key role here). Use of "their" is wrong.
It's clear if you look at the phrase separately - "Return on capital relative to its cost"

Now look at the options. Easy to eliminate.

A. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost are what drive value -- Plural verbs used for combination

B. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to their cost is what drives value - their used to refer capital

C. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost is what is driving value - Present Progressive tense is unnecessary . Simple present will suffice

D. The combination of growth as well as return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost was what drove value - Past tense - Wrong . And I think the correct idiom is Combination of X and Y and not Combination X as well as Y - let me know if that's correct

E. The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relative to its cost is what drives value - Bingo ! Correct Answer (E)

Hence Correct Answer (E)
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 06:54
IDIOM :

Combination of X and Y

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2019, 01:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relati   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2019, 01:20

The combination of growth and return on invested capital (ROIC) relati

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics