It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will se

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will se [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2016, 16:28
Isn't "their" incorrect in (A)? If (A) were without this error, it would have sounded better among the answer choices.

Could someone clarify?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1180 [0], given: 29

Re: The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will se [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2016, 16:39
manhasnoname, if you read through the thread above, you'll see that the pronoun issue has been discussed quite a bit. I'm inclined to agree with you, although that leaves us with no correct answer!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1180 [0], given: 29

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 52

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 23:19
Many have found their ways to reach option A but this is not a GMAT like SC question. In GMAT SC, the correct answer can never be grammatically incorrect. It has to be concise and GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT.

No matter how hard one tries, one can't find an antecedent for "their" in option A. Stem starts with "company's efforts"; company is no where a plural and hence we are just talking about a single company, Period! "It's computers" bolsters the singularity of the company. No ambiguity left for singular vs plural subject.

Also the rival is a single company as the stem says "its chief rival" and not "rivals".

Hence, nowhere the question stem talks about more than one company. "their" must refer to company and not to visions and hence this option A, no matter is an OA, is plain incorrect. I don't understand that on what stead, people are defending "A" so hard.

I think Veritas should take this off their list. This appeared as second question in my mock and it contributed in spoiling my verbal score.

fozzzy wrote:
The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will set off an intense new phase with its chief rival, one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.

a) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.
b) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than their visions
c) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than by its visions
d) one that will be determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than its visions.
e) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers as by its vision.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
What is the referent for "their visions"

Kindly provide detailed explanations!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 52

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 59

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 07:10
A good parallel construction problem.Thanks for posting.

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 59

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 17:50
ankurgupta03 wrote:
The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will set off an intense new phase with its chief rival, one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.

a) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.
Correct
Correclty uses the idiom more by X than by Y

b) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than their visions
which modifies the touching noun, hence incorrect
c) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than by its visions
which modifies the touching noun, hence incorrect
d) one that will be determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than its visions.
should be than by its visions, parallelism error
e) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers as by its vision.
more by X as by Y is idiomatically wrong,
it should be more by X than by Y

I think people are often to quick to dismiss "which" because it modifies the touching noun. The fact is this could easily be a vital noun modifier and be modifying phase. However, even if we are using phase as the noun the sentence doesn't make sense and hence wrong. But you set a lot of people up to get a lot of wrong GMAT answers when you say which is wrong because it isn't touching. A which not touching is a clear GMAT trap and you need to be aware when it's vital and non vital.

The other mistake in B is not using the word by and in C using its visions which is singular and hence makes no sense. Though I do agree with some above that "their has no antecedent" still the sentence is clearly a plural comparison

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 22

Re: The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will se   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2017, 17:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will se

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap