It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 20:27
whamberto wrote:
I have chosen the answer D in this case:

A. The use of the word "nothing" is incorrect. It seems to create a double negative, but we are suggesting that we don't want ingredients that have been synthesized, not the reverse.

B. It is confusing to me what the last "that" refers to. Also, if the last "that" refers to foods, then it should be "have been" and not "has been."

C. The use of the word "or" is correct because any of the 3 elements present in food would mean that the food is not natural. By using the word "and" we are saying that all 3 are required before the food is not natural. Also, "nothing" creates a double negative similar to answer choice A.

D. The use of the word "or" is correct in this case and the meaning of this answer choice makes sense.

E. "And" is used incorrectly here.

well, i think "that "definitely refer to foods. You're right about the verb agreement, but this use also distorts the meaning.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 22:13
bsd_lover wrote:
The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word natural to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized.

A. or nothing that has been

B. or that has been

C. and nothing that is

D. or anything that has been

E. and anything

D
2/3 split The choice b/w "or" and " and" , "or" should be correct here. ( Foods that contain one of those preservatives are not natural--> intended meaning). The choice b/w "nothing" and "anything", "anything" should be correct because it goes with "do not contain".

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 148

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: MBA

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 286

Schools: Insead July'17

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2014, 04:28
divineacclivity wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 D

We need "or", not "and". The three items have not to be together. C and E out.
"Nothing" is not logical. The negation is already mentioned in "do not contain". With "nothing", we have a positive statement. (-)(-) = (+)

Hi,

That helps. One doubt:
Had E option been "or anything synthesized", would E be better than D (= or anything that has been synthesized) for concision?

thanks
Divine

I have the same concern..
Had E option been "or anything synthesized", would E be better than D (= or anything that has been synthesized) for concision?
Any reply ???

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 286

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2015, 10:59
we need or in the underlined sentence. C and E out. Also we need anything because the sentence is about food that DO NOT CONTAIN. Logically only D makes sense.

Best Choice: D

bsd_lover wrote:
The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word natural to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized.

B. or that has been

C. and nothing that is

E. and anything

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Schools: IIMA
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 01:44
D is obvious choice !!! Parallelism is answer :)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 00:53
D is the right answer. Or must be used rather than and.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2423 [0], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2015, 07:14
bsd_lover wrote:

B. or that has been

C. and nothing that is

E. and anything

I understand why D is correct but can't catch sense on this sentence.

We have healthy food without color, conservants or this food not synthesized and some commision forbid to call this food "natural".
So if I have natural corn for example and it does not contain color addition I can't call it "natural"
Why? What the point of this ban?

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2423 [0], given: 178

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 01:36
MorningRunner wrote:
divineacclivity wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 D

We need "or", not "and". The three items have not to be together. C and E out.
"Nothing" is not logical. The negation is already mentioned in "do not contain". With "nothing", we have a positive statement. (-)(-) = (+)

Hi,

That helps. One doubt:

thanks
Divine

Any reply ???

Hi,
I have the same concern. "that has been" seems redundant and even after removing this part the parallelism is unaltered (noun+adjective).
Can we have a definitive reply on this one?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 16:43
rajat311289 wrote:
MorningRunner wrote:
divineacclivity wrote:

Any reply ???

Hi,
I have the same concern. "that has been" seems redundant and even after removing this part the parallelism is unaltered (noun+adjective).
Can we have a definitive reply on this one?

I shall try to help. :) Your point makes sense. "or anything" is more concise than "or anything that has been". The difference is as follows:

or anything synthesized: synthesized is an adjective for anything. .. the usage is grammatically correct.
or anything that has been synthesized: has been synthesized is a verb in present perfect tense passive voice.. the usage is also grammatically correct.

However it not expected that one would have to reject a wrong option only because of this kind of concision issues; there is generally another problem in a wrong option. Even if a wrong answer pops with only a concision issue, it is expected to be more severe than the that in the example you have considered.

Another point here: There are 3 parallel elements in this example : 1. colour/flavour additives, 2. chemical preservative, and 3. anything that has been synthesized. Since the first 2 elements are adjective+noun combination, it is probably better to use anything synthesized, adjective+noun combination, for the 3rd element as well.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 16:49
Harley1980 wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

B. or that has been

C. and nothing that is

E. and anything

I understand why D is correct but can't catch sense on this sentence.

We have healthy food without color, conservants or this food not synthesized and some commision forbid to call this food "natural".
So if I have natural corn for example and it does not contain color addition I can't call it "natural"
Why? What the point of this ban?

Yes, I agree with you.. the sentence should have been:

The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word natural to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or anything that has been synthesized.

D

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 11:34
bsd_lover wrote:

DO NOT CONTAIN
1) color
2) preservatives
here we need OR to complete the list because NOT is used.

B. or that has been (or WHAT has been synthesized)

C. and nothing that is

E. and anything

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 113

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 03:52
Can anyone explain why do we need a prefect tense 'has' in D here? Had the 'E' option been "Or anything" would be correct? P

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jjindal wrote:
Can anyone explain why do we need a prefect tense 'has' in D here? Had the 'E' option been "Or anything" would be correct? P

Yes that would be correct. In that case "synthesized" would be a past participle acting as an adjective for "anything".

Why present perfect is a suitable option here: At the time of taking the decision whether to restrict, the action "synthesize" has been completed, but the effect of synthesis is still present, i.e. the decision whether to restrict still depends on the action "synthesize".

Nonetheless, a simple present would also be alright here, though the meaning would be slightly different.

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 11:18
Got it correct. Yay :). D is the right answer because when connected by 'or', the subject is always the noun closest to 'or' (before)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 14:36
The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word "natural" to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized.

Are the three things ( color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized) sign of "NATURAL".
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [2], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
iMyself wrote:
The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word "natural" to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized.

Are the three things ( color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized) sign of "NATURAL".
Thanks...

No they are not, but foods that DO NOT contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or anything that has been synthesized are.

Kudos [?]: 3631 [2], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 11:22
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word "natural" to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, [b]or nothing that has been synthesized.[/b]

Thanks...

No they are not, but foods that DO NOT contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or anything that has been synthesized are.

That means: the word "natural" is LIMITED. If the food contains color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or anything that has been synthesized, we can't use "natural" in those foods, right?
But, the main sentence says another meaning. 'Natural' is restricted to those foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical blah blah blah..... .That means: if my food contains color or flavor, chemical preservatives, blah blah blah then 'natural' is NOT restricted-I'm allowed to use 'natural' in those foods. What do you think brother. Am I right?
Also, why or is used here. If someone used and here, will there be any problem in meaning?
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 07:40
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word "natural" to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, [b]or nothing that has been synthesized.[/b]

Thanks...

That means: the word "natural" is LIMITED. If the food contains color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or anything that has been synthesized, we can't use "natural" in those foods, right?
But, the main sentence says another meaning. 'Natural' is restricted to those foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical blah blah blah..... .That means: if my food contains color or flavor, chemical preservatives, blah blah blah then 'natural' is NOT restricted-I'm allowed to use 'natural' in those foods. What do you think brother. Am I right?
Also, why or is used here. If someone used and here, will there be any problem in meaning?
Thanks...

Brother, I am not sure what you mean by "if my food contains color or flavor, chemical preservatives, blah blah blah then 'natural' is NOT restricted-I'm allowed to use 'natural' in those foods." It seems that you have a wrong understanding of the sentence. The sentence means that the use of the word "natural" is restricted to only those foods that do not contain those certain items - i.e. if the food contains those items, then the word "natural" canNOT be used.

The reason that "and" cannot be used comes from the logical equations:

NOT (A and B) = NOT A or NOT B
NOT (A or B) = NOT A and NOT B

If the above is not clear, then let me explain in words.

The food that does not contain (X, Y AND Z)

The statement implies that the food may still contain (only X) or (only Y) or (only Z) or (any combination of two of them) - the only thing that the food must not contain is all the three items together. However this is not the intended meaning.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 14:32
SPLIT1) "NOTHING" . YOU CANNOT USE THE WORD NOTHING BECAUSE IT IS A DOUBLE NEGATIVE. A AND C ARE OUT.

SPLIT2) IN B "OR THAT HAS BEEN" IS CHANGING THE MEANING OF THE SENTENCE TO REFER TO FOOD WHEN THE INTENTION OF THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE IS TO REFER TO THE ADDITIVES. B IS OUT.

SPLIT3) "AND ANYTHING" SIMILAR TO SPLIT2) IT CHANGES THE MEANING TO A MORE LOSE DEFINITION WHEN THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE SPECIFICALLY REFERS TO ADDIVITIES. WHY? "AND" IMPLIES THAT IT TAKES ONLY THE ABSENCE OF THIS ITEM TO MAKE THE FOOD NATURAL....WHEN IN FACT WE KNOW THERE IS A LAUNDRY LIST OF ITEMS THAT CAN MAKE THE FOOD NOT NATURAL. "OR", ON THE OTHER HAND, IS MORE INCLUSIVE IMPLYING THERE IS A LIST OF ITEMS THAT WOULD MAKE THE FOOD NOT NATURAL.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 09:31
bsd_lover wrote:

B. or that has been

C. and nothing that is

E. and anything

A "Do not contain" and "nothing" are double negatives.
B "That as been" is not parallel with the nouns in the list.
C "Do not contain" and "nothing" are double negatives.
D Correct.
E "And" illogically implies that all the conditions must be satisfied, when in fact only one of the three conditions must be met to restrict the use of the word "natural."

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use   [#permalink] 14 May 2017, 09:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap