GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 09:52

LIVE NOW:

Missing Clues in Data Sufficiency - Chat With Veritas  |  Kellogg & INSEAD R1 Apps Due TODAY - Join MBA Chat Room to Get Last-Minute Doubts Cleard

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The common perception that a two-year degree is worth less than a cred

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The common perception that a two-year degree is worth less than a cred  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 23:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:05) correct 33% (01:21) wrong based on 66 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The common perception that a two-year degree is worth less than a credential from a four-year college is disproved by the recent data published by the government. The data shows that the average first-year salaries of graduates with a two-year degree are $1,000 higher than those with a four year degree. Also considering that students with a two year degree earn for two more years than students with four year degrees, it is in the economic interests of the students to pursue two-year degrees rather than four year degrees.

Which of the following option statements would help the most to evaluate the given argument?

A A comparison of the proportion of students who graduate from a two year college and who remain unemployed in the first year after graduation with the corresponding figure for four year colleges.

B A comparison of data pertaining to the growth in earnings over years for graduates from two year colleges and for graduates from four year colleges.

C A comparison of data pertaining to the highest salaries paid to the graduates from four year colleges and graduates from two year colleges.

D A comparison of data pertaining to the average savings made by graduates from four year colleges and those made by graduates from two year colleges.

E A comparison of the total number of graduates from two year colleges and from four year colleges in the last one year.

I think this question is playing words. Clearly, the conclusion wants to talk about "the worth of 2-year degree vs that of 4-year degree". The value here is quite ambiguous; it is not clear whether the value of a degree all comes down to the salary, or the job opportunity.

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
B
The common perception that a two-year degree is worth less than a cred  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 08:55
Tough question.I think A) is not relevant here because we can assume that the averages account for unemployment in the first year salary part.I see no other way to eliminate A).If there is someother way can somebody please tell...
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The common perception that a two-year degree is worth less than a cred  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 09:14
redskull wrote:
Tough question.I think A) is not relevant here because we can assume that the averages account for unemployment in the first year salary part.I see no other way to eliminate A).If there is someother way can somebody please tell...

I believe "the economic interests" is the key word here. Nevertheless, the last sentence does not seem like a conclusion to me; there is no key transition words that indicate"the economic interests" as a premise.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The common perception that a two-year degree is worth less than a cred  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 10:36
chesstitans wrote:
redskull wrote:

I believe "the economic interests" is the key word here. Nevertheless, the last sentence does not seem like a conclusion to me; there is no key transition words that indicate"the economic interests" as a premise.

I think it is ok to assume "not working" as a part of economic interests.Not earning salary does impact the economic interests I feel.

cheers...

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Re: The common perception that a two-year degree is worth less than a cred &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jan 2018, 10:36

The common perception that a two-year degree is worth less than a cred

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap